Yeti GOBOX Collection

Caliber for pronghorn

Been using a .50 cal lately. Antelope skin is tough, barely getting enough penetration to get a blood trail to follow through the thick stuff

Is there a non-lead requirement in Wyoming or on BLM lands (specifically in WY)?

ETA: I am planning on reloading some 150gr bullets for my 30-06

Is there a non-lead requirement in Wyoming or on BLM lands (specifically in WY)?

ETA: I am planning on reloading some 150gr bullets for my 30-06
It’s not California yet. I see you made it here from the TD forum.

Wife shot her buck with a 7-08 and 120BT. I've shot a couple with the 7SAUM and 140TTSX and its performed really well.

Likely if I was itching to put together a pronghorn specific rig I'd look at the 25-06, a 6mm or 6.5 projectile or something in that range. Something that can buck a bit of wind. Other than that, most any hunting rifle will work but if a guy wants a reason to build or buy something new.....that's a good enough excuse!!

Heck, I shot a doe with a 12 gauge slug last time i was out there, there easier to drag back if there in 2 pieces...

257 weatherby would also be choice i would consider. From the 110 gr eldx and the 110 accubonds. Both rounds drop 7.9” at 400 yards. Albeit rifle and ammo selection will probably be a bit pricier. But like randy said in an episode of fresh tracks ammo is one of the cheapest parts of your hunt

I’ve shot white tail with 150 grain Hornady interlocks with a 300 win mag before and didn’t have any problems with meat damage. That was with great shot placement. However, I’ve stepped up and shoot a 270 Winchester with 130 Hornady interlocks and the energy and velocity numbers out to 500 yards would absolutely ethically take an elk so a pronghorn would probably be fine. Wild animals are tougher than you think. I had a whitetail run off from a 30-30 170 grain Winchester lead core with great broadside placement and that was at only 90 yards. People always wonder about being over gunned. I love this topic because I’m a huge 300 win mag fan. Great velocities, energy delivery, and much flatter shooting; plus a HUGE range of bullet weights for choosing any game. You could load for coyote all the way upto inland brown bear (definitely moose). If you think animals aren’t tough watch this video and I’ll let the shot from Brian Call’s 300 win mag tell the story. Great hunt. Clips gets good around 20:15

Don’t shoot sst Hornady s. The will explode an animal. I like them for ferrule hogs but not much else. Interlocks, corlocks, and partitions. animals are tough. Good luck! Enjoy 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the mid-90s I got my first 300WM. I loaded the 180 NBT. That year I shot an antelope doe at 347 yds, sitting off shooting sticks. It tore her up pretty good. A few weeks later, I shot a 3x3 mule deer around 75 yds....it tore him up bad too. That was when Ballistic Tips were pretty soft. I then went to the Barnes 180 XBT. Perfection. Since the TTSX is here now, load the 130 or 150 and shoot tight behind the shoulder. I've shot antelope with that 300WM, 6.5x284, 280AI, 6mmx284, .257 WBY, 240WBY. Anything that beats the wind is worth it! If you want a new rifle, and don't want to spend a whole lot of money, try the Vanguard in .257 WBY. It is a humdinger! I tried a 240 WBY in the Vanguard S2 and it shot "OK", but not as good as I wanted and had time to play with. Its a sweetheart though. If you want less "blast and gas", the 6.5 Creedmoor would do swell too. Once I find a rifle I "really like" to hunt with, I also like to take alot of game with it...get it "bloody", accumulate the experience's and stories. But I'm weird that way! ha :)

I've taken Antelope with my; 243, 270 and 300 WM, all did the job just fine, while the 300 WM is not necessarily my first choice for chasing goats i think it will do just fine if you stick to aiming at the ribs and taking lung shots, it should be a carpet puller for you!

Shot this one back in the early 80s with a 300 win mag. The second one I shot 3 years later with a 25-06 . The 25-06 in my option was more suitable and both were equally dead.image.jpeg

I'm taking my .300 Win Mag to WY this fall for Antelope. Shooting 180gr Nosler Accubonds. Gun shoots 1/2 inch MOA. WAS HOPING TO BRING MY .264 Win Mag, but so far its not shooting nearly as well.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back