Winter Blues

AlaskaHunter

We now winter in Montana, after spending 30 years living near Fairbanks.
Ten day forecast for Fairbanks.
tenday_forecast.png
The cold snaps never bothered me as no wind, low humidity, so fairly comfortable as long as I was moving.
But hard on equipment, especially plastics. All vehicles have plug-in heaters for the oil pan and engine block, some transmission heaters.
I did have a 93 F-150 that would rupture the clutch slave cylinder anytime I drove colder than -35F.

My wife and my hunting partner did not like the length of winter...in 2013 it snowed every weekend in May.
That did not bother me as it extended my cross-country skiing.

What did bother me was the short days of December...3 hrs and 42 minutes on winter solstice.
Running before work on the neighborhood roads was in the dark with a headlamp.
Going to and from work was in the dark.
Even at high noon, the sun barely peaked over the Alaska Range to the south.
Screenshot 2023-03-30 173919.png

By the end of January, the short days are over and there is substantial improvement for the rest of the winter.

When it hits -20 I tend to not get out unless I have to. Vehicles break unexpectedly and bad things can happen. My beautiful wife n me were at our cabin one winter. We planned on spending a week there. I wanted to set a few traps around. And just get some cabin time.
It got down to -25 degrees and stayed there for a week. Had no choice except to stay out there with a pretty lady, my beautiful wife. Was one of the best weeks I've ever been at the cabin. Sure nice that January is on its way out. Been cold cold.
I've been working on our new retirement home and for the first time. Finally have some heat going inside. Fuel oil drip stove. I have the insulation n vapor barrier on the walls and finally got the vapor barrier on the cieling. Hopefully sheetrock n r-70 insulation in the attic soon.
I am hoping to still get out n get a little bit of time trapping in. Would love to get a wolf and some lynx. And go get a supply of chaga for the year. This little cabin is a great place to hang out and get over those winter blues. In a month or so the sun will be out longer and days warmer. Go riding snogos in a tee shirt. And getting through those winter blues.
After 40 plus winters here. I do still enjoy it.

Attachments

• 20210411_111329.jpg
    20210411_111329.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210411_111804.jpg
    20210411_111804.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 28CE6744-C14D-4A7F-9F3A-5CDD5F870B1B (1).jpeg
    28CE6744-C14D-4A7F-9F3A-5CDD5F870B1B (1).jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
  • B85228D3-6989-4DA2-87B3-F5F16B44039F.jpeg
    B85228D3-6989-4DA2-87B3-F5F16B44039F.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 11
At -20 it is prime time to be out in the sunshine splitting firewood.
I love the sound of crack, another birch round split so easily at -20.
Running the chainsaw at -20, I used synthetic motor oil instead of conventional bar oil.
A great time of year to cut up firewood for the next winter.
birchlogs.jpg
-20 feels warm after a week or so in the -40s.

Yeah the northern lights are great. I enjoy getting out and cutting firewood on bright nights like we have been having. With the full moon. Add the northern lights and there is plenty of light for dropping trees n cutting them up. Freight them back to the cabin.
While I was freighting in all the building materials for the cabin. Running under the lights is kinda magical. Putting along on a snogo, cold air around you. But I have good gear and stay nice n comfortable. Stop in the middle of an open area and take a little break. Turn everything off and just lay back watching the lights. Take a little shot of whiskey and enjoy the work.
Those are great pictures hunter

Back