Boots?

No experience with these, serms like a good deal though at midway usa.

Screenshot_20221211-211446_Chrome.jpg

Remember, wearing light hiking boots will not help you if your packing a load.
I think that is debatable. In the military I packed a lot of weight a lot of miles. None of our boots were ever stiff. I didn’t even know that stiff boots existed until I bought a mountain boot. My AZ bull got packed out in a pair of slip on Sketchers. Lol

Wile they were not the best, it was all I could wear from the blisters the stiff boot gave me.

While hunting MT in the steep stuff I was grateful for the stiff boots. In Wyoming they were nice for the snow and face we hunted. For everything else I’ve done I really don’t think they were necessary. I am thinking for the shorter pack outs without steep side hilling that a lighter more flexible sole is the way to go.

I think there is merit for two different pairs.

I think that is debatable. In the military I packed a lot of weight a lot of miles. None of our boots were ever stiff. I didn’t even know that stiff boots existed until I bought a mountain boot. My AZ bull got packed out in a pair of slip on Sketchers. Lol

Wile they were not the best, it was all I could wear from the blisters the stiff boot gave me.

While hunting MT in the steep stuff I was grateful for the stiff boots. In Wyoming they were nice for the snow and face we hunted. For everything else I’ve done I really don’t think they were necessary. I am thinking for the shorter pack outs without steep side hilling that a lighter more flexible sole is the way to go.

Oh... you have ankles still.
I can wear moccasins on a trail or around the house, and roll my ankle. lol

The Caminos are pretty flexible and nothing here has pierced the leather.

If they blistered you, they don’t fit correctly.
They do if I wear the correct socks. I bought it as a system with the sock liners and the heavyweight socks over. I haven’t have an issue with it in the last 4 years.

I have one spot that gets a small blister no mater what after 10-15 miles. It’s a toe that doesn’t bother me. Been dealing with it for 20 years.

The hiking I did in AZ was all lava rock and with the hard soles it twisted my foot almost every step. It caused constant side to side twisting. The stitches in the heel caused two small blisters that only got worse as the days progressed. They were drained and taped up, then mole skin on top and I still got more blisters under that.

Agree.

Tradeoffs to everything, and everyone has their own preferences. I've been looking for a boot replacement for a while, and been trying on and experimenting a bunch. The last couple of seasons I've been using my altra lone peaks, schnees beartooths, and the xtratuf pros.

The lone peaks are great for early season and when your not doing a whole lot of steep side hilling. Pros are super lightweight which at the end of the day you really notice, they also dry out really quick if they get wet downsides are sidehills, scree or loose rock (smashing toes), and because they are waterproof and synthetic they really smell at the end of a trip. Personally I think they did great packing with heavy loads, and because of the flexible soles do a lot better on the trails.

I liked them hunting early fall bear in CO and moose in Alaska.

Beartooths full leather is nice for abrasion, good support, and for me stiff enough without being a suffer fest on the trail. They are heavy and take forever to dry (days on the boot dryer), but are about as waterproof as you can get in a non-rubber boot.

My go to elk hunting/all around boot, have been more than stiff enough for various hunts including sheep in the Chugach and Goats on the Kenai.

Xtratuf pros, I use these for hunting in the snow/swamp or when conditions are going to be wet. The pros unlike the standard xtratuf are plenty ridgid enough to hike in, I've done 8-10 mile days in them no problem. They do suck for steep hiking, and are heavy (though lighter than muck boots or lacrosse)

Personally I have no use for a stiff sole boot beyond conditions where I'm actually mountaineering and actually need "edges" for ice and/or am using crampons.

My 2cents 50% of folks complaining about blisters have woosie feet from going from loafers immediately to elk hunting. 45% are using really stiff boots that are totally unnecessary. 5% are just blister prone which sucks.

Stiff boots cause blisters, period. Yes with a good fit you can avoid them but folks are going to have 10X the issues with blisters in scrapas over vasques.

I've tried la sportiva/scarpas/lowas and they just aren't for me waaay to stiff.

This is a dumb boot for elk hunting, why are you wearing this boot. October elk I'd hunt in New Balance 608s over Scarpa Charmoz.
1670854129815.png

Thank you for coming to my soap box speech.

I’ll stand by my assertion they don’t really fit correctly.

That said, I have two different pairs of boots. Nothing wrong with that, but get ones that fit.

To @wllm ’s point, stiff boots are much less forgiving to feet if they don’t fit correctly.

I’ve hiked thousands of miles in stiff boots, in steep basalt rock. I rarely ever get blisters.

Man, I wish I could do a soft/flexible sole. I really do. I even tried wearing some soft soled hiking boots that I'll wear to work every once in a while bear hunting last spring. Just a mild 2.5 mile hike in with a day pack and rifle had my feet telling me about it. If I'm carrying any kind of load, beyond a cell phone and Ipad while working, I have to stick with stiff soles.

I'm a little jealous that you can wear them. There just isn't much out there for lightweight yet stiff soled boots.

