Caribou Gear

California SB-252 - Bear Hunting Ban

That's interesting. Someone above said it didn't. I didn't see any thing from the regs that would differentiate it from other game animals so it would make sense that the laws apply.
It's under the reg 4304 for deer, but applies to all game mammals :
"
No person shall at any time capture or destroy any deer and detach or remove from the carcass only the head, hide, antlers, or horns;  nor shall any person at any time leave through carelessness or neglect any game mammal or game bird which is in his possession, or any portion of the flesh thereof usually eaten by humans, to go needlessly to waste....

I do not live in California anymore, however, I do travel back to hunt with family who still lives there. My grandpa has always wanted a bear but never put too much effort in focusing on deer. Last year he said he was going to focus on bear. I hope this does not gets passed or takes a while. These are the reasons I moved.

Eventually they will come up with some excuse to ban all hunting in California. Why? Because if there isn’t any hunting, then what is the reason for people in California to own guns? Their ultimate goal is to ban guns and this is another way of achieving that.
This might be part of the reason but I don't totally agree even though I can't stand the government who controls our state. When I go to my local gun range 99% of the people shooting are using hand guns or ar's. Typically I'm shooting by myself on the 100 yard range and the occasional old guy who is dusting off his old deer rifle. Banning hunting would have no affect on gun and ammo purchases for these people.

Not really. Logical arguments are irrelevant to these people.
I’m not referring to the people who want to ban hunting irrespective of anything else. There are a lot of folks in the middle, who make the difference voting, who are very open to discussion.

I’m not referring to the people who want to ban hunting irrespective of anything else. There are a lot of folks in the middle, who make the difference voting, who are very open to discussion.
If the animal rights groups tell them its "trophy hunting" then thats what it is. They have platforms to get their rhetoric out to the normies. What is ours?

A few years back when hsus was attacking lion hunting in washington, they said in an article something like: lets be clear, nobody eats cougars, its 100% trophy hunting plain and simple. Then they went on to say how its almost all large male lions killed for trophy value. The comments were all your typical crap from the easily manipulated clueless masses. I commented and politely explained how people do in fact eat cougar, and that his statement of large males only being targeted is pretty much true in states that allow hound hunting but not in washington, the focus of the article, as hound hunting had been banned since 96 and selective harvest is no longer a thing, and wdfw harvest statistics show his statement to be untrue. They wouldnt publish my comment because it refuted their claims. This is where people get their information. And all of the urban bleeding heart women who tend to vote anti hunting, they just read the article and all the comments supporting the article, and never hear a dissenting opinion. How are you going to actually get the masses to understand that people eat bears? The loud voiced, ad space, billboard buying anti hunting groups will call it trophy hunting, with pictures of little cubs chasing butterflys, and people will believe it. Theyll never hear your side, they wont research whether peolle eat bears or not, or if there are legal requirements to salvage the meat. Look, 40k bears in california, but people are being told their population is at risk, and thats what theyll believe.

Kind of like the billboards in Stevens County?
You seem to live in the area. Its obviously the puget sound counties that ultimately decide things for us. Thats where hsus etc target the public with their campaigns. Its where it matters, and they have the money to do so. And its where most people know nothing about anything, and theyll only hear the one side. Same will happen in california. Again. Dont really know what the answer is to fix the broken system of ballot box biology, i just know that most non hunting city people wont ever hear about meat salvage requirements, theyll just have the "trophy hunting" rhetoric pumped into their brains and believe it. Facts dont matter. The washington hound hunting ban, california cougar, trapping, bobcat hunting bans.... they all won by playing on peoples emotions. Those things are proof that logical arguments are irrelevant today.

It's under the reg 4304 for deer, but applies to all game mammals :
"
No person shall at any time capture or destroy any deer and detach or remove from the carcass only the head, hide, antlers, or horns;  nor shall any person at any time leave through carelessness or neglect any game mammal or game bird which is in his possession, or any portion of the flesh thereof usually eaten by humans, to go needlessly to waste....
Thanks. Good to see it's in there.

Sportsman's Alliance is the only site I found that at least was highlighting this and trying to get members to reach out to representatives. I had been meaning to join and donate and this was reason enough for me.

BHA made a social media post in opposition within the last couple hours.
BHA did??? I thought they were an access organization that didn’t get involved in management decisions? Or is that only when it involves wolves....

Glad to hear they made a post about it. Hopefully they continue to push the issue.

BHA did??? I thought they were an access organization that didn’t get involved in management decisions? Or is that only when it involves wolves....

Glad to hear they made a post about it. Hopefully they continue to push the issue.
There is quite a difference between management of a species and the legislative abolishment of hunting a species.

There is quite a difference between management of a species and the legislative abolishment of hunting a species.
Meh...not really in this case. When wolves were on the ballot in Colorado BHA wanted nothing to do with it. Now they want to have a say in another predator issue?

Meh...not really in this case. When wolves were on the ballot in Colorado BHA wanted nothing to do with it. Now they want to have a say in another predator issue?
Here is the mission statement
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.
It’s hard to ensure that if it’s abolished, no? The introduction of wolves does not guarantee abolishment of hunting opportunities.

Edit: apologies for the derail, hit me with a PM I you want to discuss further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many younger CA hunters don't even know what Prop 117 was. It ended Mountain Lion sport hunting in CA in 1993.
It was also the last of many reasons that, in spite of never having shot a CA mountain lion, I moved my family to Idaho.

We fought Prop 117 hard. We used science and facts, the Antis used emotion and untruth.
They won.

Good luck with this fight, but it's been coming for almost 30 years.

I'm a realist when it comes to how much we can influence a politician, but do think taking a few minutes to let them know how you feel is worth it.

This link will help you find your representative so you can write/email them directly.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back