California Deer

jryoung

With the average (way above average for the last 4 years) rain we got this past winter there have been some great bucks coming out of California from the Central Coast, Northern Coast and the Sierra. I wish I had more time to hunt locally this year but with a couple of big out of state tags it's just not going to happen. Anyway, thought I'd share some of the awesome blacktails, mulies and "black-mules" that we have here. Most of these units are OTC and we get two buck tags.

CA Deer 7.jpg

CA Deer 6.jpg

CA Deer 5.jpg

CA Deer 4.jpg

CA Deer 3.jpg

CA Deer 2.jpg

CA Deer 1.jpg

Wow. Nice bucks. It's not like the bucket list is rapidly getting too long as it is.....:rolleyes:

Very nice. I struck out on my hunt in B-2 last week, will have to give it a go again sometime.

When I was out there in August right around the archery opener, we saw 8 different blacktail bucks. Looked like it was going to be a good year in CA. One of these days I'll have to get a tag.

Very nice CA bucks. I remember when I was at Chico State there where some bucks that hung out on the golf course and upper park that would give CO bucks a run for their money.

Great looking bucks! I need to get to CA some year and try my hand at blacktails and my palette at Mr. Youngs cooking...

Beautiful bucks.

I've never hunted California, but when I think of hunting in California my outsider's impression is chitloads of people and a lack of predator control. How does the state justify 2 buck tags per hunter? Even if the percentage of the population that hunts is 1/10 that in other states that is still a lot of hunters. When you have hunted in California, do you feel it is significantly more pressured than when you come to Montana to hunt?

Sorry about all the questions. Those pictures make me think my perception is different than reality.

Beautiful bucks.

I've never hunted California, but when I think of hunting in California my outsider's impression is chitloads of people and a lack of predator control. How does the state justify 2 buck tags per hunter? Even if the percentage of the population that hunts is 1/10 that in other states that is still a lot of hunters. When you have hunted in California, do you feel it is significantly more pressured than when you come to Montana to hunt?

Sorry about all the questions. Those pictures make me think my perception is different than reality.

California actually has a ton of deer, more so than any other western state, including Colorado. Some areas are pressured, but just like anywhere else, if you leave the roads behind you can find solitude. CA also has a ton of public land, alot more than most western states in the lower 48. They can issue 2 OTC deer tags because success rates are low due to season dates and terrain.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=116656&inline

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2007/western-states-data-public-land.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back