Buying a Ford

I have never seen a plug ejection on any ford after 2004 when they switched to the 3v 5.4.

My 2006 has been a great truck. It has a passenger side exhaust manifold leak that is pretty common.
Plug change went good without breaking any plugs (a common problem).
No cam phaser issues (know to happen)
Its a solid truck that I have really beat on.
I can write a whole page of common problems across all manufacturers.. cough (toyota cam shaft)...cough...
but if you get a good one and care for it they are usually good for about 275k

LOL mine once I reamed out the plug holes and installed adapters it works fine. Most Fords I had except this one I would put 300K miles on it or so before it finally died. Mine is a 2000 Triton V8 with half the exhaust pipe broken off and runs smooth otherwise. Tritons are not the easiest engine to work on yourself and I have always done my own work since I was a teen. Takes to many special tools that are on the spendy side. In general though, I am and will always be a Ford person. And I can quote common problems with Chevies by experience like trannies wearing out prematurely. I love Fords, just not the Triton engine.

Thanks for everyone’s input and advice. It’s greatly appreciated. I decided to skip on the truck I was looking at due to the fact that they were asking too much $$ for the age and mileage of it. And weren’t negotiable at all.

that is good for you,,they dont make fords like they used too,,run from that 5.4,,also stay away from the v-10s,,we have 7 of them in our fleet down right now scattered w major issues,,what a p o s,,,,sorry to say,,,,last good ford was the 2002 7.3 powerstroke.

I have never seen a plug ejection on any ford after 2004 when they switched to the 3v 5.4.

My 2006 has been a great truck. It has a passenger side exhaust manifold leak that is pretty common.
Plug change went good without breaking any plugs (a common problem).
No cam phaser issues (know to happen)
Its a solid truck that I have really beat on.
I can write a whole page of common problems across all manufacturers.. cough (toyota cam shaft)...cough...
but if you get a good one and care for it they are usually good for about 275k
The service truck I drive at work is a 09 f350 with the 5.4 had the spark plugs issue last year, now it's got a bad head gasket. It's currently at 94k miles.

I really hate to talk bad about Fords (since I own a few), but I would never buy one with a 5.4 engine. I've worked on my fair share of them for friends and family and saw everything from blown spark plugs to cam phazer issues to worn cam journals requiring head replacement. If I were buy a new-to-me domestic truck right now, I'd have to lean towards a newer Ford with the 5.0 if I had the coin.

The 1/2 ton trucks aren't what they used to be so I would even consider a Chevy with the 5.3, although GM wiring/electronics can be troublesome. The 5.3 is pretty bullet proof and I'd take one of them in a Chevy over a Ford 5.4 any day. I also have an 03 Suburban with 257k on it that runs like a top. I've looked at newer Expeditions as a replacement, but they're still running the 5.4. Stupidest thing Ford ever did. If they put the 5.0 in the Expedition, they'd really have something to compete with the Suburban.

Like others have said, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Unfortunately there's probably more bad ones in this case.

The 1/2 ton trucks aren't what they used to be so I would even consider a Chevy with the 5.3, although GM wiring/electronics can be troublesome. The 5.3 is pretty bullet proof and I'd take one of them in a Chevy over a Ford 5.4 any day. I also have an 03 Suburban with 257k on it that runs like a top. I've looked at newer Expeditions as a replacement, but they're still running the 5.4. Stupidest thing Ford ever did. If they put the 5.0 in the Expedition, they'd really have something to compete with the Suburban.

Like others have said, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Unfortunately there's probably more bad ones in this case.
The 5.3 has been just as troubled with oil consumption, knocking, oil pressure the afm issues or the Castec cracked heads there have been a lot of problems.
Its easy to dislike the ford 5.4 if its the only truck you work on because you don't realize how many problems they all have.

also forgot the COP's are a PITA trying to diagnose especially since they dont alsways throw a code until it really knocks going down the highway

WARNING: Check with the dealer and see which model years of the 5.4 Triton have these two issues. Mine is a 2004 Ford. I have liked it except for this, and this is a BIG except.
1. Before X amount of miles the spark plugs have to be changed or they can be a SOB to get out. I believe it's before they reach 75,000 miles or something like that. It can get expensive to have them replaced if too many more miles are driven beyond that point. I took mine in before the miles they warn about and it was still a bitch to get them out.

2. The 5.4 Triton's did have a flaw in the oil delivery system. I can't recall which years but I do know 2004 is one of those years. I think the 2008 is in that range of engine issues also, but please call a dealer and speak with a mechanic in the shop. I religiously changed oil and filters every 5000 miles. When I hit 120,00 miles on my truck last year I was driving home from Lewiston Idaho and my motor ate itself for lunch. It started running terribly and I limped it home. They dealer checked and the engine was toast! Nothing could be done except to replace it. I had to much money in the pickup to just let it go so I had to have a new engine put in. I would get next to nothing for the condition it was in at this point with an engine that needing replacing. $7600.00 later it's running great. They fixed the oil feed system so I don't have to worry about that, and don't also have to worry about the spark plugs. I really liked my pickup but this was hard to live with.

