MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Boot Advice

----

My girlfriend was out of town this weekend, and in the process stopped at Cabela's and bought me a new pair of 400 gram Danner Pronghorn GTX's.

They don't quite fit, so one way or the other they're going back, whether it's for a different size or a different boot.
I need a boot that will be good from 20 degrees up, is waterproof, has good ankle support for hauling out game, and that'll be comfortable to walk 12-15 miles a day in. I usually hike pretty flat ridges and trails, but do need to cut across really steep and rocky crap quite a bit.

My question is if you had 180-200 bucks to spend on boots to fit this criteria, what would you go with?
I like the looks and feel of the Danners, but have heard mixed reviews on some of their newer stuff. Sounds like they have awesome customer service though.
The other boots I'm looking at are the Meindl Ibex and Perfekt Hikers.

If any of you guys have experience or opinions on any of these boots, or any other in that price range, I'd love to get some input.
I want to get them swapped out pretty soon, being so close to hunting season, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've had real good luck with both Meindl's and Kenetrek's, with the K-treks being a bit out of the price range you stated. In that price range and the one's your looking at, I'd give the Perfekt's a try. I like them over the Ibex due to the all leather uppers. If you can swing a few bucks more, a co-worker has the Cabela's Meindl's with FIT IQ and they look like a super boot. If you're not too spooked at ordering boots online, backcountry.com, shoebuy,com, and zappos often have good deals on good boots.

I have the Meindls and will never buy another boot. That being said everybody's wheels are different.But quality wise they are built well and hold up. The meindls work right from the start with very little break in time.

From your list, I'd look hardest at the Perfekt's, no doubt. Were I in the market, I'd also look at some footwear from various mountaineering companies.

These Mammut's look interesting to me.

I have friends who really like the La Sportiva Glacier's. Trail Head in Missoula supposedly carries them.

My brother in law has been hunting in Millet Radikal Lite's. They're about the most waterproof boot I've ever seen.

Not that there's anything wrong with the oft mentioned Meindl/Kennetrek/Lowa choices (I love my Alaskan Hunters), but there are a lot of options out there.

Ditto; I've got uninsulated Danner Pronghorns and they work great. Just like a bow or anything else -- try a bunch on (in that price range of yours) -- and then make a decision that suits you best. :D

I have the Meindl Perfekts and they are a good backpacking boot, however they are stiffer than Danners.

If I were going to look for a boot that was more comfortable than Danner Pronghorns, I'd look at Lowa- Seeker, I think. Very tough and very comfortable. I think I paid about $130 for my last pair.......

Good luck with your weighty decision...... : )

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Grady, are these guys the same one you're talking about?

I like the look of that boot a lot. Wasn't even aware Lowa made boots in that price range.

Carl, what's going to be the main advantage to going with more of a mountaineering style boot than a traditional hunting boot? They look like they'd be a lot better on the rough stuff, but how does a stiff boot like that fair for walking on all day on pretty easy terrain? I've always hunted in Merrell's and cheap leather insulated boots like Silvis and Rocky, Would the mountaineering boots take some getting use to?

On the Danners, I really like the lightweight and comfort of these boots, what am I going to be missing out if I do go with them instead of a boot like the Meindl's?

NHY and Elk_Hunter, How have your Danner's held up? Any problems with seems blowing out?

Also, not sure if it matters or not, but I'm somewhere between the size of a hobbit and a lawn gnome, so even with a pack filled with as much meat as I can handle, I'm still going to be under 200 pounds.

Last edited:
Randy, for the conditions you're looking for, I'd steer you away from the pronghorns anyway. The sole's gription are not adequate when hiking on any slope that has a skiff of snow or wet grass. My pronghorns turn into roller skates under those conditions. I have the uninsulated and in dry conditions above 35*, they are great. Wet and steep... not so much.

I bought the Danner Frontiers (IIRC, 600 grams thinsulate) with a good bob sole last year and I like them well enough. However, they seemed to stretch a little and I'll have to use a thicker insole this year to take out some of the new space. I'd definitely look at the Lowa's Grady mentioned or the Perfekt hikers (which I tried on a couple of weeks ago and felt great).

