PEAX Equipment

California SB-252 - Bear Hunting Ban

Many younger CA hunters don't even know what Prop 117 was. It ended Mountain Lion sport hunting in CA in 1993.
It was also the last of many reasons that, in spite of never having shot a CA mountain lion, I moved my family to Idaho.

We fought Prop 117 hard. We used science and facts, the Antis used emotion and untruth.
They won.

Good luck with this fight, but it's been coming for almost 30 years.

Many more hunters think the ban started with Prop 117, in was Governor Reagan who went full Hollywood and signed the moratorium in 1971. At least with Prop 117 we got $30M in annual funding for habitat.

Many more hunters think the ban started with Prop 117, in was Governor Reagan who went full Hollywood and signed the moratorium in 1971. At least with Prop 117 we got $30M in annual funding for habitat.
I think it was 1972. The first of the 3 Gubernatorial bans. I was too young to vote against The Gipper.

Many of us working against 117 were convinced the next action would be to ban hunting of "Mountain Lion food sources" (deer).
That thankfully never happened.

I don't want to distract anyone from the current issue by talking about cougars, though. CA hunters have a real fight in front of them with this.

I've lived in CA all my life. I was a young hunter when the the lion ban started the wave of "game management decisions" by the ballot box. Lions, hounds, bobcat, lead, trapping etc. They tried a coyote season, now a shot at bears. They are eating the elephant, one bite at at time. It's a sad state of affairs when decisions are based on the appeal of how majestic or pretty an animal is. As Rinella says "charismatic mega fauna".

Is it mandatory to utilize the meat off a black bear in CA?
Yes it is.

I started my letter to Senator Wiener by explaining that I ate braised bear meatballs for dinner today. I think it might make sense to contact all the other California senators though.

As to the harvest rate, right now that stands at 919 for the 2020 season. That puts the revenue generated from bear hunting somewhere between $3,052,773 and $15,014,332 in tags and licenses alone. That works out to at least $3,321.84 per bear harvested last year paid by 30,394 tag holders. This proposal will not only make those funds vanish, but put a burden on the state in increase conflict resolution costs.

Any California resident hunters out there to reach out?

Yes it is.

I started my letter to Senator Wiener by explaining that I ate braised bear meatballs for dinner today. I think it might make sense to contact all the other California senators though.

As to the harvest rate, right now that stands at 919 for the 2020 season. That puts the revenue generated from bear hunting somewhere between $3,052,773 and $15,014,332 in tags and licenses alone. That works out to at least $3,321.84 per bear harvested last year paid by 30,394 tag holders. This proposal will not only make those funds vanish, but put a burden on the state in increase conflict resolution costs.

Any California resident hunters out there to reach out?

I'm guessing there are very few, if any hunting licenses purchased solely for bear. Bear is very much an additive tag purchase.
Direct tag revenue was $1.4M last year.

That said, it's probably of very little value to contact Weiner, your reps are a far better contact. Next will be Senator Henry Stern when this gets referred to the the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Water.....he is the Chair.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.04.00 AM.png

I've lived in CA all my life. I was a young hunter when the the lion ban started the wave of "game management decisions" by the ballot box. Lions, hounds, bobcat, lead, trapping etc. They tried a coyote season, now a shot at bears. They are eating the elephant, one bite at at time. It's a sad state of affairs when decisions are based on the appeal of how majestic or pretty an animal is. As Rinella says "charismatic mega fauna".

I heard a great statement the other day on the radio, it didn't specifically apply to hunting but is applicable. The gist of it being: the reason we lose hunting piece by piece is because we only choose the hills that we want to die on based on our interests, (i.e. differing opinions about trapping, hounds, baiting, things in other states, etc.) and the anti-hunters and anti-gun folks choose to die for their cause on every hill, and they will eventually win all the fights. Unless the outdoors community as a whole learns to stand together against bills like this we will continue to watch the elephant get eaten...every piece matters.

Or deer or elk or sheep...
California’s politicians are garbage when it comes to hunting. They don’t understand it and don’t want to. I’d bet my paycheck this thing passes unless SCI or someone with a lot of money fights it.

California’s political party always seems to be banning some form of hunting. They are a great example of why many hunters get nervous when a Democrat is president.
That was my thought exactly. This is trending in the wrong direction and made me think of another thread that posed the question, "If your state banned hunting, would you move?"