Funny thing I bought the pickup when it was two years old at the dealer and it had 20,000 miles on it. Never once was this issue brought to my attention and I know that they knew about it by then. I would have gotten a different model year or one that had a different engine. CALL THE DEALER AND CHECK!

HAD TO ADD THIS ALSO: A good friends son had a 2006 F150 with the same motor and it's engine ate itself also with lubrication system defects. He too had a new engine installed.

WARNING: Check with the dealer and see which model years of the 5.4 Triton have these two issues. Mine is a 2004 Ford. I have liked it except for this, and this is a BIG except.
1. Before X amount of miles the spark plugs have to be changed or they can be a SOB to get out. I believe it's before they reach 75,000 miles or something like that. It can get expensive to have them replaced if too many more miles are driven beyond that point. I took mine in before the miles they warn about and it was still a bitch to get them out.

2. The 5.4 Triton's did have a flaw in the oil delivery system. I can't recall which years but I do know 2004 is one of those years. I think the 2008 is in that range of engine issues also, but please call a dealer and speak with a mechanic in the shop. I religiously changed oil and filters every 5000 miles. When I hit 120,00 miles on my truck last year I was driving home from Lewiston Idaho and my motor ate itself for lunch. It started running terribly and I limped it home. They dealer checked and the engine was toast! Nothing could be done except to replace it. I had to much money in the pickup to just let it go so I had to have a new engine put in. I would get next to nothing for the condition it was in at this point with an engine that needing replacing. $7600.00 later it's running great. They fixed the oil feed system so I don't have to worry about that, and don't also have to worry about the spark plugs. I really liked my pickup but this was hard to live with.

Funny thing I bought the pickup when it was two years old at the dealer and it had 20,000 miles on it. Never once was this issue brought to my attention and I know that they knew about it by then. I would have gotten a different model year or one that had a different engine. CALL THE DEALER AND CHECK!

HAD TO ADD THIS ALSO: A good friends son had a 2006 F150 with the same motor and it's engine ate itself also with lubrication system defects. He too had a new engine installed.
My 01 had 63k when I got it after extensive research on which models have been a problem. Lucked out on a good year and the care mine had from previous owner. My RE problems came from a poor service place,but only option at the time. I switched to new plugs/cops done right @ 90k. Make sure you use Ford OEM fluids too............this was the RE problem,wrong fluid & additive.

I drive a 1998 ranger xlt manual transmission. 3.0 liter motor. 276k.......engine runs like new. But I have replaced everything else on the truck. Good rig. With 200lbs in the bed, I’d bet this truck against any on a icy/snowy uphill road. Goes like hell!
I’m not brand specific, I’ll drive what’s reliable, but the fords are the easiest to work on to me.

IMO new trucks are overpriced and don’t have the quality that they used to. Most recently also had a new dodge 2500 with the Cummins motor. Only decent part of that truck was the motor, the rest of the truck was literal cheap JUNK.

buy a ford???? good luck had a 2014 that was a absoulute disaster transmission linkige would freeze up dealer said it was a problem on that year and basically said good luck never again

2011 f150 this morning. One set of brakes, one tune up and a two hour visit to my Dealer. I’ve owned 7 ford trucks since 1974, never thought of buying anything else, except after a very brief tour with a 2003 6liter diesel. That was a terrible motor.

Attachments

• 28471127-B2A4-453B-B67F-D4527144AF50.jpeg
    28471127-B2A4-453B-B67F-D4527144AF50.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
welp, I bit the bullet, the 2000 f150 was due for brakes, exhaust manfifold, and tires were getting close to repairing, so I got a '13 Screw with 6.5ft box and ecoboost; I originally did not want the eco but this used vehicle qualified for the lifetime powertrain warranty. figured I'd spring the extra 3k vs a vehcle with 30k more miles. man, what a difference in towing the trailer and its got some pickme up! I told my friend its like pulling a deer by hand vs using a ATV now

wish me luck(y)

The 5.3 has been just as troubled with oil consumption, knocking, oil pressure the afm issues or the Castec cracked heads there have been a lot of problems.
Its easy to dislike the ford 5.4 if its the only truck you work on because you don't realize how many problems they all have.

When my 5.3 chevy reached 68,000 miles it started using oil like a pig eating slop. Chevy did NOTHING. 3 1/2 quarts in 5,000 miles, got rid of that "gutless" pos and went back to a ford. And the new ones are not any better for power. Buddys new outdoorsman model struggles to pull a 16' enclosed trailer and gets 7.5 mpg pulling it. my 3.5 ecoboost does not even know its back there, about 9-10 mpg pulling same load

Just had a window regulator go out in my 2013. Besides ball joints, which I would consider fairly routine and which I probably contributed to with a leveling kit, that is the first repair I’ve made in its 136k miles

Back