NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Breaking in a Barrel Advice

What about cleaning brand new barrel before firing or is that a waste to

I'd read your manual. I bought one gun brand new (can't recall the brand?) and the manual said to run a brush through before firing to remove a factory applied barrel protectant. I've seen this for a few other guns as well...

Lapping can ruin a barrel if your not careful. Most quality custom barrels don't need it.I'd consult the maufacturer before starting the process. Stay away from fire lapping--that's a sure way to ruin a barrel.

Gundog,

That is what I thought. I never tried it, but I had read an article on it. It seemed way to good to be true.

I have broken in barrels on my guns, and I have a stable of good shooting rifles (Tikka, Weatherby, Kimber, ARs), but I am not sure breaking them in had anything to do with it.

I would do what the barrel manufacture recommends. A bore scope with before and after pictures can show that break in will remove and smooth out imperfections that will pull copper off a jacket and it will make tight spots, I was messing with a muzzel loader with copper jacket bullets and you could feel the fouled spots getting tighter and tighter from the copper build up as you pushed the bullet down. Ended up sending the gun back because the barrel was not smooth enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PotomacRiver
Back