MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

California thule elk tag

chasendeer

I just got in the mail a California thule elk bull tag. I think this will be once in a lifetime. Spot and stock publis land here I come.
Jay

No, Jay that has to be a mistake. You only have 43 posts as of today. You must turn in that tag and wait a few more years. Rules are Rules. John;):D

Since you're lucky enough to hunt them, you at least ought to know how to spell it and say it. It's Tule elk, not "thule." I hope you weren't saying it that way too. :D

Anyway, congrats on the draw and good luck on the hunt.

Congrats Jay. I can't imagine what odds you overcame to pull a tag like that. Once in many lifetimes kind of hunt.

BIte me.

Just kidding. Which hunt did you draw? Grizzly Island, since it is closest to you? Congratulations on a primo tag! They used to have some huge bulls there, but I haven't been back in years.

I applied for Grizzly Island for years, as I used to live in Suisun, just outside the marsh and across from Grizzly Island Road. My brother got drawn for a bull tag there, and got a really nice bull with my help, since I lived less than 15 miles from there. Then a couple years later he got a cow tag on the island. Me - nothing!

Now, since I have max points, I apply for Del Norte Roosevelt bull. (Preference points do not count for the Grizzly Island bull tag, as they only give one or two a year - more for spikes or cows.) If you get drawn for a Grizzly Island bull tag, though, you lose your points even though they did not count for that tag! So I might as well burn my points on a hunt where it may help me get drawn and I can apply for a tutle elk tag until I die..... ;)

I thought notifications didn't go out until around June 22?

Note - I just went to the DFG website and found out that I drew nothing.... again. Just got one morepoint each for elk, antelope and sheep.

Last edited:
A "thule" elk tag is VERY rare my friend....... and even tougher to hunt. A CA tule elk tag is also rare.......but they seem much easier to find. :D Congrats on the tag.......I had max points and put in for the archery hunt.....to no avail! You'll have a good time. Which hunt did you draw?

yes it is once in a liftetime--congrats--I drew a x9a deer tag --no TULE elk(grizzly island) or bighorn sheep---where are you going???.....chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back