Caribou Gear

Buying a Ford

mdeerjunkie

Hey all, I’ve looked through past threads and can’t find anything so maybe I’m a bad looker but.....
I am looking at buying a used 2008 Ford F-150 with a triton 5.4 liter v8 engine. It has a decent amount of miles. For those of you who own a Ford what are your thought with the reliability and how many max miles do you think it can get? Any other opinions appreciated
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 FX4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I bought it 2 years ago with about 45k miles on it and it has about 78k now. Before this truck I’d only owned Chevys. I’ve had zero issues with it so far. There are things I liked better about the Chevys and are things I like better about the Ford. If I had to pick one tomorrow I’d go with Ford again. Only vehicle I’ve ever owned that hasn’t burned oil. I upgraded the brakes/rotors, leveled it, and it makes a very adequate hunting rig and everyday driver.

What year? I think there was a thread not too long ago on fords 2010 thru 2013 or something like that. I bought a '12 and was the worst truck I've ever owned. Take that for what it's worth, step dad has an '11 with zero problems before that ge had a '99 and kept it til like 250k with no problems.

Yep, what year and engine. I've owned many fords as a DVM work truck. All very reliable except for one (engine). Ran most up to 120,000. Two f-150's. 1990 straight 6 went for 295,000. My current on is a 2006 crew cab. 157,000 miles and just put her up for sale two days ago. Just starting to use some oil. Only other thing is stuff like brakes and starter.

What year? I think there was a thread not too long ago on fords 2010 thru 2013 or something like that. I bought a '12 and was the worst truck I've ever owned. Take that for what it's worth, step dad has an '11 with zero problems before that ge had a '99 and kept it til like 250k with no problems.
It’s a 2008 with triton 5.4 liter v8 engine

For those of you who own a Ford what are your thought with the reliability and how many max miles do you think it can get?
Don't matter what make you buy. Some will be problem free, some not so much. Unless it's a Toyota. They never break apparently. But I did put 270,000 miles on another make. And have 180,000 and counting on another. :) mtmuley

I have owned nothing but Ford 150’s since 2010 (3 of them with my 2019 having about 30,000 miles). I don’t perceive myself as a truck snob however I spend many hours behind the window so I buy the Platinum model shamelessly.

The 2010 was the best looking most frustrating of the bunch. Issues with the A/C unit were too much to list. Suffice it to say I missed the look of the truck but very little else.

The 2014 model was the bomb. I literally did nothing but change the oil, tires at 60,000 miles and brakes at 100,000. I sold that truck to my son who now has the mileage up to 180,000 miles without any issues. I still miss that truck...

The 2019 is a different type truck. This is my first with the six cylinder (ten speed transmission). I pull a 24‘ Everglades boat which isn’t light. This truck hauls better than my 2014 V8 (Six speed transmission). With that as a given, I miss the ride of the 2014. The best description of the 2019 ride would be “tight ”. If you move the steering wheel a quarter of an inch, you are changing lanes like you are driving a Porsche. It’s just not my kind of ride is the best description. I am at the point where I have never gotten rid of a truck before 100k miles but I am swapping this one for something more my style.

I drive a 2016 f150 for work I’ve put all 305k miles on it only had one breakdown some kind of sensor issues besides that it runs fine and I drive it cross country 2-3 times a month.

my personal truck is 17 with 45k miles not a single issue out of that truck

I’m very happy with mine

I have a 2010 4X4 with the 5.4 and I finally got a car to take over as a daily driver. My truck has 264,000 on it and still runs strong. I had the rear end rebuilt once and actually should again due to the pinion seal leaking and having some gear noise but it's not going to grenade anytime soon. Power to pass is great with the 3.73 gears. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that truck. Every brand has lemons but I've had 7 F150s in the household over the years and all have been great!

Forgot about the spark plug thing. I've had 4 I think with the 5.4 and no issues.

I had a 2000 F150 with the triton engine and it was a dog. Didn't make much power for towing and even empty it got worse gas milage than the Chevy big block I'm driving now. It lived at the shop for problems with the engine, computers, transmission and rear end. At 200k I took it to the junk yard because I could get more for scrap than at auction. Most Fords are better than that one, but it was really a piece of crap.

