Campfire Hashbrowns

WyoDoug

Ever wonder how people do restaurant grade hash browns from scratch? This is how I do it.

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)s russet potatoes, peeled
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp paprika, or to taste
Directions
  • Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water. Stir until water is cloudy, drain, and cover potatoes again with fresh cold water. Stir again to dissolve excess starch. This process also does two things: (1) stops the potatoes from turning dark, and (2) sets them for cooking and keeps crispness.
  • Drain potatoes well, pat dry with paper towels, and squeeze out any excess moisture.

• Freezing: If you want to prepare a batch for hunting, at this point, pack them into ziplock freezer bags. Do not compact or they will lump together.
  • Step 2
    Heat butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, not hottest part of fire. Sprinkle shredded potatoes into the hot butter and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
  • Step 3
    Cook potatoes until a brown crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir until potatoes are browned all over, about 5 more minutes.
These are some of the best hash browns I had when I first tried them.

Last edited:
I find if you parboil the potatoes with skin on like for potato salad.
I take them camping in the food cooler whole. I don't peel them and simply grate them into the hot Iron frying pan with whatever oil/dripping you have leftover from dinner. Cook and stir till as crispy as you want.
I like onions and peppers in mine but if you cook them together they make for less crispy potatoes.

Okay guys, I'm going to take potatoes to a whole new level. We buy 30 pounds of potatoes at a time. Peel 'em then cut them into 3/4 inch cubes. Get them into some hot water for a few minutes to help draw out the starch. Strain. Then pressure can them. Store in basement for the next five years. Well, actually three months because you will eat them all. Once canned, you can do deep fried, mashed, hash or whatever else comes to mind in a matter of minutes. We started doing this years ago out of necessity because the potatoes we get suck. They no longer last months. They last weeks. But it is all good because home canned potatoes are the best thing since sliced bread :)

Actually had them this morning. Homemade hash browns prepared pretty much as Doug described, but no spices - just salt and pepper. Softened some finely diced onions in bacon grease then added the shredded potatoes. 3 sunny side up farm fresh eggs on top and some bacon. Life is good! 😋

Attachments

• 6AE60216-290A-488B-B207-38E5CD64D33D.jpeg
    6AE60216-290A-488B-B207-38E5CD64D33D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Actually had them this morning. Homemade hash browns prepared pretty much as Doug described, but no spices - just salt and pepper. Softened some finely diced onions in bacon grease then added the shredded potatoes. 3 sunny side up farm fresh eggs on top and some bacon. Life is good! 😋
And the runnier the yolks, the better. LOL

Tried these today for breakfast at home. Definitely approve! Will be doing these again!

Have to start with better potato's...only 2 kinds of potato's, Shepody's and chit potato's...fact.

Picking up a 50 lb bag tomorrow in town, fresh from Idaho farm. Thought I had missed them this year.
We bake a few before hunting so we can just brown them when ready to cook some home fries.

Picking up a 50 lb bag tomorrow in town, fresh from Idaho farm. Thought I had missed them this year.
We bake a few before hunting so we can just brown them when ready to cook some home fries.

Should have hollered...picked up a few direct last week, $13 a bag:

IMG_20200924_121101379.jpg

Have to start with better potato's...only 2 kinds of potato's, Shepody's and chit potato's...fact.

Live and Learn...made me look
If you're new to growing potatoes or just want a larger crop, you should chit your potatoes before planting them. Chitting potatoes forces them to sprout a few weeks before you plant them. This speeds up the growing process and gives you a bigger harvest. Use seed potatoes and let them sit in a cool, light place for several weeks. Once they've sprouted, you can plant them in warm soil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back