Boots for Pronghorn Hunting

I actually do have pronghorns (8") for pronghorn and birds (not elk/deer). I refer to them as my prairie boots. They have a lot of miles on them and just bought my first pair of irish setter wingshooter to become my new "prairie" boots. They were highly rated and decided to give them a shot.
Thanks for the info and reply! How tall are your wingshooters and are yours insulated? Thanks so much!!

You are overthinking this. It's antelope hunting with a guide. Anything that's relatively cactus-proof will be just fine. I suspect you'll spend a lot more time on a seat than on your feet.
Yeah, I agree. I do want some that I can use for a long time and on hunts where I will probably be without a guide.

Personally I wear Danner Pronghorns. I like them. You can get muddy quick with rain. Could even snow. Also quality pants with reinforcement in the knees and possibly gloves may be a consideration. I have pullled our many thorns from belly crawling Wyoming prairie which is full of little cactus. Good luck!

Thanks for the info and reply! How tall are your wingshooters and are yours insulated? Thanks so much!!
9". no insulation. 2 pairs of high quality socks (merino light pair plus a heavy sock) are good insulation. Buy your boots 1/2 to 1 size bigger.

I know you are going on a guided hunt and don't need to spend the money on all this but buying something quality up front will definitely serve you well for future hunts sans guide.

9". no insulation. 2 pairs of high quality socks (merino light pair plus a heavy sock) are good insulation. Buy your boots 1/2 to 1 size bigger.

I know you are going on a guided hunt and don't need to spend the money on all this but buying something quality up front will definitely serve you well for future hunts sans guide.
Ok, thank you so much!!!

Cactus can ruin good boots quickly. Boots are my most important piece of elk hunting gear, but walking a bit and dealing with cactus for pronghorns is completely different. Any comfortable pair of uninsulated ankle high leather boots with tough soles will work quite well for chasing pronghorns. I would not wear an expensive pair of good quality elk hunting boots while hunting pronghorns.

I'd suggest getting the Kenetreks. I wear mine for goats and really appreciate the support (I have Hardscrabbles, uninsulated Mountain Extremes, and 400gr MEs). Only downside is they can be a little noisy if you are stalking, although I've never had it be an issue. Kenetreks will last for years and then when you do get after the elk you will have your boots ready to go.

I would definitely go with light hiking boots. They may use ATVs to get around but you won't stalk an antelope on one...

Be prepared to do some walking, just in case.

Get a comfortable boot or hiker that you can walk in comfortably. You will come across sage, cactus and other pokey stuff, you will want some protection..

I only have two requirements for pronghorn boots; comfortable and all leather. I've had too many cactus spines and or grass seed awns go through non leather boots.

An all leather boot with high quality socks should do the trick. My first pronghorn trip to Wyoming the weather was dry and in the 80's, but on my last trip it snowed nearly every night and barely got out of the 20's during the day (both were in early to mid October). The latter presented the more difficult scenario as my boots weren't as waterproof as I'd thought. I was wishing that I'd brought along a good pair of gaiters. Ended up killing my pronghorn on our last morning in a pair of steel toe, pull on Red Wings I was wearing when we left the house....so don't stress too much about it.

Thank yall for all the info, knowledge, and wisdom! I have bought the Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots. Again thanks!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back