MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bolt-Gun Build

That's not been my experience but I'm sure the number of orders you've placed vastly outnumber the few I've placed.

I bought one of their SS Rem 700 trigger guards and had to return it because the slot in the floorplate was too narrow for the magazine follower spring to slide into.

Last edited:
It's a combination of things. I've been interested in the .280 rem for a while, but those silly things can be hard to find. There seem to be a lot of 22" sporters around, Remington Mountain rifles, Win mod 70s, x-bolts, but I want one with a 24" or 26", just for the extra velocity. My wife and I both have .270s, her's a LH 700 and mine T3X. I handload for both, they're both accurate, but her extra barrel length always results in 70-100 more fps. Not a big deal, but still... And don't get me wrong, I really like what that Tikka will do.

So a while back, I also had an opportunity to buy a used X-Bolt in .280 Rem that had a 26" barrel. Nice, unique rifle, and the price was only $500. I dithered around too long and missed out. So I'm still kicking myself over that, yeah it was dumb not to have grabbed that. Anyway, always had a casual interest in doing my own build but didn't really know what I'd want to do, so that's when I got to looking at costs and parts that are available, and comparing that to .280's I can find with longer barrels, and started thinking, hey why not?

In a nutshell, that's the personal journey that has led me to posting this thread. 👍

Are you a portsider also?

Nope. I'm a righty. If I were it probably use my woman's rifle some. She's actually right-handed too, but severely left-eye dominant. She shoots a lot better left handed.

It seems that truing the action is important. I'm playing the long game here, but don't want to incur unnecessary expenses or take more time than necessary - so, would it be preferable to just get an action that is already trued or to get the action and have a gunsmith do the truing. I don't know many gunsmiths, maybe one, she knows what she's doing but she's ancient, in poor health, and only has one eye. Not kidding. I understand she does very good work but takes forever.

So in terms of extra cost and time, which do you think is preferable?

truing an action is probably around $200-250 (I haven't bothered to look lately). Northland has blue trued 700 actions for $460 and stainless for $490. If you shop around you may be able to beat this price.

I know some smiths may offer a better price for truing if you have them spin on a barrel.

truing an action is probably around $200-250 (I haven't bothered to look lately). Northland has blue trued 700 actions for $460 and stainless for $490. If you shop around you may be able to beat this price.

I know some smiths may offer a better price for truing if you have them spin on a barrel.
I was looking at Northland Shooting Supply last night. They do seem to fairly cost effective.

If funds allow, I'd opt for a custom action.

One "easy" button would be to buy a Tikka 7-08. Long action bolt stop, long magazine would cost about $100. Rechambering could be had for well under $200.

I had my gunsmith thread and break a barrel for me and he offered to true the action since the barrel was going to be off already. So long story short. Threaded barrel, custom break and tried action he charged $225 out the door. First time doing business so those were his normal rates.

I had my gunsmith thread and break a barrel for me and he offered to true the action since the barrel was going to be off already. So long story short. Threaded barrel, custom break and tried action he charged $225 out the door. First time doing business so those were his normal rates.

Don’t take this the wrong way. Just a matter of opinion. If your rifle shoots and your happy with it is all that matters in the end.

That seems pretty cheap. This is where “truing an action” becomes somewhat of a convoluted matter of opinion. Many gunsmiths have different procedures and different steps they consider truing. Also wonder why he had to remove the barrel to thread it for a brake. Might be his preferred way of doing it though and easier to dial in.

Don’t take this the wrong way. Just a matter of opinion. If your rifle shoots and your happy with it is all that matters in the end.

That seems pretty cheap. This is where “truing an action” becomes somewhat of a convoluted matter of opinion. Many gunsmiths have different procedures and different steps they consider truing. Also wonder why he had to remove the barrel to thread it for a brake. Might be his preferred way of doing it though and easier to dial in.
Some gunsmith's will dial the barrel in off of both ends of the barrel to ensure the threads and shoulder are square and concentric to the bore. And if they're already setup for action truing it doesn't take all that long to square one up.

Some gunsmith's will dial the barrel in off of both ends of the barrel to ensure the threads and shoulder are square and concentric to the bore. And if they're already setup for action truing it doesn't take all that long to square one up.

I agree completely and that’s a great way to setup a barrel. Curious if this was a factory barrel or aftermarket?
Was more just an observation of what many considered “trued action”.
Sorry to the OP for side tracking the thread.

I didn’t realize how cheap I got off till I read this forum. This gunsmith comes well referred and has a great reputation around here. He lived up to his reputation. He’s old school and this is his retirement gig.D0078BE5-5BFB-4FC5-9D9F-8198B12D5CBD.jpeg
Can’t really show his truing work but he’s good. He’s gonna be doing the machine work on my next build.

But to get back on track. Go to Walmart and purchase a new never fired 700 adl for 389.00. Shoot it and tweak it as time goes. You’ll build off of a fully functional rifle and won’t be pieces till it’s finished.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back