Caliber for pronghorn

6mm Remington 90 gr. E-tip or Accubond or 100 gr. Partition

Your 300 Winchester would work just fine as others have stated though.

Reactions: Guy
More wind drift than what?
Lots of folks will be surprised how well some of the smaller rounds compare to "mags" with certain bullets. I know my 260 Rem shooting 139gr bullet with 42gr powder drifts less than my 338 Win Mag shooting 210gr Partitions over 65gr of powder. Kicks a whole lot less, weighs a whole lot less, and kills just fine on pronghorn.

I've personally used or wittnessed antelope shot with a .270, 7RM, 6mm and 30-06. All did a great job and none of the antelope went more than a few steps.

I know a fellow who selected 180 gr bullets for antelope, using his 300 mag... For less velocity, and less meat damage. It worked just fine.

I've used both my 25-06 and my 30-06 rifles. There's less meat damage with the slower 30-06/165 gr load than with the 25-06, from what I've seen.

Guy

300 wm with 180s or 150s with a double lung placement, will do exactly as you asked!

Than a shorter profile bullet of the same weight and caliber. Just thinking of those long profile bullets favored for long range shooting.
My understanding is as follows: BC and velocity (as a proxy for time to target) are the drivers. Length and weight are inherently connected to BC and velocity, but are not predictive. At the same velocity the higher BC bullet will have less wind drift every time regardless of relative length/weight. If the higher BC bullet also has faster velocity then also a clear winner regardless of length/weight. If higher BC but lower initial velocity, then you have to run the ballistics for a particular target distance to see which wins at that distance, but will vary with distance.

I wouldn't be worried about using your .300. You can't kill them too dead and they aren't going to explode despite what some internet rumors say. I would suggest a monolithic bullet to minimize meat damage but it's not necessary. Some say those bullets zip through and don't expand on antelope but my experience says otherwise. If you're looking for another rifle, however, a .270 Win would be a great compliment to your .300 WM. Don't stress about it and just go hunting!

That's a lot of fun for a goat. The only antelope I ever shot with anything other than an arrow was a 7mm-08. However, I have shot a pile of whitetail deer and even 2 turkeys with a 300WM. It does kill stuff.

I had reservations last year about using my 7mm, but read enough on here to figure out that proper placement would minimize meat loss. I had strongly considered another rifle, but for(hopefully) one shot, it was not worth the cost to me. In addition, I was already comfortable with 7mm and didn't want to make a change. I'd put the cost of a new/different rifle in to glass(binocs or spotting scope) if I were you.

300 Win is one of my favorite cartridges, and yes I have taken antelope with it. Sure, I've taken pronghorn with smaller cartridges, but I shoot my 300 Win a lot, and it often goes where I go...….

Got one last season with a .270 Wby and 130 grain ballistic tips.
Looked like someone called in an air strike on it.

Within reason, my view is that bullet choice has more to do with "large hole" than cartridge choice.
Exactly what I was going to say. I wouldn't shoot a goat with a standard bullet that has a high likelyhood of coming apart with my 300. I would shoot a goat with my 300 using my barnes ttsx load if that was all I had. That said, my 243 will always get the nod for goat hunting.

I really feel you need a 300 RUM but might get by with 300 Weatherby as a minimum. I prefer a solid 338 WM or 340 weatherly. Antelope are pretty tough and take a fair bit to bring them down. The legendary toughness of an elk does not hold a candle to a antelope...JK.

I think this social distancing might be getting to me. I had a friend take his kids with .243 and they were more the enough. I always use my 257 Weatherby and it’s a bit destructive on the lopes. They are really pretty small and almost any modern round that is flat shooting would work.

Back