PEAX Equipment

Bowhunting Advice Requested

CornFedCoon

Hello all, I really enjoy this site and all of the information that it provides. It is such a great resource.

I have been hunting whitetails in Ohio since I was just a kid. I have traveled to Nebraska and shot whitetails and mule deer there as well. However, all of these successful hunts have been with either a shotgun, rifle, or muzzleloader. I like to think that I am very proficient with a gun while hunting game.

A couple years ago I bought a bow and wanted to start bowhunting simply because it seemed that was when most of the nice bucks were killed, plus it offered a much, much longer season that I could hunt. More hunting is always better!! However, since then it has been frustration. I get in a rush each time I get an encounter and make a poor shot. Like I said earlier, I do not have this problem whatsoever with a gun. I was hoping some of you bowhunting gurus would shed some light on how you're able to keep your nerves calm and work yourself through a successful shot on a game animal.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Bow hunting presents special challenges different from rifle hunting.

if you cannot walk away from a close encounter without feeling great about it and NOT flinging an arrow maybe bowhu ting is not for you.

For me, I have learned to simply smile and appreciate what coulda been or almost was and continue to hunt when the close in set up is not perfect enough to allow a "certain" shot that would be a big surprise if not successful. If you are rushing shots and the outcome is poor often. (Missed, hit but with poor placement, etc. ) you can only look to your self and probably know the cause already.

You could be shooting too far when you know you should not, shooting with bad shot angle presentation to the vitals, shooting when you know the odds of success are wishful at best, or simply fail to lock in your concentration and whatever sequence of shot planning you know you should be doing but release the arrow anyway. If it is buck fever when in bow range every time whereas when holding a rifle you are able to stay calm and focused at greater range then maybe start going out expecting to pass on shooting when you know you are too amped up to perform a good shot and mentally allow yourself to see that non shot as success until you really know the shot you will take will achieve a quick kill.

From what you wrote, it seems you know you are shooting at a moment you already know full well is NOT the right moment and you shoot anyway? Ask yourself why you are compelled to rush a shot and then plan ahead and teach yourself to recognize and control that urge. If you cannot, then bowhunting "cause that is when big deer get killled" may not be the right choice to make. Flinging arrows when you know deep down the odds of a clean ethical kill are suspect is not hunting any more than flinging lead when the quick kill outcome is far from certain is hunting.

do you practice A LOT? Do you shoot tournaments, 3D shoots etc. for fun? If not maybe start so you are a better archer to begin with....Alot of practice is key to bow hunting success IMO.

Last edited:
Shoot, shoot, shoot, and when you're tired of pulling arrows, shoot some more! Hit every 3-D shoot your local archery range offers to the public, consider even joining! I had the same problem for a few years, but I have put in the time on making shots through small windows, shot on small targets, shots under pressure, longer shots etc...I found that the more confident I am with shooting I can focus more on getting into range and in a good setup to where I know the shot will be a good shot. Also, Speedmn, you're right, forget about the headgear when the moment comes.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't just fling arrows, make a conscious decision to make every practice shot perfect. Go through a mental shot sequence checklist EVERY time when you are practicing. Do this a lot, and it will become second nature under the stress of a hunting shot.

Read Khunter's post a few times, good advice there.

I get where you are coming from. I am not an expert bow hunter by no means still no blood with my stick and string but as I grew older the nerves and being able to deal with them has gotten better. I have had twin fawns talk right past me at 3 feet that gets the heart racing I wont lie and I have shot deer with a rifle under 7 yards before. Everytime I get excited my adrenaline gets up but you have to be able to calm yourself down. When I first hunted with my bow I had to pass on 2 doe that year at 25yds I pulled back and was way to shaking to make a clean shot. After that disappointment I learned to just focus on the target as if I was shooting in the yard a routine shot everytime. now that I am done with college I have more time on my hands and will be getting out more with my bow.

Like everyone said above practice practice and even more. Put yourself into shooting competitions that will raise your stress levels missing a 3d target is better than missing or a bad shot on a live animal. I know it is not related to bow hunting but pheasant hunting with my dogs has really made me a better hunter. When those birds flush right in front of you it scares the shit out of you but then you have to collect yourself and make a good shot.

Good luck and if it feels like a bad shot you owe it to the animal to put the weapon down and either recollect yourself and try again or let it walk.

The "easy" answer is to practice MORE but I think you would be better served to practice BETTER. Once you know the bow is sighted in, you need to practice how you are going to hunt. When hunting, you don't get to be a little bit off on the first shot and then make corrections on the next dozen. You get ONE shot so practice ONE shot. One shot each day at a random distance: better make it count.

I had the same problem as you did until I finally realized one day that.....

"There is nothing to get excited about until it is dead".

BTW - fine bow hunting down on the Wayne. I go almost every year.

I wanted to post an update to let you all know how your advice has helped me.

Since the original post I hadn't hunted at all until last night. I practiced and practiced and practiced. I went to a bow shop and had them go through my bow to make sure my setup was correct (it was). I contacted local people and had them help me with my form. I was shooting with my dad last night and got to the point where I was feeling pretty good with my shot.

I went to my stand with a hard plan in mind. Only perfectly broadside shots at stone still deer under 20 yards was what I would take a shot at. At about 6:15 I saw a doe come through the woods and down the trail I was set up on. She walked directly towards me, directly under my stand, and directly away from me. I think the fact that I was perfectly fine with letting the deer walk away helped me stay calm. I drew back just in case she decided to turn. As luck would have it she turned broadside at 17 yards. I slowly and calmly got the pin on her and squeezed off a good shot. I short track job later I found her. After dressing her I found both lungs had been hit by the arrow. My first archery deer. Thanks so much for the helpful people on this site. You've helped me greatly.

14642243_10157611476460223_7565311309920178464_n.jpg

CornFedCoon nice of you to bring up the problem, work on it diligently and then put that practice into effect successfully, and come back to HuntTalk to share your results. Congratulations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back