Caffeine and accuracy

I am not sure what to do with coffee but I sure like a cup or two in the a.m.. I have one leaded cup at home & take an unleaded with me to work. Some guys at the shop I work at sip on it all day(leaded) even when its warm out.

Still trying to figure out what makes me more jittery, to much or lack of..

I hunted with a friend in South Dakota & he was a non drinker of coffee so he loaded up on soft drinks in the a.m. while I tried to find a coffee alternative. (tea, cold coffee, etc.)

Seems like I have the jitters all the time but I shoot with the bow best if I am relaxed & haven't had to much b.s. going on that day. Might have to do with turning wrenches all day to?

100% the same with me. Me and a buddy experimented this a few years ago. Our wives think we're nuts but its a real thing. That being said caffeine takes a back seat during archery camp, but only cause were to lazy in the mornings to prepare coffee. Haha

Well, I can't stand the taste of coffee, even though I grew up in a family that couldn't function with out it. Diet soda and Copenhagen do give me the shakes and are probably the cause of me not being a real crack shot with either bow or rifle. Hell, my wife out shoots me every damn time that we shoot together. As far as shooting groups, everyone has good days and not so good days. I will have to agree that it has more to do with the moment rather than what was consumed prior in the day.

I seem to remember someone telling me that caffeine and nicotine effect a person's accuracy. I have a hard time starting my day without a cup of coffee, but for health reasons I limit myself to the occasional cup of coffee. I've noticed I'm feeling better on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I used to drink coffee all day long and found out what cafreine withdraw is on a guided elk hunt I only had 1 cup in Morn before heading out on the horses Man I was miserable
that was prob about 25 yrs ago since then 1 cup in moring and thats it and it doesnt have any effect on my shooting my bow at all I shoot in the morning before getting ready for work all the time
never tried to shoot a gun with or with out coffee most time im sighting in later in the day so the coffee is out of my system by then

Equipment loaded for the usual early Sunday Morning shooting range session....first cup

Growing up my dream was for a red bull sponsorship.
I use to dream about a monster energy sponsorship in my motocross days. Now I’ve moved on to a black rifle coffee sponsored deal in my dreams.
My accuracy seems unphased. Not having my morning coffee leads to the withdrawal anger shakes, and normal everyday coffee eventually leads to the butt clenches so not much difference. Ha

Same for me, I couldn't even finish the first. That stuff is nasty.

We had a guy in the office at one time that drank that chit like there's no tomorrow. Looked and seemed abut half-dead, but that never seemed to dawn on him.

I am curious if any of you have ever done these type of comparisons, and if so, has it resulted in any difference for your accuracy. Have you experienced accuracy changes with other situations you might have tested for; dehydration, lack of rest, other?
Short answer is yes, I did a small study similar to yours last year. I have found excess caffeine does affect my accuracy on practice range. Like you I never did a double-blind study so it may be in my head. Like many others, I enjoy my coffee. Too much of it and without our can get headaches. I have found that when hunting, I don’t need as much. Just a little has the same impact on the blood flow in the brain (the cause of the headaches) but doesn’t cause the ‘jitters’ in the hands. I have other issues like near sightedness that cause me to have trouble lining up the pin with the target, but I have reduced that considerably. Basically I feel comfortable with my accuracy. The caffeine is the least of my concerns when a bull or buck is approaching. The adrenaline kicks in and I can hear my heart pounding. That causes the jitters more than any caffeine dose would.

I shot my bow on this gorgeous morning while drinking coffee. The coffee was good and so was the shooting, if I do say so myself!

The most important thing in this discussion is that it boils down to the individual. Coffee doesn't make me jittery so I don't feel it impacts my accuracy. No coffee = not good for me. But, another person may be a complete bundle of nerves on it and should adjust accordingly.

Caffeine for sure effects most peoples accuracy. Best groups I’ve ever shot have been without drinking caffeine In the morning. Buddy of mine was friends with the owner of monster energy drinks and got cases of the stuff for free. One time we were out duck hunting and I drank two big cans and actually couldn’t hit ducks. Normally I could limit with well under a box of shells and it actually took me two and a half boxes to get my limit. Lol.

I am not a regular caffeine drinker. If I have one serving (e.g. 1/2c cold brew coffee) before archery practice I am more accurate. The target seems to jump out at me and my focus is more like a laser. Without caffeine my mind wanders more and I am distracted more by my senses. I also perform better in other sports such as running with a serving of caffeine.

Since I don’t drink regularly I don’t have withdrawals. If I took 2 or more servings I get jittery and shaky. Lots of factors and I believe everyone is different.

I don’t intentionally use caffeine to be more accurate. What happens is I toss and turn all night before the opener and then drink some to fend off the 3-4 hours of sleep I just got.

Copenhagen used to do that to me. Could tell during my morning shoots if I had had a dip or not. Quit about 4 years ago so don’t have to worry about it now
I went shooting Friday, three days off of Copenhagen. No idea how it effected my shooting, because after I got all set up, I realized I forgot my hearing protection... Nicotine withdrawal A.D.D.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back