Bolt-Gun Build

If wanting to do it yourself I’d cruise the classifieds for a cheap donor. Seen one tonight for $270 for a long action. Order a remage barrel $325, your go and no go gauges $50, barrel nut wrench $50, action wrench $75, adl parts $75, bell and Carlson adl $285. $1185. Add another $120 for a Timney. Or if in no hurry can watch classifieds for all these parts at cheaper prices. Or wait until your birthday and midway gives a 10% birthday discount

Could also grab a used tikka $550, gauges and wrenches $175, prethreaded barrel set up for barrel nut $325. Just run the factory tikka stock and trigger for $1050
Most of the tools for this are pretty straight forward, but I'm not clear on the nut wrench I'd need. Found one on Midway for a Savage 10 or 110 barrel nut. I assume that would work on a Rem/Age. What nut wrench should I get?

Here's the wrench I was looking at:

Most of the tools for this are pretty straight forward, but I'm not clear on the nut wrench I'd need. Found one on Midway for a Savage 10 or 110 barrel nut. I assume that would work on a Rem/Age. What nut wrench should I get?

Here's the wrench I was looking at:

Once you pick the barrel you’ll have to pick the wrench that fits it.

The barrel maker will be able to help you with that.

Stock: I'm kicking around the idea of just getting an old wood stock for a BDL and doing the pillar and glass bedding myself. However, stock, tools, and materials would probably wind up costing about as much and end with a finished product a little heavier than a B&C I could just order off Midway USA. What do y'all think?

Stock: I'm kicking around the idea of just getting an old wood stock for a BDL and doing the pillar and glass bedding myself. However, stock, tools, and materials would probably wind up costing about as much and end with a finished product a little heavier than a B&C I could just order off Midway USA. What do y'all think?

May want to look at Boyd’s gunstocks. Easy DIY

Go with the b&c

I’m currently looking at a factory bdl stock for the 260 I picked up, will also be bedding. That gets my vote

Why would you go through the effort of polishing up a factory wood stock unless you just like the look? Pick up a bell and Carlson at a minimum.

For this whole project I would just spend the money to do it right the first time. If it were me, I would sell a rifle that doesn’t have any real sentimental value to fund the higher end parts. Buy a custom action and a quality prefit (shouldered or barrel nut). Dump it in a nice stock and be done with. You’ll be happy with the end product

Why would you go through the effort of polishing up a factory wood stock unless you just like the look?
Just because it's interesting and I've never done it before. I've been planning to do this for a 700 SPS I have, I was thinking of just combining the projects on this one. However am a pragmatist at heart, and I will probably go with a B&C for the build. You're probably right about making sure this is done right. At some point I'll pick up an old BDL stock and work it over for the other one. Too many projects, not enough time or $.

But to get back on track. Go to Walmart and purchase a new never fired 700 adl for 389.00. Shoot it and tweak it as time goes. You’ll build off of a fully functional rifle and won’t be pieces till it’s finished.

That’s a high price! Here in MI that same rifle with a elcheapo scope is $297. It’s almost too cheap to pass up.

Now that you mention it, no RUMS were made in ADL that I remember. The SPS was a bargain priced rifle but still had the hinged floorplate. mtmuley

That’s a high price! Here in MI that same rifle with a elcheapo scope is $297. It’s almost too cheap to pass up.

Does anyone believe that that $297 gun is going to have the same quality action that sells as a standalone item for more than the gun?

Does anyone believe that that $297 gun is going to have the same quality action that sells as a standalone item for more than the gun?

It’s the same carbon steel action as you would stand alone. MSRP is higher, but that is Walmart’s selling price. You can get it in SA or LA standard bolt face.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back