Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Boots for hunting in snow

J_Poiencot

Whats up guys? I have never hunted in snow, or even been in snow for that matter. I have some 400g Underarmour lace up boots. will these work with proper socks, or do I need to bump up for colder weather and deep snow in late seasons out west?

boots.PNG

What are you hunting and what style?

Generally speaking all you need are boots and gaiters.

I just got done with cow elk hunt in Utah, it was 0 degrees in the morning. I was wearing uninsulated schnee beartooths. My feet were fine.

For super cold hunt where you’re not moving much look at pack boots, for slushy/muddy hunts, say eastern MT and WY I might get insulated muck boots ( I prefer xtratuffs).

What you have will probably work for most hunts with some gaiters.

Im not 100% sure exactly what style hunting. Late season Colorado muley, walking in deep snow, sitting and glassing.

There are so many variables when it comes to "warm feet". Moving versus stationary is HUGE. Also, out here there are vast differences in the types of terrain you may be hunt and the boots need to fit that as well.

There are so many variables when it comes to "warm feet". Moving versus stationary is HUGE. Also, out here there are vast differences in the types of terrain you may be hunt and the boots need to fit that as well.
I understand that. I imagine its going to be a lot of trial and error and cold or sore feet to figure out the proper boot. I have never done any hunting out west to even begin to know what I need.

This is my FIRST comment on HT. And I will start with asking you a question... Do you think it is prudent to risk the success of a hunt in relying on an athletic apparel company to provide the most important piece of your hunting gear? For a late season Colorado hunt.....
For the sake of clarity I will answer my own question. NO.
Please be advised, I learned this lesson the hard way. If you can't walk, you can't hunt.
Disclaimer...I never (and will never) own an Underarmour boot. I will continue to support the companies that build boots to climb mountains because that is where I have hunted for the last 35 years.
Kindest regards, Mike

You should be alright. I'd say get gaiters if the snow is deep. Try to keep your socks dry too. I recommend driving to your hunt in different socks and shoes and then swap when you get there just so you start your hunt with dry feet.

I understand that. I imagine its going to be a lot of trial and error and cold or sore feet to figure out the proper boot. I have never done any hunting out west to even begin to know what I need.
I spent the first couple of years out here hunting in hiking boots and it DID work....buuuut.....I did pay a price in terms of comfort and capability. I upgraded to the Meindl's from Cabela's two years ago and it is a huge difference. If you are going to be hunting the mountains I would vote for spending some cash on boots. These are a few of the brands I would suggest to check out....Kennetrek, Lowa, Schnee's, Zamberland, Crispi, Lathrop's.....

I spent the first couple of years out here hunting in hiking boots and it DID work....buuuut.....I did pay a price in terms of comfort and capability. I upgraded to the Meindl's from Cabela's two years ago and it is a huge difference. If you are going to be hunting the mountains I would vote for spending some cash on boots. These are a few of the brands I would suggest to check out....Kennetrek, Lowa, Schnee's, Zamberland, Crispi, Lathrop's.....
thanks bud, I will look into all of those.

The socks you choose will have a big say in how warm your feet are also. I spent too many years trying to be cheap with socks - it wasn’t worth it.

This is my FIRST comment on HT. And I will start with asking you a question... Do you think it is prudent to risk the success of a hunt in relying on an athletic apparel company to provide the most important piece of your hunting gear? For a late season Colorado hunt.....
For the sake of clarity I will answer my own question. NO.
Please be advised, I learned this lesson the hard way. If you can't walk, you can't hunt.
Disclaimer...I never (and will never) own an Underarmour boot. I will continue to support the companies that build boots to climb mountains because that is where I have hunted for the last 35 years.
Kindest regards, Mike
Most guys aren’t going to backpack hunt 3rd and 4th season... depending on what part of the state your in there may or may not even be snow. Mule deer are unlikely to be up high this time of the year, I bet 90% of folks hunting muley deer those seasons are doing so, 2-4 miles from the truck and hunting the PJ, sage flats, etc.

YMMV but I’ve done 5+ miles in my xtratuffs wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.
My buddy in Bozeman had some UA boots, we did a bunch of elk hunting including a feb Cow elk hunt. No issues.

I love my Schnee’s and definitely worth the money if you’re going to be doing a lot of hunting... but you don’t need to drop the money to enjoy that hunt.

Most guys aren’t going to backpack hunt 3rd and 4th season... depending on what part of the state your in there may or may not even be snow. Mule deer are unlikely to be up high this time of the year, I bet 90% of folks hunting muley deer those seasons are doing so, 2-4 miles from the truck and hunting the PJ, sage flats, etc.

YMMV but I’ve done 5+ miles in my xtratuffs wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.
My buddy in Bozeman had some UA boots, we did a bunch of elk hunting including a feb Cow elk hunt. No issues.

I love my Schnee’s and definitely worth the money if you’re going to be doing a lot of hunting... but you don’t need to drop the money to enjoy that hunt.

Thanks man, i have never been to colorado. So strictly studying maps and tryin to figure it out. I hunted in those UA boots this year on some pretty steep stuff and put alot of miles on then in Africa in August. I like them so far. Just didnt know if they were warm enough. Im gathering that they are.

Thanks man, i have never been to Colorado. So strictly studying maps and tryin to figure it out. I hunted in those UA boots this year on some pretty steep stuff and put alot of miles on then in Africa in August. I like them so far. Just didnt know if they were warm enough. Im gathering that they are.

As others have said warmth is going to be more a product of socks, keeping your feet dry, and then just personal tolerance/preference. You are probably looking at low's of 0-15 in the am and then possibly temps into the 50s during the day. If you are doing long glassing sessions you might get cold, but that can be mitigate by keeping your core warm. These boots are likely far warmer than anything I've hunted in so, from a pure temp standpoint I wouldn't hesitate in using them. If you can hike a lot/have hiked a lot in them without getting blisters... well proof is in the pudding as far as fit.

My buddy kicks my butt every-time we are in the field together... he hunts in arc'teryx trail runners. 🤷‍♂️
So yeah if he can do a heavy pack in chugach choss with running shoes...

When the snow hit, I always went to my 13-inch, Kenetrek Grizzly pacs. Super boots. I put a lot of mountain miles on them, when I was still crawling that kind of country.

Dry socks are way more important than the grams of insulation. If you have too warm of a boot your feet sweat and you're in trouble. Dry socks are accomplished by making sure snow doesn't make its way in through the top of the boot, having a good sock wicking system for any sweat you do have, and waterproofing your boots.

I'm a big fan of Hawthorn's 14" bob sole pac boots. They have one thing Schnee's don't have,which is an ankle stirrup lace that holds your foot back in the boot. I wear them in the wet and the snow. I use gaitors with them sometimes, but they are so tall it is rarely necessary. I wear the gaitors if I'm heading into deep snow where I might posthole.

Just don't get the logging caulks (steel spikes) they are terrible in the snow. Steel spikes, like horseshoes, stick to the snow and it builds up into a big ball under your foot.

Back