Bolt-Gun Build

Is there a certain niche that you're trying to fit the rifle into or just wanting to put something together yourself?
It's a combination of things. I've been interested in the .280 rem for a while, but those silly things can be hard to find. There seem to be a lot of 22" sporters around, Remington Mountain rifles, Win mod 70s, x-bolts, but I want one with a 24" or 26", just for the extra velocity. My wife and I both have .270s, her's a LH 700 and mine T3X. I handload for both, they're both accurate, but her extra barrel length always results in 70-100 more fps. Not a big deal, but still... And don't get me wrong, I really like what that Tikka will do.

So a while back, I also had an opportunity to buy a used X-Bolt in .280 Rem that had a 26" barrel. Nice, unique rifle, and the price was only $500. I dithered around too long and missed out. So I'm still kicking myself over that, yeah it was dumb not to have grabbed that. Anyway, always had a casual interest in doing my own build but didn't really know what I'd want to do, so that's when I got to looking at costs and parts that are available, and comparing that to .280's I can find with longer barrels, and started thinking, hey why not?

In a nutshell, that's the personal journey that has led me to posting this thread. 👍

It's a combination of things. I've been interested in the .280 rem for a while, but those silly things can be hard to find. There seem to be a lot of 22" sporters around, Remington Mountain rifles, Win mod 70s, x-bolts, but I want one with a 24" or 26", just for the extra velocity. My wife and I both have .270s, her's a LH 700 and mine T3X. I handload for both, they're both accurate, but her extra barrel length always results in 70-100 more fps. Not a big deal, but still... And don't get me wrong, I really like what that Tikka will do.

So a while back, I also had an opportunity to buy a used X-Bolt in .280 Rem that had a 26" barrel. Nice, unique rifle, and the price was only $500. I dithered around too long and missed out. So I'm still kicking myself over that, yeah it was dumb not to have grabbed that. Anyway, always had a casual interest in doing my own build but didn't really know what I'd want to do, so that's when I got to looking at costs and parts that are available, and comparing that to .280's I can find with longer barrels, and started thinking, hey why not?

In a nutshell, that's the personal journey that has led me to posting this thread. 👍

Heck, yeah. Good luck with your build. I'd buy a stainless long action M700. Since velocity is a big deal(it is for me too), then I would go the AI route. I've bought about 5 Remington rifles(M700s and Model Sevens) over the last few years and have never had any of their actions "trued" or needed a different extractor. All of them have been very accurate.

I have a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM(close to a ballistic twin to the 280AI) and get 2960fps with 160 grain Partitions out of my factory 22" barrel. So, you should be able to squeeze out some more velocity with your longer barrel.

Keep us posted.

It has been my experience that the current factory 700 actions take less work to true them than the older actions. They are pretty good without extra machining, but of course the bolt lugs can always use a bit of lapping. I true them out of habit but for a hunting rifle it is not really a necessary step.

If you don't already have a Rem 700 donor action, I wouldn't waste my money buying a action and then having it trued, I would buy a custom action, you will be a little more out of pocket, but if you decide to rebuild, the gun's value will be worth more then with the trued factory action. If your going to go 280, go 280 AI. Choose a good trigger, this is where you will help accuracy. For barrel, there isn't really a bad aftermarket one out their, lilja and krieger will have over run sales so check them out to save some cash.

This summer I worked up a build list for a custom 280AI. But seemed like every part had a wait list. I was too busy to track down all the various components over a 6 month period and then wait 4 months for a gunsmith to barrel the action. So I bought a Begara Premier Highlander in 280AI. I am sure I will come back to this project another day (but likely in a light weight 6.5-284 rather than a mid-weight 280AI). But in case you might find my list helpful:

Action: Defiant Tenacity
Action Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Chambering: 280AI
Barrel Length: 24"
Barrel Maker: Bartlein
Barrel Contour: #4 Bull Sporter (0.750” diameter at muzzle)
Barrel Twist: 1:8.5
Barrel Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Muzzle: 11 degree crown, 5/8" threading + knurled thread cover
Stock: McMillan Game Scout
Magazine type: BDL
Trigger: TriggerTech Special, no bolt release, curved trigger
BDL Metal Manufacturer: PTG (satin stainless)

Last edited:
Brian
In today’s market there are so many options and honestly a lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend on the project and also how much you care about Aesthetics also. I personally don’t like the barrel nut look at all. There are some actions/prefit barrels that headspace correctly without the nut also.
I would first determine your budget for the complete build. Action,barrel,stock, bottom metal, finish- Cerakote or whatever you like. A Rem 700 action with a quality recoil lug and the action face cleaned up will be pretty good for most. More important than the action IMO is the proper setup of the barrel and chamber job. Most quality aftermarket barrels are all very good. Setting it up properly and chambering concentric to the bore is most important.
Nothing wrong with a 280 or 280AI. Twist it for whatever the heaviest bullet you want to shoot is and go enjoy.

