Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Camera action while being outdoors enjoying the fresh air and adventure. Feel free to add yours too.

I saw this one while driving home last night. He jumped the fence when I broke the camera out.
View attachment 152845

I thought that was going to be the best view of him as he was leaving the seen. I was wrong. He had some leaves to feed on in his mind.
View attachment 152846

Yes, the early turning color leaves.
View attachment 152847

Then he was casting some nice shadows too.
View attachment 152848

View attachment 152849
Reminds me of the photos in the Charles J. Alsheimer books I read as a kid. Very nice work.

Reminds me of the photos in the Charles J. Alsheimer books I read as a kid. Very nice work.

Wow, thank you for the compliment. I had never heard of Charles J Alsheimer until your post. There are many people in this forum that have tremendous outdoor knowledge. For myself the people that raised me in the Upper Peninsula were all very close to nature. My grandmother went through the depression in Superior Wisconsin. Her abilities for hunting small game and gathering wild fruits and berries helped the family survive some tough times. This behavior was passed down to my uncle and father. My uncle progressed his passion to become a professor of biology and wildlife management. My father became a high school teacher of science with an emphasis in geography and wildlife. He taught the wildlife biology and the geography relationship for the animals and life cycles. It was pretty easy for me to grow up with these three people and learn and develop an interest for learning more. At about the age of 12 I started helping my uncle and some of his graduate student with projects. I would help my dad with many of his teaching props. The big one was what he called the brush talk. We would go out and get samples of vegetation and build a geographical West to East simulation of what the US has starting at the west coast, proceeding in elevation up the mountains, adiabatic process, precipitation, descending the mountains, grasslands, precipitation progression and vegetation changes as you move to the East coast. These learning opportunities really made it interesting growing up. I guess this just planted a seed for me to get a degree in conservation with and emphasis in ecology and biology. I have to say that there are many good people (hunters, trappers, and fishermen) that are members in this forum that have the same passions and learn from each other. This thread and others just prove it.

Wow, thank you for the compliment. I had never heard of Charles J Alsheimer until your post. There are many people in this forum that have tremendous outdoor knowledge. For myself the people that raised me in the Upper Peninsula were all very close to nature. My grandmother went through the depression in Superior Wisconsin. Her abilities for hunting small game and gathering wild fruits and berries helped the family survive some tough times. This behavior was passed down to my uncle and father. My uncle progressed his passion to become a professor of biology and wildlife management. My father became a high school teacher of science with an emphasis in geography and wildlife. He taught the wildlife biology and the geography relationship for the animals and life cycles. It was pretty easy for me to grow up with these three people and learn and develop an interest for learning more. At about the age of 12 I started helping my uncle and some of his graduate student with projects. I would help my dad with many of his teaching props. The big one was what he called the brush talk. We would go out and get samples of vegetation and build a geographical West to East simulation of what the US has starting at the west coast, proceeding in elevation up the mountains, adiabatic process, precipitation, descending the mountains, grasslands, precipitation progression and vegetation changes as you move to the East coast. These learning opportunities really made it interesting growing up. I guess this just planted a seed for me to get a degree in conservation with and emphasis in ecology and biology. I have to say that there are many good people (hunters, trappers, and fishermen) that are members in this forum that have the same passions and learn from each other. This thread and others just prove it.
You’re welcome. Sounds like you had an interesting raising in the U.P. Charles Alsheimer was a northern boy himself. Upstate New York. He wrote a lot of articles and did photography for Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine as well as others. He had 150 acres in upstate New York where he studied biology of his own whitetail herd. You would enjoy his books if for nothing else the photography. His books were littered with his own photos which reminded me of yours. Unfortunately he passed a couple years ago but he was a legend in the whitetail world.

You’re welcome. Sounds like you had an interesting raising in the U.P. Charles Alsheimer was a northern boy himself. Upstate New York. He wrote a lot of articles and did photography for Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine as well as others. He had 150 acres in upstate New York where he studied biology of his own whitetail herd. You would enjoy his books if for nothing else the photography. His books were littered with his own photos which reminded me of yours. Unfortunately he passed a couple years ago but he was a legend in the whitetail world.
He sounded very interesting. We had a project that was very similar to his. I went to this location for some training when I was helping in a project for the Beaver Basin Deer Yard Complex Study. We as a group spent the better part of the day with John Ozoga learning how to identify excessive White-Tailed Deer browsing and behavior.

Back