California SB-252 - Bear Hunting Ban

Thank him? For not pursuing being an asswipe? He didnt pull it because he saw the light im sure. Him and those like him will keep throwing shit until it sticks.

I just got a response from my senator (Nielsen) today, and thought it was funny because it doesn’t even mention that the bill was withdrawn. Still, the response makes a lot of good points we can all use in the future. I guarantee this is not the last time we’ll see this bill.
———————————————————

Thank you for contacting me to convey your opposition to Senate Bill 252 authored by Senator Scott Weiner that would ban the hunting or taking of bears without a revocable depredation permit. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

First, I would like to share that I have a long record of supporting hunters. Not only have I received awards for my defense of the Second Amendment, but I have also previously authored legislation that would benefit California hunters, even specifically authoring a bill in 2015 that sought to aid bobcat hunters caught up in a fight with the state bureaucracy. It should come as no surprise that I am ardently opposed to SB 252 and the ban it seeks to impose on bear hunting in our state.

Current law designates bears as a game mammal and establishes a maximum kill quota of 1,700 bears per hunting season for licensed hunters who purchase a “bear tag” or permit. In 2012 former Governor Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 1221 authored by Senator Ted Lieu, banning the use of dogs when hunting bears or bobcats. As an Assembly Member at the time, I adamantly opposed this bill in both the Assembly Appropriations Committee and on the Assembly Floor.

This year I, and hunting enthusiasts across the state, must contend with SB 252, which seeks to end bear hunting altogether by banning the sport and limiting the hunting and taking of bears to circumstances relating to depredation, or the protection against the act or threat of damage or destruction of property.

The author of this bill states that the hunting of bears for sport only increases the strain on the bear population after their loss of habitat due to wildfire. However, current bear population data shows that the bear population in California is thriving, doubling in size over the last four decades. Conservative estimates put the bear population in California anywhere between 30,000 and 40,000 bears with some of the largest concentrations in the nation centered around Lake Tahoe. Additionally, the ban on bear hunting with dogs effectively lowered the number of bears hunted each year. In 2020, 30,394 bear tag holders brought home just 919 bears of the 1,700 bear limit. Current regulation is doing more than enough to responsibly protect and maintain a healthy bear population in this state while allowing for the longstanding tradition of bear hunting to continue.

I also want to point out that many bear hunters engage in this activity to put fresh, organic food on their tables. I have been contacted by numerous people that I represent in Senate District 4 who have expressed concern about losing a key food source.

SB 252 will also put undue strain on our state’s budget and flies directly in the face of the California Department of Fish & Wildlife (CDFW) campaign to boost a steadily diminishing number of hunters in the state. Bear tags alone generate $1.39 billion in revenue for CDFW that funds habitat preservation for a variety of wildlife. SB 252 gives no indication as to how this budgetary shortfall is to be met or how its passing will further the state’s explicit goal to increase the number of licensed hunters in California.

SB 252 has yet to be assigned to committee and has therefore not come before me for consideration. Rest assured that should SB 252 make its way to one of my committees or find its way to the Senate Floor I will take into account the opinions of constituents such as yourself as I stand opposed to the continual and burdensome over regulation of Californians, and those enjoying their Second Amendment rights. Rest assured, you have my support in opposition of SB 252.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back