I second the motion in going with an action that allows a prefit barrel that doesn't require a go/no-go guage. Savage used to be the easiest/cheapest, but I'm not sure that's the case. To save on having to buy tools, an action with an integral or pinned lug might make it easier as well.

With the 280AI, I'd also pay attention to mag length in case you are wanting to shoot some of the uber long .284" bullets on the market.

Like you I wanted a 280 Remington with a 24" barrel. I ended up finding a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter with a nice walnut stock in 270 Winchester. I used that as my donor rifle. Here's what I did.

280 AI In the end decided to go with it versus the 280 Remington. Both are great but I just thought it might be fun with the 280 AI.
Shilen match grade stainless barrel, 1-9 twist, 24" long. Action & barrel treated to John Norrel Arms Moly resin in a matt black tone that matches the color of a Leupold scope.
Bolt face and action face squared, trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds. Action pillar and glass bedded in the walnut stock. Yes I like wood.
Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle.

Look forward to seeing what you decide on.

This summer I worked up a build list for a custom 280AI. But seemed like every part had a wait list. I was too busy to track down all the various components over a 6 month period and then wait 4 months for a gunsmith to barrel the action. So I bought a Begara Premier Highlander in 280AI. I am sure I will come back to this project another day (but likely in a light weight 6.5-284 rather than a mid-weight 280AI). But in case you might find my list helpful:

Action: Defiant Tenacity
Action Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Chambering: 280AI
Barrel Length: 24"
Barrel Maker: Bartlein
Barrel Contour: #4 Bull Sporter (0.750” diameter at muzzle)
Barrel Twist: 1:8.5
Barrel Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Muzzle: 11 degree crown, 5/8" threading + knurled thread cover
Stock: McMillan Game Scout
Magazine type: BDL
Trigger: TriggerTech Special, no bolt release, curved trigger
BDL Metal Manufacturer: PTG (satin stainless)

Another option for bottom metal.

Sunny Hill

Not on your list, but you might want to consider a stainless Picatinny rail from Murphy Precicision. $125 is kinda spendy tho.

Murphy Precision

Last edited:
If wanting to do it yourself I’d cruise the classifieds for a cheap donor. Seen one tonight for $270 for a long action. Order a remage barrel $325, your go and no go gauges $50, barrel nut wrench $50, action wrench $75, adl parts $75, bell and Carlson adl $285. $1185. Add another $120 for a Timney. Or if in no hurry can watch classifieds for all these parts at cheaper prices. Or wait until your birthday and midway gives a 10% birthday discount

Could also grab a used tikka $550, gauges and wrenches $175, prethreaded barrel set up for barrel nut $325. Just run the factory tikka stock and trigger for $1050

I was browsing several sites that offer remage barrels for pretty reasonable prices. I'm not sure I'm clear on what a go and no go gauge is, but it gets mentioned a lot in this context.

I was browsing several sites that offer remage barrels for pretty reasonable prices. I'm not sure I'm clear on what a go and no go gauge is, but it gets mentioned a lot in this context.

Headspace gauges.

In a nut shell....special gauges that make sure you set headspace within specification.

On the nut barrels.....helps you set how far you screw in the barrel.

Some people like to use casings or ammo to do this....that’s not the right way since ammo may not be in spec.

The remage barrels sure look intriguing for a novice like me. Definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for - something I can do in my basement with a few extra tools. They seem to have good reviews for accuracy.

I just googled, what are go and no go gauges. Makes more sense now.

Check out the YouTuber “The Social Regressive” for how to use a barrel nut systems and go/no go gauges. His example is a Savage, but is generally true of others.

Last edited:
Now you've gone and done it - but at the same time enjoy the experience! I've done the barrel nut route and I don't mind the look of the rifle, but I've decided from now on I'm going with the actions that I can get pre-fit barrels for and just screw them on. I've used Timney triggers and like them. My last build used a TriggerTech trigger and I really like that trigger, a lot.

I put two budget rifles together on Savage actions. I don’t think I went as in-depth as you went with the .280AI and the .338-06 that I assembled but it is an easy enough process. Worth trying it for sure!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back