PEAX Equipment

Boots for Pronghorn Hunting

RugerHawg413

As some of you know or may remember that I posted a tread on the elk forum about hunting boots and I about I a lot of replies (thanks so much for all the info). I unfortunately did not get a elk tag this year, but I am trying to get a WY pronghorn tag. My hunt (if I receive a tag) is thru a guide and by reading thru their website it says that they use UTVs. So my question is that should I still buy some expensive hunting boots (kenetreks) or should I just use my mucks for this hunt? Thanks for all info and knowledge! Have a great day!!

I wore a pair of Merrell hiking boots last year. This year I’ll be wearing my Danner Vitals. Had the vitals along last year but the Antelope didn’t give me time to change shoes. 😉

Can get pretty sloppy with any rain or snow so mucks probably wouldn’t be horrible to have along just in case.

Leather, those prickle pears can penetrate cloth boots! Dont need anything fancy just comfortable and some protection. Some zones are better than others but in general that would be my only concern.
Thanks for the reply! Is their one leather hiking boot or shoe that you recommend? Thanks!!

I wore a pair of Merrell hiking boots last year. This year I’ll be wearing my Danner Vitals. Had the vitals along last year but the Antelope didn’t give me time to change shoes. 😉

Can get pretty sloppy with any rain or snow so mucks probably wouldn’t be horrible to have along just in case.
Do you buy the 6'' Trail version or the 8'' boots? Also are yours insulated? Thanks!

Do you buy the 6'' Trail version or the 8'' boots? Also are yours insulated? Thanks!

My vitals are 8” non insulated. I originally bought them for archery elk and bow hunting whitetails but now I also use them for spring turkey and this will be second year they made the trip to Wyoming for Antelope.

The Mucks are always a great backup to have along, certainly not my first choice for any hunting tho.

I usually bring with a few types of footwear when I’m Pronghorn hunting; my favorite pair of Lowa Tibet’s for most of the Hunt, a pair of lightweight running shoes in case the weather is hot and dry, a pair of Kenetrek’s for backup, and I always have a pair of Mucks with just in case it gets muddy.

Pronghorn hunting usually involves the vehicle more than elk or deer hunting, so having these options available in the truck make sense more than on backcountry or hiking hunts.

One more pair of footwear I usually have with is an easy pair of slip-ons for camp, it’s nice to change out of the boots you’ve been wearing all day, just like Mr. Rogers.

All I'll add is, make sure whatever you're wearing is waterproof. Mid-October, the weather can be all over the place. My mid-October hunt last year there was snow on the ground the first day, then it melted off. Ground was really wet. By mid day, if you didn't have waterproof boots on, you were toast. Doesn't need to be fancy boot, just a good hiking one will do.

all my lopes have been killed during bow seasons. I opt for light weight breathable hikers. Last year I used a pair of mid hight gor-tex northface sneakers, they were perfect.

all my lopes have been killed during bow seasons. I opt for light weight breathable hikers. Last year I used a pair of mid hight gor-tex northface sneakers, they were perfect.
Do you know which ones they are? Thanks for the reply and info!

I actually do have pronghorns (8") for pronghorn and birds (not elk/deer). I refer to them as my prairie boots. They have a lot of miles on them and just bought my first pair of irish setter wingshooter to become my new "prairie" boots. They were highly rated and decided to give them a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back