Brass not stretching?

Doublecluck

I built a .28 Nosler on a savage action last winter. Haven’t got around to screwing with it a much until now. Anyhow this is a shilen barrel throated specifically for 195’s. I’m on my 4th round of firing this Nosler brass and have not needed to trim my cases. They started around 2.575 and not a single one is over 2.579. Max case is 2.59 and I was planning on trimming to 2.58. I’m full length sizing after each round of firing. The main reason for asking is the chamfer still looks good after resizing and not sure I should keep re chamfering even though they aren’t being trimmed.

If ya don't need to trim, ya don't need to trim! What are you using for dies? I found that using collet dies really slowed down the stretching process. Reason being, I'm sure, no expander nipple pulling on the necks!

Take the factory expander button out and put in an undersized button so that you only size and deprime. If you need/want expansion just get one of the Sinclair Generation II expander dies and the smallest carbide mandrel that they offer for the caliber. i.e. for a .257 caliber get a .255 mandrel.

No need to rechamfer if you aren’t trimming. That’s pretty good case life/growth especially with FL sizing. I’d just keep an eye on the length and trim when needed.
What load are you running with the 195s?

The more I've trimmed brass the more of a pain in the keester I think it is. I wouldn't worry about it until you need to, to uniform them.

I still chamfer and re-bur brass I didn't trim, but only very very lightly.

No need to rechamfer if you aren’t trimming. That’s pretty good case life/growth especially with FL sizing. I’d just keep an eye on the length and trim when needed.
What load are you running with the 195s?

77.8 grs of retumbo and 83.5 of rl 33 are the two I’ve got going. Both are sub 1/2”. The retumbo is pretty close to max as I started getting sticky bolt/primer flattening around 78.3. Likely go with the retumbo as it’s less temperature sensitive. I’m sure the rl is getting better velocity but I lost all my data from the fall when I worked up that load. It was close to 3100 from what I remember. Doing some long range verification over the weekend, probably take it out to 1000.

Last edited:
I’ve been running RL33 but have been considering Retumbo to see how it shoots and carbon fouls.
What speed are you getting with Retumbo? Any problems with carbon ring?

I built a .28 Nosler on a savage action last winter. Haven’t got around to screwing with it a much until now. Anyhow this is a shilen barrel throated specifically for 195’s. I’m on my 4th round of firing this Nosler brass and have not needed to trim my cases. They started around 2.575 and not a single one is over 2.579. Max case is 2.59 and I was planning on trimming to 2.58. I’m full length sizing after each round of firing. The main reason for asking is the chamfer still looks good after resizing and not sure I should keep re chamfering even though they aren’t being trimmed.

I want to hear more about the build... did you do any kind of a write up on the process on here? I've got a Savage 116 in 7 RM that I've been tossing around the idea of doing a .28 Nosler build with. Would love to pick your brain about it if I can.

I want to hear more about the build... did you do any kind of a write up on the process on here? I've got a Savage 116 in 7 RM that I've been tossing around the idea of doing a .28 Nosler build with. Would love to pick your brain about it if I can.

I don’t recall if I did a write up. Basicallly I bought a used savage 110 7rm at shedhorn sports in ennis at their thanksgiving sale for 200 bucks. My intent was to use just the action to build “something”. Originally I was going to go with a McMillan stock and a ultra light barrel with a brake. After some debate and not wanting to wait a lifetime for McMillan to make my stock I got impatient and went a different direction. Here’s what I ended up with.

Stock- choate tactical inletted by cdi for their bottom metal.

Action-completely stock 110 action with
Factory accutrigger. Action was machined to properly feed from a 3.75 ACcuracy international CIP magazine

Barrel- northern shooters supply shilen select match .28 Nosler with a trued barrel nut and recoil lug.

Warne mountain tech 20 moa rail and nighforce rings

Leupold vx3 i Lrp 6.5x20

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back