Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Major #*^@#* ups

I'm curious as well. What's the blood look like and what's the arrow look like? Where do you feel like you hit him? I think you'll find him dead tho.

Must be the year of missed deer. Sorry to hear man. We’re paddling the same boat along with that other thread.

Sounds like you hit a bone somewhere or it deflected the arrow somewhat sideways not letting it penetrate. I would guess it's going to be just fine.

Sounds like you hit a bone somewhere or it deflected the arrow somewhat sideways not letting it penetrate. I would guess it's going to be just fine.
That's my thought as well. Still checking some nearby creeks and water holes just in case. Everything was like it was scripted up until the arrow left. Talk about a great day gone the other way.

Last edited:
That's my thought as well. Still checking some nearby creeks and water holes just in case. Everything was like it was scripted up until the arrow left. Talk about a great day gone the other way.
Chit happens. All props to you for your due dilligence. Chumps often quickly scrap it and off to another buck.

learning my first hard archery hunting lessons here in wisconsin as i type. unfortunately gotta hit the pavement tomorrow. luckily we're not talking huge deer. but, there's a likely dead and unrecovered deer out there somewhere. when you have blood trails that start solid but disappear 200 yards later in the ultra thick stuff it's a shitty feeling.

oh well, on to the next. there's no other choice.

learning my first hard archery hunting lessons here in wisconsin as i type. unfortunately gotta hit the pavement tomorrow. luckily we're not talking huge deer. but, there's a likely dead and unrecovered deer out there somewhere. when you have blood trails that start solid but disappear 200 yards later in the ultra thick stuff it's a shitty feeling.

oh well, on to the next. there's no other choice.
Sorry to hear that. Was pulling for you. Did you enjoy the midwest thing overall?

Funny thing about archery wounds a lot more of them live then people think…of course that doesn’t make it any easier because typically you never get closure

When I was 12 years old, I shot an 8 pointer and hit him right in the point of the shoulder. Being a 12-year-old I just knew that deer was going to die. We trailed that deer for a half a mile and lost blood. Never did find the arrow. I was so disappointed and even only being 12 years old I was having a hard time with it.

Several weeks later we were spotlighting (the day before the PA gun season opener) and there he was, sniffing a doe and he had a scar 95% healed up right on the point of his shoulder. I remember how relieved I was to see him alive and well.

I killed my first buck the following year from the ground while walking into that same treestand on the last day of the PA archery season. While he wasn't as big as that 8 pointer, he was my first bow kill buck and it lit the fire that burns to this day.

Moral of the story, deer can lose a LOT of blood and not die. It's incredible how much they can lose actually. If you don't hit an organ, odds are they will live.

Sorry to hear that. Was pulling for you. Did you enjoy the midwest thing overall?

absolutely. i'll likely still put together some sort of write up. but, lots of action, great family time.

spoiler being i shot two bucks, one was 100% non fatal. we knew pretty quickly. void above the lungs at 18 yards, clean arrow, trailed it for 2.5 hours 168 yards before the sparse blood trail disappeared. second buck was a tiny last day buck, 48 yard shot, great blood trail that slowly peetered out after 150 yards and then he went uphill, obviously a bad sign, into the thick stuff. i'm only 50/50 on that shot being fatal, i think it was a shoulder shot. couldn't find the arrow.

i've got the standing invite to keep coming out, learned a fair bit, and had a great time. so i'm headed home head high.

i've got more tags coming up and the freezer ain't empty :D

When I was 12 years old, I shot an 8 pointer and hit him right in the point of the shoulder. Being a 12-year-old I just knew that deer was going to die. We trailed that deer for a half a mile and lost blood. Never did find the arrow. I was so disappointed and even only being 12 years old I was having a hard time with it.

Several weeks later we were spotlighting (the day before the PA gun season opener) and there he was, sniffing a doe and he had a scar 95% healed up right on the point of his shoulder. I remember how relieved I was to see him alive and well.

I killed my first buck the following year from the ground while walking into that same treestand on the last day of the PA archery season. While he wasn't as big as that 8 pointer, he was my first bow kill buck and it lit the fire that burns to this day.

Moral of the story, deer can lose a LOT of blood and not die. It's incredible how much they can lose actually. If you don't hit an organ, odds are they will live.
When I was maybe 14 or 15, I arrowed a buck in the shoulder blade. Pretty young buck. Year and a half I'd guess. Trailed him for about half a mile, ended up going into a swamp knee deep, followed blood for awhile until it dried up. Checked all over and couldn't find that deer.

Fast forward 4 (maybe 5) years, and my dad shot a dandy of a buck, he was really old, tons of gray hair and battle scars. Guess who's 3 blade muzzy broadhead was still in that deer's shoulder?!

Dang - sorry to hear this, Nick. Hopefully you can get another chance at him.

Dang - sorry to hear this, Nick. Hopefully you can get another chance at him.
I used to have that tiny corner of the farm to hunt I made the mistake of telling the farmer about the big buck. Learned today that his cousin will now be hunting it and I can hunt whenever he's not hunting. Which I was told by his cousin shortly thereafter he'll be hunting it every weekend. So there goes that. Seems like a nice guy but always goose hunted the farm never even deer hunt up until hearing about the buck apparently went out and got himself a crossbow today. Sigh.

I used to have that tiny corner of the farm to hunt I made the mistake of telling the farmer about the big buck. Learned today that his cousin will now be hunting it and I can hunt whenever he's not hunting. Which I was told by his cousin shortly thereafter he'll be hunting it every weekend. So there goes that. Seems like a nice guy but always goose hunted the farm never even deer hunt up until hearing about the buck apparently went out and got himself a crossbow today. Sigh.
Dang it. That’s brutal news.

Edit: similar to a place I hunt where when family starts coming I’m pushed out. Which is fine. Just happy to hunt it when allowed.

Back