Boulder County fire

It went south of them 5 miles or so.
They could see the flames at sunset from the dinning room.
My niece is safe too,attending to patients at a local hospital. She had been at one that did burn.
My BIL's fathers house is gone.

My mom’s senior living center has been evacuated, with those folks going with relatives or into hotels until the fire is contained. So she is with my brother…..l

This photo is just up the block from his house in the twilight hours.

B34F4655-AF3C-4507-957D-0B96B2BBC638.png
They know of multiple family friends who have lost everything to the flames.

Wind gusts were up to 100MPH this afternoon.

Buddy’s wife said she watched the transformer explode that started it all.

On her way to work and an hour later they came through telling everyone to get out.

What a nightmare scenario...like a huge blowtorch. I can't imagine the terror and desperation.

I saw a blip on the news at my parents in passing, but have been away from tv lately, I just remembered when I heard something about a fire in Colorado I was like how can you have a fire in the winter time ? And now I’m just catching this thread like some of the others have recently posted as well , I just am speechless , it’s one of those things that you can’t wrap your head around.
I’ve never been in or anywhere close to a natural disaster so when you see all these pictures like that, you have nothing to draw from in a life experience, like noharley said , I can’t even imagine…..

I live next to open space in Boulder and the winds were unreal, over 100 mph. I could see the smoke and it truly looked apocalyptic. I drive past the impacted area fairly often and never suspected a wildfire would erupt there. A true disaster. Thoughts and prayers to everyone impacted.

Snow is just now beginning to arrive in Boulder County. Lows tonight will approach zero, and with power outages there will be real danger of water line freezes in buildings that have been spared (so far). Fires are still ongoing, but the winds have made it possible to attempt to control damages, rather that rush to clear people out.

Mom’s close friend knows the house is gone, and presumes the horses met a fiery fate. Word is that other horse owners that have been spared are trying to accommodate people looking for a place to stable a horse temporarily.

What a mess. My cousin's house was spared but houses a couple doors down on either side burned to the ground. They had moved, a couple years ago, out of the Boulder foothills in no small part due to the frequent fires and evacuations. Mesa County even sent people over last night to help. We jumped from clip to clip last night on youtube, the footage was apocalyptic and it was all from the ground. The winds prevented any air assets.

Not long ago my other cousin just dodged the Kentucky tornados. Granted, I have boatloads of cousins, but I'm kind of waiting for that third strike somewhere. I heard this morning they were not aware of any fire deaths which, if true, would be a miracle given how that fire went down. I pray that's the case.

I couldn't help but wonder how the people of Grand County feel about Gov Polis yammering on last night about last year's fires not burning houses, just structures on USFS and BLM land. For those keeping track at home, about 350 homes were lost there. I know it's not some macabre contest and he just parrots the info he's fed, but that got me yelling at my TV...

Last edited:
Brings back images of the Carr and Camp fires I worked in Nor Cal a few years back, just horrific for all involved.
Exactly what I felt, I got a very uneasy feeling reading and watching the news on this one. Wind driven fires like this and especially the Carr Fire are terrifying. I was there the day Firefighter Stoke lost his life and seeing the unreal damage of the "fire tornado". Hang tough Boulder and Colorado folks. I've been through too many of these and seen so much loss amongst friends and families. It is devastating and the process is long, but you will rebuild and replace items. It is the people around you who will grow closer and be more cherished. Stay strong.

Amazing photos and sad for those affected. Scientifically speaking what do the spread patterns look like on something like this, in terms of what structures burned and what didn’t? Just basically everything in the path of the wind?
I’m pretty familiar with wildfire dynamics in forested zones, but not really what I assume are essentially subdivisions with some grasslands and mixed urban in between.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WMNhunter09
Back