Bolt Action Rimfire

Hertervillian

I’ve been thinking I should get a solid .22 rifle. Been getting by with a semi auto Marlin for quite a while, it’s an okay plinke, w/ lousy sights and a receiver dove tail that won’t hold a scope in place for love nor money.

I lean towards one of the CZ Trainer types, or the Tikka. My experience with Tikka CF rifles gives them a small lead. A bit of small game use and plenty of range / new shooter work.

Experiences? Other choices I should consider?

What do you primarily hunt with? A .22 in that package might be good to be able to shoot more with cheaper ammo.

I am looking into a Tikka .22 since I got a new one in 7mag.

What do you primarily hunt with? A .22 in that package might be good to be able to shoot more with cheaper ammo.

I am looking into a Tikka .22 since I got a new one in 7mag.
Tikka in 300win mag. It looks like the safety is similar, only rifle I’ve had in hand is a thick carbine affair. Not that I have anything against short and thick, but the 300 is a lite model.

Savage rimfires are awesome. I have a 93R17 and have no complaints.
I have heard nothing but good things on the CZs and Tikkas. I hunt with a Tikka 270

I have 2 Tikka T1xs and they are great rifles. Feel like an full size gun and shoot absolute lights out. I added billet bottom metal from Mountain Tactical and hathem cut and threaded to 16” (the 16s weren’t available at the time) for suppressor use.

I’ve also had the Ruger American and really like them, using 10/22 magazines is a great feature, both of them shot perfect as well. The modular stock is a great feature, you can r

On the more expensive and oddball side I have a TacSol Owyhee and really enjoy it too. It’s unbelievably light, compact because it takes down like a 10/22 takedown, fun to shoot, and very accurate.

The new offerings from Christensen and Bergara both look amazing, I’ve heard very good things about them.

I have Savage, Marlin and Cz as well as a model 52 Winchester bolt. I would hands down recommend the Cz only because you can't buy a new Winchester. The CZ is in another class of rimfires. My friend has an Anschutz and he likes my Cz better not that it's a better rifle but it's as good for less way less cabbage..

The Savage and Marlin are very accurate with certain brands of ammo. My Cz isn't nearly as picky.. Plus it does shoot better with the good ammo than either the Savage or Marlin..

I have Savage, Marlin and Cz as well as a model 52 Winchester bolt. I would hands down recommend the Cz only because you can't buy a new Winchester. The CZ is in another class of rimfires. My friend has an Anschutz and he likes my Cz better not that it's a better rifle but it's as good for less way less cabbage..

The Savage and Marlin are very accurate with certain brands of ammo. My Cz isn't nearly as picky.. Plus it does shoot better with the good ammo than either the Savage or Marlin..
I’ve heard much the same about the CZ. It was my choice till I thought about the Tikka and perhaps commonality between it and it’s bigger brother.

I wouldn't rule out the Zastava rifles as a cheaper option. Mine is scary accurate, full sized and pretty nicely put together. The stock finish was lame, but we fixed that with a refinish and the trigger is a little sloppy, but also able to be tweaked. They've been sold under the name of Zastava, but also as Charles Daley and as the Remington model 5. Good rifles for the money.

Quoting my own post. Lol I also would like to inform you that the Savage bolt actions are known for ejection issues. Just thought I'd add that little nugget. I had to get an upgraded ejector and spring so mine would eject shells consistently..

I had a Zastava. Not a bad rifle for the money.

CZ hands dow, any day, period. I’ve had a BRNO model 4(basically an earlier CZ 452) a CZ 452 Lux, and a CZ 452 Varmint. They are very difficult to beat.

A couple years ago I walked into pawn shop and bought a Beehive model 511 Remington with original peep sights for $125.

They are a bargain at 2x that money. Amazingly accuarate. There are tons of them on Gun Broker

A couple years ago I walked into pawn shop and bought a Beehive model 511 Remington with original peep sights for $125.

They are a bargain at 2x that money. Amazingly accuarate. There are tons of them on Gun Broker
Thought you hated Remington? mtmuley

Thought you hated Remington? mtmuley

I like so many old Remingtons. Just adored all thier pumps,,,.22's and centrefire. That 788 is an uncrowned jewell of a rifle.

What bothers me,,,and you must be aware of the whole safety issue with model 700's and the short and long action 722 and 721. Just do a bit of research on that,,,so easy to find info. I had one that accidental discharged.

Also I wore out two extracactors on a 700 in 35 Whelen I shot a lot with light loads with pistol bullets.

Also had a trigger on a model 7 fail. It was not solid forged steel just a hard plating on a cheap cast trigger. I wore through the plating.

I like so many old Remingtons. Just adored all thier pumps,,,.22's and centrefire. That 788 is an uncrowned jewell of a rifle.

What bothers me,,,and you must be aware of the whole safety issue with model 700's and the short and long action 722 and 721. Just do a bit of research on that,,,so easy to find info. I had one that accidental discharged.

Also I wore out two extracactors on a 700 in 35 Whelen I shot a lot with light loads with pistol bullets.

Also had a trigger on a model 7 fail. It was not solid forged steel just a hard plating on a cheap cast trigger. I wore through the plating.
I have 700's, a 721, and a 788. I wish I had a 541. You are correct about the 788. Mine in .222 Remington is the most accurate rifle I own. Wish I had more. The CZ seems to be a favorite. I don't have a bolt .22 rim fire. Wish I did. mtmuley

Tikka is good to match a modern sporter feel, and mine shot well. Would love to try an Anschutz. If money is no object there’s Vudoo.

I have 700's, a 721, and a 788. I wish I had a 541. You are correct about the 788. Mine in .222 Remington is the most accurate rifle I own. Wish I had more. The CZ seems to be a favorite. I don't have a bolt .22 rim fire. Wish I did. mtmuley
For the longest time my .22 Rimfire of choice was a very old Marlin 39 with vintage peep sights. I also used a scope on it building up a "comb" with a motorcycle tire tube. It really is an anccurate rifle,,,but it is heavy.

The model 511 is so light and with it's 25 inch barrel and factory peeps sights, it out shoots my model 39. Really one big hole at 25 yards.

Again it is so light, the trigger is sweet and since I bought it, it is now my Forest Grouse gun,,,,and legal as such.

I think you would feel very well served with one. Best to be patient and buy one that already has peep sights. Buying the peep sights separately can get ferciouslt pricy.

I met an old cowboy hunter years ago deep in a desert mountain canyon. He, his truck, his horse trailer, his horse and his model 788 in .308 all looked so absolutely used beyond belief. Used hard and put up wet,,,,covered with mud.

I think he was maybe the best hunter I ever met. His 788 wore an ancient fixed 4x scope,,,like mine,,, all the finish wore off from going in an out of a saddle scabbard,,,,,but good heaven could that guy hunt, shoot far, close or fast on game standing or running.

That 788 was his only rifle.

I watched as he and his horse disappeared into some rough tuff terrain, later I heard one shot,,,,way in the distance. Hours later he was leading his horse out with a fine buck tied over the saddle.

Give respect to acicedental discharge issues,,,,once it happens,,,,it is a game changer.

MR

Back