Caffeine and accuracy

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last summer I spent a lot of time measuring my rifle groups on days with my normal morning dose of caffeine and comparing to my groups without caffeine. As expected, the groups were noticeably less consistent after a morning of coffee as compared to the mornings with no coffee. Due to that, I cut out the high octane coffee on most of our hunts last year.

This summer I've been doing the same comparatives with archery. Seems even more amplified in archery than rifle. I suspect that is due to not being able to use a rest to stabilize my bow to the degree I can use a rest to stabilize a rifle. On the days with no caffeine, my 40 yard archery groups give me great confidence. On days with a jolt of caffeine, things go to hell quickly. My 40 yard groups of three arrows go from 100% in 2" groups to more like one of three arrows in the 2", with the other two averaging more like 5" groups.

I am wondering if it might be in my head, as I know what days I'm not on coffee and which days I am. As consistent as it has turned out over the last month, I have a hard time convincing myself it is just in my head. After two cups of Joe this morning and the group I just scattered across my targets, I thought I'd seek comments here.

With what I see with both archery and rifle, I think the coffee will be for the camera crew. Maybe I'll bring my decaf for the sake of my morning habit. I might be a bit of an anomaly, as with my liver situation I don't get a lot of blood to my liver, so it probably stays in my system longer than most people.

I am curious if any of you have ever done these type of comparisons, and if so, has it resulted in any difference for your accuracy. Have you experienced accuracy changes with other situations you might have tested for; dehydration, lack of rest, other?

That is something that has never crossed my mind or even thought could be an issue. Guess I usually do my practice after work in the afternoon. Guess I’ll have to drink some caffeine before hand and test this out

Interesting thoughts.....

Article outlines a bit of the history of caffeine and athletics. Seems like it was on the banned list until 2004. One of the negatives of caffeine listed is loss of fine motor control.

I don't drink coffee, but I do feel a bit lost without a Diet Coke every now and then.

Last summer I spent a lot of time measuring my rifle groups on days with my normal morning dose of caffeine and comparing to my groups without caffeine. As expected, the groups were noticeably less consistent after a morning of coffee as compared to the mornings with no coffee. Due to that, I cut out the high octane coffee on most of our hunts last year.

This summer I've been doing the same comparatives with archery. Seems even more amplified in archery than rifle. I suspect that is due to not being able to use a rest to stabilize my bow to the degree I can use a rest to stabilize a rifle. On the days with no caffeine, my 40 yard archery groups give me great confidence. On days with a jolt of caffeine, things go to hell quickly. My 40 yard groups of three arrows go from 100% in 2" groups to more like one of three arrows in the 2", with the other two averaging more like 5" groups.

I am wondering if it might be in my head, as I know what days I'm not on coffee and which days I am. As consistent as it has turned out over the last month, I have a hard time convincing myself it is just in my head. After two cups of Joe this morning and the group I just scattered across my targets, I thought I'd seek comments here.

With what I see with both archery and rifle, I think the coffee will be for the camera crew. Maybe I'll bring my decaf for the sake of my morning habit. I might be a bit of an anomaly, as with my liver situation I don't get a lot of blood to my liver, so it probably stays in my system longer than most people.

I am curious if any of you have ever done these type of comparisons, and if so, has it resulted in any difference for your accuracy. Have you experienced accuracy changes with other situations you might have tested for; dehydration, lack of rest, other?
How about having Mrs. Fin give you your coffee in the morning? One with caffine and one without. Flooded with creamer so you can't tell the difference? Then after you shoot, she tells you which one she gave you that morning.

I’ve done some experiments with my heart rate. I start losing accuracy around 130bpm, and really struggle above 150bpm. First shot tends to be off more than the other, which is exactly what you don’t want. Because of that, I’ve decided to not allow myself to shoot at game when my heart is pounding like that. I’ve not been in that situation in the field yet, but I’m glad to have made the decision before I’m in the heat of the moment.

If I don’t have coffee in the morning, I’m sure I’d be in such an ill mood that I’d be deadly accurate on the first thing that looked at me the wrong way!

I’m guessing that creamer would be considered “pucky”, and will not be found in @Big Fin’s coffee...
The only good coffee is straight black coffee but I can easily tell decaf from non decaf using the same brand and type of coffee. Trying to eliminate a variable is all.

Having shot both archery and shotgun competitively I found I shot much better de caffeinated.

There definitely is a correlation in my case, now after a diagnosis of
A serious heart rhythm issue I am not allowed caffeine in any form. I find my rifle shooting has improved significantly.

I'm sensitive to caffeine and at the rifle range make sure I don't have caffeine before hand. I also don't do caffeine in the field, with a rare exception of sweet tea which is low caffeine. Having withdrawals if you cut down right before season can be just as bad, so do it sooner if you're gonna cut back.

I’m not a coffee drinker. But I do Drink v8 energy drinks and I shoot better with the caffeine. There are other drinks like rockstar that will make me shoot worse due to way too much caffeine. Seems like different people can handle different drinks.

I’m a caffeine addict and if I don’t get a cup of coffee in the morning I get headaches. One cup doesn’t show any measurable difference in group size with rifle, handgun, or bow. 3 cups show a big difference in group size and hurt my rifle shooting the most.

This question is going to vary largely by person I'm guessing. Shooting is such a mental game that "feeling" good is super important. If you're a coffee guy like me who feels completely out of sorts until he drinks a half a pot, that's a big factor.

Individual physiology is key as well. I'm sure if you have issues metabolizing caffeine and over do it, you're going to pay a much larger price than someone who doesn't face the same challenges.

Personally, I don't see much change with the physical aspects (barring extreme fatigue, dehydration), but the mental component is pretty big. Fortunately, that's something you can learn to reset once you recognize it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back