I’m still driving my 2005 FX4 w/5.4 at 240K miles; I got close to 200K on the trans and have ran royal purple in the motor since essentially the beginning. I’ve changed the plugs myself twice with no issues but ran BG44K and sprayed sea foam deep creep on them before removing; the two piece plugs were an issue but I’m guessing that problem was resolved by 2008; I’d ensure they’re fresh though if you don’t know for sure when they were replaced and insist on motorcraft plugs. I’d replace the coil packs with OE packs if they’re the originals, Change the small pulleys part of the serpentine system since those bearings wear out but that’s about it from my experience. I’ve been very happy with my 5.4 despite the things you hear on the phasers as my motor ticks but like I said I’ve gotten 240K and counting on it. Once it finally goes I’ll put a reman motor in it and shoot for 500K on the truck. Good luck

I drive a '04 Ranger 4.0, and have had it for 4 years. Best vehicle I've ever owned. The engine was only designed to last about 150k. At 175 I took it apart to swap out the plastic parts with a kit, but it was bad enough shape I had to replace it with a reman engine. Other than that, very reliable and zero expensive repairs. I do most the maintenance myself, and it's very easy to work on and have saved a lot of $. I'm not sold on any particular brand, but I've had very good experience with current ride.

I have a Ford F150 using a Triton engine. Bad engine design. I blew a spark plug which I ended up having to ream out and and put an adapter in to install a new plug. I do not recommend the Triton engine at all. Bad design. Plug blow outs are typical of this engine with a lot of heavy use or when it passes the 100K mile mark. The front two plug holes on both sides of the engine only has four threads holding the plug in and 6 on the back ones. Others I know with this engine have reamed out all 8 plug holes and put adapters in.

I have an '01 F-150 Lariat Offroad 4x4 with 133k on it now and have had few problems. The plug issue depends on year. I had mine replaced @ 90k,OEM plugs,torqued to 28.
Had the rear end rebuilt when it got the wrong fluid additive and the limited slip went. Also had brakes gone thru.

I have a Ford F150 using a Triton engine. Bad engine design. I blew a spark plug which I ended up having to ream out and and put an adapter in to install a new plug. I do not recommend the Triton engine at all. Bad design. Plug blow outs are typical of this engine with a lot of heavy use or when it passes the 100K mile mark. The front two plug holes on both sides of the engine only has four threads holding the plug in and 6 on the back ones. Others I know with this engine have reamed out all 8 plug holes and put adapters in.
I have never seen a plug ejection on any ford after 2004 when they switched to the 3v 5.4.

My 2006 has been a great truck. It has a passenger side exhaust manifold leak that is pretty common.
Plug change went good without breaking any plugs (a common problem).
No cam phaser issues (know to happen)
Its a solid truck that I have really beat on.
I can write a whole page of common problems across all manufacturers.. cough (toyota cam shaft)...cough...
but if you get a good one and care for it they are usually good for about 275k

Hey all, I’ve looked through past threads and can’t find anything so maybe I’m a bad looker but.....
I am looking at buying a used 2008 Ford F-150 with a triton 5.4 liter v8 engine. It has a decent amount of miles. For those of you who own a Ford what are your thought with the reliability and how many max miles do you think it can get? Any other opinions appreciated
Thanks.
I'm in your shoes right now; been researching ever since i started the other thread; I have a 2000 f150 with the 5.4 now; spark plugs and exhaust manifold issues seems to be common for the 99-03's; then the next generation i've found is the cam phasers and spark plug issues still; then its the 2011 to 2014 that gives you the ecoboost or 5.0's ecoboosts is a gamble with the timing chain and phaser issues but if they dont have that issue, it seems to be a great motor. thats why I'm leaning towards a 2012+ with the 5.0; but as someone else posted before, threads like this are dang near worthless as every make and model all have issues and its probably a very small %

right now i'm going with a 5.0, 100k miles+ with the elec. locking diff option in that $15k range

Back