F150 longevity

Last edited:
I changed oil every 3k until I hit 15,000, now I change every 5. 42,000 in less than two years, the last 6K driven like a Vegas cabby. Late 2020+ don't have the cam phaser issues, 2018 models sucked.

Get one of these to fit your engine, makes oil changes a breeze.

What's the point of that drain adapter? Looks like the perfect solution to a non-existing problem. Never struggled with a drain plug.

1996 F150> sold to friend when it had about 235,000 miles. Great truck. He drove it for a few years and sold it to another friend and it was on the road until 2016.
Replaced the 96 with a 2003 F150> It sits behind my shed with 265,000 miles and its a winter/hunting in deep snow driver.
Replaced the 2003 F150 with a 2010 F150> she suffered a blown motor coming home on a trip from Cape cod when we got water in the gas due to severe flooding while we where on vacation I added dry gas and she she sputtered all week and on the way home then blew up. Truck had 225,000 miles.
Replaced the 2010 F150 with a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost has 117,000 miles on it and it has had the start up rattle the last 50,000 miles. Runs like a rocket ship with 34in 10ply BFG Pulled a 7500 lb trailer to Wyoming like it wasn't even there.
I have had nothing to complain about so far but the start up rattle has been a concern and on my mind don't know why I should switch. Pulled lots of trailers with these trucks across the country a few times > Loads of fertilizer and lime around home and even 4 wheelers in the bed across the country many times. No major break down bills.

The 2013 F150 was sold in September. I drove it from Maricopa, AZ to Butte, MT and it ran great the whole way, which made me feel better about selling it, that I wasn’t just passing off a problem to someone else.

The new truck now has Cooper ST Maxx tires and a 1.5” leveling kit.
A little over 6k miles and I am really liking it. 422D1604-19C1-458C-94D8-3582410BD8B9.jpeg

2004 F150 with the 5.4L. Bought it in 2018 with 120k on it. Still driving it although it doesn’t get driven all that much. This town I live in has drainage ditches at all residential intersection that about rattle your fillings if you aren’t paying attention and hit them at normal speeds. Just put a set of new tires and shocks all the way around. Leveled with the Rancho Quicklift up front. What an improvement in ride quality! Tires are the 10ply Falken Wildpeak AT3’s. I figured this truck is paid for so might as well keep it for awhile and put some parts in it.

Not a great set of pictures but it does show the leveling.

Attachments

• AC5FD9A1-33CC-4505-BEC2-2605FBFB737A.jpeg
    AC5FD9A1-33CC-4505-BEC2-2605FBFB737A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 1FE3433B-56F8-488F-A801-583C056452BA.jpeg
    1FE3433B-56F8-488F-A801-583C056452BA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
My 2002 5.4 V8 4X4 is still kicking along, though I don't put a lot of miles on it. I think it's currently at 155,000 miles and the biggest expense I've had was to replace the cruise control last year. It has been on some pretty sketchy roads at times, but like most 4X4's, mostly highway miles. I'm hoping it'll last another 10 years and I can put Washington's "Collector Vehicle" plates on it! 😂

I had all that talk about keeping my v10 f250..... Sold it couple months ago and got a 2019 silverado 1500.

Feels like a Prius compared to the ol ford.

seems like a nice truck so far.

I parted ways with my 2014 F150 last Monday. It had 278,000 & change miles on it. Had rust starting in the typical spots, motor and rest of drivetrain were in good shape but it developed a series of electrical gremlins that were eluding repair. Rather than dive down that rabbit hole I sold it to the mechanic at a good deal. I haven't owned a non Ford truck in the last 34 years but that one was the last Ford for me.

I parted ways with my 2014 F150 last Monday. It had 278,000 & change miles on it. Had rust starting in the typical spots, motor and rest of drivetrain were in good shape but it developed a series of electrical gremlins that were eluding repair. Rather than dive down that rabbit hole I sold it to the mechanic at a good deal. I haven't owned a non Ford truck in the last 34 years but that one was the last Ford for me.
Define gremlins. My 2010 sings at me constantly since I had a new alternator installed yet everything works! Have it parked in the front yard for sale trying to get some money out of it before the rust completely takes over.

278k sounds pretty good. Looks like you got your money's worth out of that truck. Mine is a relatively young 148k. Love the thing.

Define gremlins. My 2010 sings at me constantly since I had a new alternator installed yet everything works! Have it parked in the front yard for sale trying to get some money out of it before the rust completely takes over.
The issue started a couple of years ago. The battery light would come on very randomly. One day it wouldn't start. Troubleshot it to needing an alternator. That one lasted 6 months then the issue returned. Replaced it under warranty (O'Reilly). Lasted just days. Replaced again. Lasted a few months. In between all of that it shut off going down the road with all kinds of lights: battery, Servitrack, obstruction near passenger seat - wouldn't restart & mechanic couldn't get communication with computer. Ended up running new main wiring.
In June the battery light came back on. Took it to mechanic. They said it needed a Motorcraft alternator so I had them put one on. Before it left their shop they put 3 more on until the light was no longer coming on. They said they checked EVERYTHING.
Two days later, dead in morning. Found starter wasn't working. Replaced & started up. Wisely didn't take truck to Wyoming or Maine. Three weeks ago battery light came back on and wouldn't start under any attempts. Towed to mechanic.
Next day made deal with garage to return all money I spent in repairs with them plus s little cash. Signed title and walked away happy.

The issue started a couple of years ago. The battery light would come on very randomly. One day it wouldn't start. Troubleshot it to needing an alternator. That one lasted 6 months then the issue returned. Replaced it under warranty (O'Reilly). Lasted just days. Replaced again. Lasted a few months. In between all of that it shut off going down the road with all kinds of lights: battery, Servitrack, obstruction near passenger seat - wouldn't restart & mechanic couldn't get communication with computer. Ended up running new main wiring.
In June the battery light came back on. Took it to mechanic. They said it needed a Motorcraft alternator so I had them put one on. Before it left their shop they put 3 more on until the light was no longer coming on. They said they checked EVERYTHING.
Two days later, dead in morning. Found starter wasn't working. Replaced & started up. Wisely didn't take truck to Wyoming or Maine. Three weeks ago battery light came back on and wouldn't start under any attempts. Towed to mechanic.
Next day made deal with garage to return all money I spent in repairs with them plus s little cash. Signed title and walked away happy.
Did they ever do the battery life monitor reset?? I had that too, just unplugged the sensor and all is well.

Just took my 2017 F150 in to get the cams and oil pan replaced. It was rattling like an old tin can. Only has 60,000 miles. Thankful it is still under warranty.

I have a 07 f150 with 180k sitting in my yard if any body in Montana is interested. It has the 5.3l v8 with the cam phaser issue.

My brother has a 2012 with the 5.0 that's missing on 2 cylinders now. Gotta love ford's reliability

Over 264,000 on my 2010 FX4 with the 5.4 and in the last 4 years maybe 200 miles put on it. Rear end rebuilt once and noisy now. One alternator and one tune up since new. Since the alternator change the battery light, tire pressure sensor and traction control light continuously cycle. Clearing them does nothing. I just ignore them since the tires are up and it starts every time. I just have 3 vehicles and it needs to find a new home.

Over 264,000 on my 2010 FX4 with the 5.4 and in the last 4 years maybe 200 miles put on it. Rear end rebuilt once and noisy now. One alternator and one tune up since new. Since the alternator change the battery light, tire pressure sensor and traction control light continuously cycle. Clearing them does nothing. I just ignore them since the tires are up and it starts every time. I just have 3 vehicles and it needs to find a new home.
Reset the battery life monitor. Or unhook it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back