CA Big Game Draw

I as well like most on here only drew a d9 tag local to me, probably won’t make much time to hunt it this year. Haven’t heard of many people drawing much if anything

I as well like most on here only drew a d9 tag local to me, probably won’t make much time to hunt it this year. Haven’t heard of many people drawing much if anything
D9 is usually our fall back tag too since it's in our back yard. I've seen a few nice bucks taken form there, just never been able to take on myself. 2 seasons ago, my son, 14 at the time, missed a shot on a nice thick 3x3.

Last edited:
D9 is usaaly our fall back tag too since it's in our back yard. I've seen a few nice bucks taken form there, just never been able to take on myself. 2 seasons ago, my son, 14 at the time, missed a shot on a nice thick 3x3.
Nice it’s my backyard as well! May live close by to each other. I have hunted it my whole life nearly.

First time in 50 years, since I was 12 I didn’t bother to put in for CA. I burned what points I had last year in 6B and the hunting was absolutely pathetic. I’m not sure if the fires had something to do with it or? but I hunted the burn, and out of the burn. I should get a Wyoming deer tag so I will be hunting. I sure hope it gets better in CA. and good luck to all who got tags.

First time in 50 years, since I was 12 I didn’t bother to put in for CA. I burned what points I had last year in 6B and the hunting was absolutely pathetic. I’m not sure if the fires had something to do with it or? but I hunted the burn, and out of the burn. I should get a Wyoming deer tag so I will be hunting. I sure hope it gets better in CA. and good luck to all who got tags.
Gave up on your sheep points ?

You are not the only one doing that I personally know and here others saying as they cash in their points they are done with California many I know are in various stages of cashing out. Got drawn for elk..... Done putting in. Got drawn for Antelope..... Done putting it. Anyway you get the idea. Most all I personally know just go buy land owner tags out of state when they want to go. Others just go fully guided out of state. They are all in their 50's and 60's I'm 44 and most all the hunters I know and run into are older than me. Every now and then I see a youngin. I went 1 for 2 on my kids hunting. And most of my kids friends didn't understand why she hunts.

You are not the only one doing that I personally know and here others saying as they cash in their points they are done with California many I know are in various stages of cashing out. Got drawn for elk..... Done putting in. Got drawn for Antelope..... Done putting it. Anyway you get the idea. Most all I personally know just go buy land owner tags out of state when they want to go. Others just go fully guided out of state. They are all in their 50's and 60's I'm 44 and most all the hunters I know and run into are older than me. Every now and then I see a youngin. I went 1 for 2 on my kids hunting. And most of my kids friends didn't understand why she hunts.
I've got a long ways to go to be pulling high point draws. I should've prefaced my post with I'm fairly new to hunting. Didn't start til I was 30 (I'm 33 now). Have yet to harvest anything in California and my lone harvest was a big body, crappy rack whitetail that I took off private land in Ohio. So I'm anxious to get my first CA harvest in my home state.

I've got a long ways to go to be pulling high point draws. I should've prefaced my post with I'm fairly new to hunting. Didn't start til I was 30 (I'm 33 now). Have yet to harvest anything in California and my lone harvest was a big body, crappy rack whitetail that I took off private land in Ohio. So I'm anxious to get my first CA harvest in my home state.
There is no reason to stop trying if it's your passion. I'm glad you got into hunting, better late than never! I know a few people who have started hunting later in life and I find that really fascinating. I will probably stop applying after elk and antelope are drawn. I put in for sheep every year and I don't ever think I'll draw but I'll keep going with that. Deer however I'll always put in for I burned my points a couple times but I keep putting in, now I try to put in for hunts I can draw with the points I have I will not build CA deer points. I do have points in almost every Western state so when I start cashing in on those I will be hunting for everything all over the place. I'm one of those people on the sidelines @Big Fin talks about.

There is no reason to stop trying if it's your passion. I'm glad you got into hunting, better late than never! I know a few people who have started hunting later in life and I find that really fascinating. I will probably stop applying after elk and antelope are drawn. I put in for sheep every year and I don't ever think I'll draw but I'll keep going with that. Deer however I'll always put in for I burned my points a couple times but I keep putting in, now I try to put in for hunts I can draw with the points I have I will not build CA deer points. I do have points in almost every Western state so when I start cashing in on those I will be hunting for everything all over the place. I'm one of those people on the sidelines @Big Fin talks about.
I grew up fishing from the time I could hold a pole, but for some reason the hunting bug never clicked. Maybe it's because no one in my family were hunters so it never really presented the opportunity. And then when my son and I had a chance to go to Ohio to hunt whitetail we jumped, and haven't looked back. It's incredibly exciting, enjoyable and honestly an indescribable feeling that we know, but can't quite explain it to folks who don't hunt in a way they could understand.

Nothing for me. Can’t believe D14 (Big Bear) is a premium hunt. Was always a solid fall back plan. Picked up the AO tag per usual and trying the LA County Either Sex tag as well this year. Thank god for CO Elk
Wow. D14 is premium now? That’s wild.

Went that way last year I think. Nuts. The theory that it’s antis buying up tags is interesting. Wonder what the HIP data is for “Did you hunt this year”?
Interesting indeed. Unfortunately, they don't share that portion of the hunt stats w/us.

Gave up on your sheep points ?
Never put in for sheep or elk. Have no idea where to start as far as sheep hunting in CA. Resident elk tags cost way to much if drawn. I had max antelope points up to about 15 years, then somehow blew it and forgot one year? Figured if I was one point behind the max, it might as well be zero points at my age. I did put in for the lottery draw every year though. Or whatever they call it.
Correction on my OP. CA. Hasn’t had a draw for 50 years, so I should have said I’ve purchased a deer tag in CA. For the past 50 years.

I had max antelope points up to about 15 years, then somehow blew it and forgot one year? Figured if I was one point behind the max, it might as well be zero points at my age

In 2005 I got distracted and missed the draw. I was so upset with myself putting me 1 point behind the max. However, the following year I drew a Tule tag.

IMG_0471.JPG

Good for you. Nice bull. There’s always the random draw chance. I haven’t been successful at all for those in all the years I’ve put in. Before the point system when it was all random draw, I couldn’t draw draw an x zone tag for the life of me. Knew others who drew all the time. It seemed something was fishy at the time.

got Emailed my results today at 3:00 am . NO Joy except for my Deer A tag and B tag.

Went that way last year I think. Nuts. The theory that it’s antis buying up tags is interesting. Wonder what the HIP data is for “Did you hunt this year”?
Interesting.
I remember when D16 (my then-home unit) went premium many people said the same thing. I just think there are more hunters. Certainly saw more the last several years I lived there.

We hunted Morongo Valley side of D14 several years. That desert buck hunting is a blast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back