Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bolt-Gun Build

Brian in Montana

Yep. I've kinda gotten interested. I don't believe I would be comfortable doing my own chambering and crowning of a barrel, but maybe buying the components I like a little at a time and screwing them all together. I'm really looking at either a .280 Remington or AI.

The obvious place to start is with a Remington 700 receiver. Long action. I've really just started researching how to do this and what's available, but I could use any advice if anyone has done this before. This will be a fairly long-term endevour.

If you are looking to do a “drop in” type build it’s possible with the various barrel nut systems out there.

The nut systems will atleast tie factory gun accuracy. The quality of the barrel will be the biggest factor....spend your money there.

Yep. I've kinda gotten interested. I don't believe I would be comfortable doing my own chambering and crowning of a barrel, but maybe buying the components I like a little at a time and screwing them all together. I'm really looking at either a .280 Remington or AI.

The obvious place to start is with a Remington 700 receiver. Long action. I've really just started researching how to do this and what's available, but I could use any advice if anyone has done this before. This will be a fairly long-term endevour.

The easiest one to build yourself would probably be a Savage.

But, no matter what route you go, the .280 Rem or .280 AI is never wrong.

You can buy trued actions for Northland Shooter Supply though my personal preference is to spend a few hundred more on a Bighorn (Zermatt Arms) Origin, Defiance Tenacity, Kelbly Atlas. These actions are guaranteed .001" consistency and you can order prefit barrels without the need for barrel nuts.

I have done a fair few using a 700 action. It is probably worth the time and expense to buy a trued action, or have your action trued, before you start the process. I do most of the truing work myself and use a good machinist for any lathe work. You will have a bit of cash tied up in this type of build but you should end up with a special rifle.

I never change the extractor. An aftermarket trigger is worthwhile. Most of your cost will be the barrel and stock. Choosing a good barrel maker is easy, but choosing which type of stock can be difficult.

Is there a certain niche that you're trying to fit the rifle into or just wanting to put something together yourself?

I have done a fair few using a 700 action. It is probably worth the time and expense to buy a trued action, or have your action trued, before you start the process. I do most of the truing work myself and use a good machinist for any lathe work. You will have a bit of cash tied up in this type of build but you should end up with a special rifle.
I figure I will probably go with a trued action. Grinding away at rifle steel is probably not something I'm very comfortable with, nor do I have the tools to do it correctly. I think if this goes well, I may dive further down the rabbit hole and start looking for some dedicated gunsmithing tools.

For the trigger I'll probably go with a Timney. I actually think the X-Mark that comes with Remington factory rifles is better than most give it credit for, but if I'm picking my own parts, I plan to do better than factory.

If you are looking to do a “drop in” type build it’s possible with the various barrel nut systems out there.

The nut systems will atleast tie factory gun accuracy. The quality of the barrel will be the biggest factor....spend your money there.
Here's how green I am - what exactly do you mean with a "drop in" type build.

Little or no machining required.

You were saying you wanted to be able to screw it together.

Remember. It’s a bomb literally inches in front of your face. If you have doubts in your abilities find someone qualified to help. There are lots of smiths out there.

Little or no machining required.
Yep, this is very much the direction I'm leaning. I know it will be more expensive, but I'll keep the long view, take my time and squirrel away the money for each component and be choosey.

And what you said about the barrel being the place to spend $, I certainly believe that.

I figure I will probably go with a trued action. Grinding away at rifle steel is probably not something I'm very comfortable with, nor do I have the tools to do it correctly. I think if this goes well, I may dive further down the rabbit hole and start looking for some dedicated gunsmithing tools.

For the trigger I'll probably go with a Timney. I actually think the X-Mark that comes with Remington factory rifles is better than most give it credit for, but if I'm picking my own parts, I plan to do better than factory.

Since you're paying for it you can send the factory trigger to Neil Jones and for $75 he will disassemble it, clean it and smooth up any burred parts and adjust it to whatever pull weight you want and most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a fancy aftermarket, tho I do have a few of the Jewell triggers.

Bighorn actions have prefit barrels. Tolerances are so tight you thread them on and go shooting. They are great for switch barrel set ups. Just need a barrel vice.

The most popular type, is the Savage-style barrel nut system. These can be screwed on and set correctly, without any lathe work. I have several of them and every one of them is a 1/2 moa shooter (probably better, for someone with better eyes and more attention to loading details). Mine are Criterion barrels from Northland Shooters Supplies, but there are some others now, I think. I have them on both Remington and Savage actions. Easy, nice barrels that really shoot.

On a action where it’s going to get used heavily in the field....I don’t know that I would want the tightest action in the world. Trued yes, absolutely no play in the bolt when it’s unlocked no.

Things happen...such as dirt, snow melting into the raceway (doesn’t take much), and so on.

In a competition build where every ounce of accuracy and consistency is needed I see a point in a custom action. For actual field use...I don’t.

I find that a properly trued action exceeds the expectations of 99% of shooters in the accuracy department.

That last 1% is looking to set records on group size.

On a action where it’s going to get used heavily in the field....I don’t know that I would want the tightest action in the world. Trued yes, absolutely no play in the bolt when it’s unlocked no.

Things happen...such as dirt, snow melting into the raceway (doesn’t take much), and so on.

In a competition build where every ounce of accuracy and consistency is needed I see a point in a custom action. For actual field use...I don’t.

I find that a properly trued action exceeds the expectations of 99% of shooters in the accuracy department.

That last 1% is looking to set records on group size.
Absolutely correct. I do not own a trued action. Most were well-broken-in actions, when the re-barrel happened. A trued, tight-tolerance action would not improve my ability to shoot, for the purpose I use the rifles for-hunting. A match shooter will have a whole different conversation about how far down the rabbit hole, they want to go.

You might look into the Bomber actions by Pacific Tool and Gauge. By the time you paid for a used action and had it trued, you'd be into it for about the same as their custom action. And you get a lot more features than you would with a stock trued action, fluted bolt, M16 extractor, threaded bolt handle.

You might look into the Bomber actions by Pacific Tool and Gauge. By the time you paid for a used action and had it trued, you'd be into it for about the same as their custom action. And you get a lot more features than you would with a stock trued action, fluted bolt, M16 extractor, threaded bolt handle.

After consistent issues ordering from PTG I avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: FLS
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back