PEAX Equipment

Caliber for pronghorn

Hey guys!
Long story short, I have a 300 win mag that I’m scared to take on my antelope hunt, I think it’s too much gun. Does anyone hunt with a 300 win mag? And what are the most popular calibers out there for pronghorn?

It's not too much gun to shoot an antelope - with proper bullet and proper placement it won't result in undue meat damage/loss (if that's the concern). But for some, it is too much gun to shoot accurately. I have no idea what your level of comfort with it is, but if you are comfortable shooting that gun then you are ready to hunt pronghorn with that gun. If the recoil is a problem for you, get a .243Win or 6.5cm - both will do the job with very low recoil.

I've killed them with 223, 260, 243, 30-06 and 338 Win Mag. With the right bullets (tougher is better) and and good shot placement (ie not through bones) you won't ruin much meat. That said, I think the 243 through 6.5's with long, slick bullets are great for pronghorn. The suggestions of 243 and/or 6.5 Creedmoor are very good choices IMO.

I'm not going to talk you out of buying another rifle...that being said 300WM isn't too much as long as you're proficient with said rifle. Just about anything will do just fine as long as you shoot well

A 6GT, 6 creedmoor, 6 Dasher are all on my list for a dedicated goat gun.

I think part of any 'what if' caliber discussion should be bullet construction and choice. A .300wm with a nicely constructed bullet won't do as much damage as a .243 with a poorly constructed bullet. Each different caliber has it's advantages and disadvantages, but when it comes down to it, I think bullet choice is more important than caliber choice.

I think part of any 'what if' caliber discussion should be bullet construction and choice. A .300wm with a nicely constructed bullet won't do as much damage as a .243 with a poorly constructed bullet. Each different caliber has it's advantages and disadvantages, but when it comes down to it, I think bullet choice is more important than caliber choice.

This pretty much sum's it up.

I use my 300wsm for all my hunting, pronghorn included. Your 300WM will be fine.
You might look for a 180 gr Accubond load or something similar.

Question for you 6 mm guys, 6.5 as well , how do those long bullets shoot in the wind ? More wind drift or not?

I took a 243 on my first antelope hunt back in 2013, but the rifle was more of a "target" rifle. While the accuracy would have been appreciated, that 10+ pound gun became a burden as my idea of a leisurely hunt involved much more walking and glassing than I anticipated. So, that being said, consider what type of hunting this trip will entail and whether you are comfortable carrying your 300WM. In my opinion, if you're comfortable with it, that cartridge would be great. The end goal is a dead antelope and that would definitely get the job done.

Antelope explode if you use anything bigger than a 6.5 with a bullet bigger than 126.3gr going faster than 2745fps at the muzzle.
Yep!:LOL: I was with one of my hunting buddies one year when a buck antelope suddenly appeared and stopped on the top of a hill about 30 yards from us. Steve took a quick shot with his .270 Win, and the 130 grain bullet hit a little far back, entering under the stomach and exiting out the top of the buck's back. The exit wound was so large that about a grapefruit size portion of the stomach was pushing out of the bullet's exit hole.

My favorite antelope rifle/cartridge for the past 40+ years has been my .257 Ackley shooting 115, 117, and 120 grain cup and core bullets. I've also shot antelope with my .22-250, .308 Win, 7 mm Rem mag, and .30-06. I've also had hunting partners shoot their antelope with rifles chambered in .270-08, .300 Win mag, and .348 Winchester. All have worked fine when the bullet was placed properly. A broadside shot just behind the shoulder will kill the animal quickly and not ruin a lot of meat.

I use my 300wsm for all my hunting, pronghorn included. Your 300WM will be fine.
You might look for a 180 gr Accubond load or something similar.

Question for you 6 mm guys, 6.5 as well , how do those long bullets shoot in the wind ? More wind drift or not?

More wind drift than what?

Back