My frontiers actually replaced a pair of Meindls I bought from cabelas 8 or 9 years ago. After one season I think its clear that the Meindls will have lasted much longer than my Frontiers will (with better ankle support/stiffer sole).

Randy, as much as anything I think it gives you more options. The stiffness and support vary widely, some will be a minor step up from regular backpacking boots, some will remind you more of ski boots. The stiff end of the spectrum does take some getting used to, no doubt.

I think you can often find lighter boots with adequate support among the mountaineering options. Also, you can get away from all leather construction if you so desire. Again, I use and love Meindl's, but when I go to replace them, I'll be checking out some other options like I listed here.

You found them, Randy.....except mine are black with 200 gr thinsulate (my feet get cold easily).

For me the Lowas are more comfortable and almost as rugged as the Perfekts and would get the nod until the sidehills get really steep and off trail or the pack gets heavy enough to need the stiff ankle support of the backpacking boots.

You could use either but the terrain you hunt should be more suited to one than another.

If that makes any sense......

Really appreciate the input guys.
Those of you that have Meindl's What model did you guys go with?
I'm looking at the 7" Perfekt Hikers, The Teton II Hiker, and the Ibex.
Pointer says Perfekt hikers over Ibex.
I do like that the Ibex has the 200 gram insulation though, these boots are going to be mainly used in 40 degrees and under.
Are the cork foot beds in the Perfekt's really as nice as they advertise them to be?

Raqndy, I also have the Ibex....very well constructed, good soles, did a good job in the snow the one time I used them in it. Problem, for me, is they run a touch wide for my foot & the Danners medium widths fit me better. Hard for me to get a fit ordering online.

I have the Danner Pronghorns in 1000 gram thinsulate and love them. I beat the tar out of them for 4 seasons, and wore them for a year on construction sites during the winter. They were very comfortable and when I finally wore these ones out I bought another pair.

I did have a seam go out on year 4, but remember I was wearing them climbing around in rafters. I would say that was a pretty good torture test for those things.

My vote is for the Danner Elk Hunters. I tried the Pronghorns but like you, sent them back.

Spent a couple hours trying on almost every high end boot that Cabela's has in stock this afternoon.

Really liked the quality and footbeds of the Meindl's. Could not get them to fit right to save my life though. The only two that were even close were the Denali with fit IQ and the light perfekt hikers, but even those had my heel slipping in them a bit. I've never had a problem with a boot being too wide in the heel, but good lord the Meindl's are.

Brought home a pair of the 400 gram Danner Elk hunter's.
By far the best fitting and most comfortable boot for my feet they had in stock.
I'm a little worried about them being stout enough for a heavy pack in the steep crap though. My plan is to run the snot out of them for the next couple weeks and see how I like them. If they aren't stiff enough I'll take advantage of Cabela's ninety day no question asked return policy, and start the search over again.
Thanks for your input guys.

I have some Zamberlan's on the way. They're supposed to be the "cat's meow". If I get them in a reasonable amount of time, I'll drop another note and let you know what I think.

I had a pair of the Perfekt hikers and liked their fit and feel very much. However they were the squeakiest boot I have ever owned. I tried boot powder, I tried oiling them, I tried wearing it out of them by putting miles on them, nothing got rid of the squeak. Maybe I had a bad pair, or maybe it's my orthotics that screw up their geometry. I am unsure and Cabela's offered to let me try another pair, but I just couldn't. read the reviews on Cabelas.com and you will find quite a few people have the same problem. If I was sure I wouldn't get a squeak out of them, I would buy another pair. But buying and returning boots gets old.

As for seams blowing out -- nope, haven't had that problem...although now that I think about it there was a rumor about that when I bought mine a couple years ago. At any rate, they are great -- last night I inspected very closely while I was treating the leather and re-waterproofing. Holding up quite nice and no nasty wear other than the leather scuffed and rubber on the bottom.

Back