Bolt-Gun Build

I’ve never had a rifle I’d consider putting a brake on, but I’ve never seen one that looks that good installed either!

There are a lot of different levels of what people think “truing” is. Just like there are a lot of different levels of “blending” a brake.

This is how I like to see a threaded on brake blended.

View attachment 127635
You do nice work. Looks great. Had I wanted that kind of quality he would have done it but then the $$$ add up. I asked for a nice functional break. That’s what I got and for an agreeable price. My next build I’ll have him match steel and “blend” it flush as you have there on a heavier contour.

You can blend them even on lighter contours also. I’m a big fan of the side discharge brakes. Radial brakes blow way to much dust and debris for my taste.
088D2AF5-16AC-4D9D-9FFA-7EB5F8B59D44.jpeg

Could probably pass on a brake for a 24" barreled 280. I'd be interested in a 20" barreled 280 suppressed however.

You do nice work. Looks great. Had I wanted that kind of quality he would have done it but then the $$$ add up. I asked for a nice functional break. That’s what I got and for an agreeable price. My next build I’ll have him match steel and “blend” it flush as you have there on a heavier contour.

The barrel dia was just .710

The brake is purchased or made .03 over barrel dia then blended as needed.

Port design has more to do with recoil reduction than brake size does.

Last edited:
But to get back on track. Go to Walmart and purchase a new never fired 700 adl for 389.00. Shoot it and tweak it as time goes. You’ll build off of a fully functional rifle and won’t be pieces till it’s finished.
I'm considering this as a possible route, but I have a couple of dumb questions - if I were to do this I was thinking about buying a 700 SPS stainless. I want to use all stainless steel and I don't like the blind mag of an ADL. So, could the basic action of an ADL be used in a build that has a hinged floor plate or detachable magazine? Also, is it realistic to think I might be able to sell off the factory barrel and trigger assembly from an ADL? or a stainless SPS, for that matter?

I'm considering this as a possible route, but I have a couple of dumb questions - if I were to do this I was thinking about buying a 700 SPS stainless. I want to use all stainless steel and I don't like the blind mag of an ADL. So, could the basic action of an ADL be used in a build that has a hinged floor plate or detachable magazine? Also, is it realistic to think I might be able to sell off the factory barrel and trigger assembly from an ADL? or a stainless SPS, for that matter?
An adl can be converted to bdl. You’d have about as much into shipping the factory trigger and barrel for what you’d make off them

Factory triggers go for $10-20

Factory barrels go in the scrap bin

I got $100 for my factory barrel off of my ADL. However, I would buy the SPS stainless to start with.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Remington doesn't lavish the same care on a WalMart ADL action that it does on others. One should be able to get at least $50 for a new unfired Remington barrel, unless one thinks it's not worth the bother.

A stainless SPS is a very good way to start. You will have a nice working rifle that you can gradually replace the trigger and restock, and further down the road true the action and replace the barrel. I think that would be a smart plan for someone that wants to do this over time.

Little or no machining required.

You were saying you wanted to be able to screw it together.

Remember. It’s a bomb literally inches in front of your face. If you have doubts in your abilities find someone qualified to help. There are lots of smiths out there.
Some of the custom 700 action tolerances are so close that barrel makers can do a pre-fit without the need to send in the action and barrel to a gun smith. Most barrel makers will deep chamber and crown, thread whatever. Just need a go-no go or a piece of tape. I ain't a gonna fire a rifle unless I check the headspace myself!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back