I heard a great statement the other day on the radio, it didn't specifically apply to hunting but is applicable. The gist of it being: the reason we lose hunting piece by piece is because we only choose the hills that we want to die on based on our interests, (i.e. differing opinions about trapping, hounds, baiting, things in other states, etc.) and the anti-hunters and anti-gun folks choose to die for their cause on every hill, and they will eventually win all the fights. Unless the outdoors community as a whole learns to stand together against bills like this we will continue to watch the elephant get eaten...every piece matters.
Absolutely, this is so true and I witnessed it first hand. The problem is the anti's know this as well. Picking away at the edges and avoiding a big fight with deep pocket hunters. Deer then ducks will be last on the list because of the money involved in all the high dollar ranches and duck clubs in the Sacramento Valley and Grasslands.

I'm guessing there are very few, if any hunting licenses purchased solely for bear. Bear is very much an additive tag purchase.

That said, it's probably of very little value to contact Weiner, your reps are a far better contact. Next will be Senator Henry Stern when this gets referred to the the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Water.....he is the Chair.

View attachment 171844

My wife and I could have ended up moving to Senator Wiener's district last summer, bears are one of my favorite things to hunt.

I sent the senator a comment through his website. I realize it's probably not going to get read and or fall upon def ears, but I plan on bitching about this for the rest of my life so I figured I needed to at least make a marginal effort.

I forwarded my comments to all of my CA friends and family.

I hope for the best for California hunters, but I think California is pretty much effed. First no lion hunting...then no hound hunting bears and bobcats...now no bear hunting. This is a progression and it is not slowing down. It is gaining momentum. You guys are running out of game to hunt and now one more predator you cannot manage. I would honestly not be surprised if in ten years hunting is illegal on California. Either it'll be outlawed outright, or they'll go and add wolves and there won't be enough ungulates to support a hunting season.

View attachment 171844

Where did you find the resident vs non-resident split? I had difficulty dredging that up, so I had to make some assumtions. As to license just to hunt if Weiner can make crap up about declining bear pops (which is an outright lie) I feel pretty justified including the hunting license into my figures (since you'd have to have one to hunt regardless of it being the main reason you bought it or not). I do agree that hitting the other Senators as well is the right way to go.

Guys,
I’ve been in touch with Roy Griffith from the California rifle and pistol Association. See below article. He says there are two things we can do to help stop this. First, we must continue to email our State Senators and the Governor. Send emails weekly. Second, we must testify before the various committees that will oversee this bill.

You can also easily track the bills status and see what / when committees it is set for at:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB252

Just click on status.

Guys,
I’ve been in touch with Roy Griffith from the California rifle and pistol Association. See below article. He says there are two things we can do to help stop this. First, we must continue to email our State Senators and the Governor. Send emails weekly. Second, we must testify before the various committees that will oversee this bill.

You can also easily track the bills status and see what / when committees it is set for at:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB252

Just click on status.

Glad you were able to get in touch with him. It's gone for now, but the bill will be back.

When I moved from NY to CA my thought process was, NY is Liberal, CA can't be that bad. Man was I wrong. In NY most of the time I might disagree with a Liberal policy but at least I could see some reasoning in it. CA creates laws for only 2 reasons from what I can tell, 1. Increase revenue (Tax, tax, tax) and 2. Appease groups that have PC only agendas but also to increase revenue (Tax, tax, tax).

NY is at least smart enough (generally) to understand the importance that hunters play in wildlife conservation.

Moved to NV to get out of CA. Tough though as CA is one of the most beautiful states you can visit. I loved just going up into the Sierras to hunt/hike/fish/etc.

When I moved from NY to CA my thought process was, NY is Liberal, CA can't be that bad. Man was I wrong. In NY most of the time I might disagree with a Liberal policy but at least I could see some reasoning in it. CA creates laws for only 2 reasons from what I can tell, 1. Increase revenue (Tax, tax, tax) and 2. Appease groups that have PC only agendas but also to increase revenue (Tax, tax, tax).

NY is at least smart enough (generally) to understand the importance that hunters play in wildlife conservation.

Moved to NV to get out of CA. Tough though as CA is one of the most beautiful states you can visit. I loved just going up into the Sierras to hunt/hike/fish/etc.
That's interesting to read your comparison of the two states. NY definitely stands up to the teachers union better than CA as well. The COVID has really brought out more of the ugly side of this state in my opinion. I'm sure glad this is shot down for now. Seems like everything else is going hard in the wrong direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back