Man, I wish I could do a soft/flexible sole. I really do. I even tried wearing some soft soled hiking boots that I'll wear to work every once in a while bear hunting last spring. Just a mild 2.5 mile hike in with a day pack and rifle had my feet telling me about it. If I'm carrying any kind of load, beyond a cell phone and Ipad while working, I have to stick with stiff soles.

I'm a little jealous that you can wear them. There just isn't much out there for lightweight yet stiff soled boots.
I think there is a fine line. My feet are sore at the end of the day when wearing combat boots. I even switched over to a Nike boot once. I only wore those for 6 months, they were just too soft.

I liked those Nevadas, the back seemed stiffer like the Kenetreks but the toe flexed. I am just having a hard time with the price point on them. I am going to try and find those Lowas Hank mentioned and see how they fit.

To the extreme lol

2022 Caribou

1670857001728.png
2021 Goat
1670857008176.png

2022 Dall Sheep
1670857330881.png

1670857441976.png

I love boot threads! Going on 30 years of being a Forester/Resource Manager, I've bought so many pairs of boots over the years. I've had boots feel great out of the box but once broken in, not so much. Other boots, not that great out of the box, but broken in and were awesome. There's so many things that can change a boot fit. One pair of socks might fit great with one boot, not so good with others. One insole might be great with one boot, but completely change the way another one fits. Lacing them up differently, changes the fit too

25 years years ago, it seems I could get by with most any boot. But now as I'm older, if the fit isn't good and my feet hurt, well then my knees, hips and back hurt too. I've tried most of the name brand boots and there's difference in fit between boots within the same company. My favorite pair of non-insulated hunting boots is the Meindl Vakuum. So I bought a pair of the Meindl Comfort fit Hikers. Not even remotely close to being as comfortable. I've just realized I just have to be willing to shell out the money to try something that may not work. Oh well, it's just part of the game.

Edit: Should have mentioned this. A consequence of trying to make a boot work is I developed a Morton's Neuroma on my right foot. It sucks and I've had to go to a wide width boot, an insole with a metatarsal pad, and thicker socks. In the summer on easier ground, I wear the Crispi Thor's, regular width with Lathrop and Sons Synergy insole and very light sock. Colder weather, it's Hoffman's pac boots with an extra felt insole.

Last edited:
Ok, it’s time for new boots. I have a pair of Kenetreks Mountain Extremes. They are still in good shape and work really well for side hilling. I will keep them for late season snow type hunts.

However, As I age and my hunts take me more out of the steep stuff I find they are not the best. I feel like they are too stiff and walking flatter stuff feels like it’s more of a Frankenstein stomp than a hike.

In AZ recently that along with lava rock caused my feet to get really chewed up. I wished I had my old lighter combat boots with flex.

I ordered a pair of Corrie’s from Kenetrek and they are a darn nice boot. Unfortunately, my ankle bone meets up where the tongue webbing folds and the lace buckle puts too much pressure on it. I don’t see anyway to stop that pressure so they are getting returned.

Here are the must haves:
Waterproof with a sealer
Flex
Softer soles
Cactus resistant sides, prefer leather
A tongue that doesn’t have excessive material seam at ankle height.

Schnee’s divide mid is on my short list. Any advice?
Take a look at the Lowa Renegades, extremely comfortable, no break-in period in my experience, light-weight, decently water proof. I will be buying another pair if these ever wear out. Decent price especially compared to Crispi and I found them way more comfortable

I ruptured my achilles tendon almost 4 yrs ago now and it still needs a lot of maintenance to keep mobility adequate. I get way more heel lift on that foot now and it requires a lot of adjustment and different lacing methods. Currently using 8" Hoffman Explorers when I have any off trail hiking/exploring so pretty much all hunting and scouting. Might try the Hoffman summits once I need something new.

If I am on established trails with heavy day pack, backpacking, or trail running I am good with Altra lone peaks even if there is a lot of elevation + weight.

I think there is a fine line. My feet are sore at the end of the day when wearing combat boots. I even switched over to a Nike boot once. I only wore those for 6 months, they were just too soft.

I liked those Nevadas, the back seemed stiffer like the Kenetreks but the toe flexed. I am just having a hard time with the price point on them. I am going to try and find those Lowas Hank mentioned and see how they fit.
Lowas makes dozens of models in the lighter range too,just look under hunting boots.
I went to REI and tried on boots one afternoon for 3 hrs, all brands. Done the same quickly at Spurtsmen..Kenetreks etc..

Caminos and Renagade where what I decided to look for and found the Caminos on Ebay for $140,NIB.
Wore them almost everyday as my main boot for 2 years, then sent them to Lowa for resole/rebuild.

I got a pair of Tibets from REI on sale and they sent them to me while the Caminos were being done. I know my size in Lowa boots now.
Now I have the Caminos for daily wear and feel like tennis shoes now, the Tibets for exploring/work/hunting and Tibet Superwarms I have had 6 years for cold weather.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back