Breaking in a Barrel Advice

Flatrock

So what is everyone's thoughts on how to break in a new barrel? I've been researching it a bit and it seems like a royal pain in the a**. Do I really need to shoot 100 rounds through it? Do I really need to shoot once, clean once for the 1st 10-20 rounds and then after that, clean after every 3 rounds or so? Some guys say to just shoot 20-30 rounds and call it good. What does everyone think? I'm going to have a new rifle soon and am trying to get this all straight.

You hear about 100 different methods and when it comes down to it, I don't think any of it matters if you are using your rifle for anything other than competitive shooting.

It will take some shooting before you get the copper fouling under control, it makes sense to me to clean it often at first with a good copper cleaning solution, but I don't think it is going to change much for a hunting rifle.

"Breaking in" a barrel is about minimizing how quickly the barrel fouls in the future. A cut rifled barrel that hasn't had enough polishing tends to accumulate fouling faster than a highly polished barrel. Hammer forged or button fifled barrels typically need little break in.

"Breaking in" a barrel is about minimizing how quickly the barrel fouls in the future. A cut rifled barrel that hasn't had enough polishing tends to accumulate fouling faster than a highly polished barrel. Hammer forged or button fifled barrels typically need little break in.

Who makes cut rifeled barrels?

Bartlien, Krieger, Brux, Rock and Mark Chanlynn are a few makers of custom cut rifled barrels. Breaking in a barrel has many different camps on it's benifits. Here's Gail McMillans take http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html
And this is Kriegers opinion http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm
I have a Bartlien on my rifle. I just fired 3 round groups while working up a load right from the start. I let the barrel cool to ambient temp between each round and cleaned between each group. There was very little copper fouling from the first group, one patch and it was gone. After that I haven't seen any signs of copper fouling. These are average 3 shot groups.
Wes
firstgroup-5969.jpg

group1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd fire one round, then clean, 3 rounds, then clean, 6 rounds then clean, and 12 rounds then clean. After that I figure the law of diminishing returns applies to were it isn't worth messing with.
If your worried about accuracy the main thing I'd do is don't clean from the crown side and protect the crown. I hear the big accuracy guys always talking about protecting the crown of the barrel.

Who makes cut rifled barrels
That is how barrels are made. You take a chunk of steel and drill/cut a hole through it. Then you cut rifling into the steel and it leaves small machine or cut or tool marks.

I'd fire one round, then clean, 3 rounds, then clean, 6 rounds then clean, and 12 rounds then clean. After that I figure the law of diminishing returns applies to were it isn't worth messing with.
If your worried about accuracy the main thing I'd do is don't clean from the crown side and protect the crown. I hear the big accuracy guys always talking about protecting the crown of the barrel.

That is how barrels are made. You take a chunk of steel and drill/cut a hole through it. Then you cut rifling into the steel and it leaves small machine or cut or tool marks.
Not all barrels are made by cut rifling, I'd guess that actually most aren't. Button rifling and hammer forging of a barrel are more common. From wikipedia:

pressing all grooves at once with a tool called a "button" that is pushed or pulled down the barrel (button rifling);

forging the barrel over a mandrel containing a reverse image of the rifling, and often the chamber as well (hammer forging);

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. One article that I read said that a guy can easily do more harm than good to the barrel and crown by cleaning it so much during the break-in process. I think I'll tone it back a bit from a 100 rounds.

I have a new Rem 7STW, 1 round and clean, 3 rounds and clean, 3 and clean till I had shot 25 rounds. I have 40 thru it now and it copper fouls so frigging bad after 5 shots it takes 2 hours with copper paste, plastic brush, and copper solvent to clean the dam thing.
Absolute pain in the ass.

Last edited:
When they quit shooting as accurately as they should. Both my 223AI and 30-06 have more than 200 rounds through them since the last time they were cleaned...

I'm in the process of building a rifle and will be lapping the barrel before firing. That should minimize the break-in required if I do it properly. You might look on YouTube for the tutorials on that process.

WapitiBob
Try Montana Extreme Copper Killer. It is the best copper solvent that i have tried. Whatever you don't challenge the instructions about using it in a WELL ventilated area, and don't ever take a sniff to see how strong the smell is. If you do it will feel like you have been hit over the head with a sledge hammer. Don't ask me how I know , just trust me. I have also tried Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner. It works great, just haven't tried it on a copper fouled barrel.
Tarheel
If your building a custom rifle using a custom barrel you might want to check with your barrel maker about lapping their barrel. Most barrel makers that I have talked to say NOT to lapp a custom barrel. They will not honor the warranty if you do.
Wes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back