PEAX Equipment

Bolt Action Rimfire

Wish I would have been smart enough to buy a ruger 77/22 years ago.
+1

I have a 22 LR 77/22 I got at Husky Sports years ago. The finest bolt 22 anywhere. I paid $275
It's the "boat paddle" version. I've always wanted to put a can on this one and get another pretty one for a safe queen.

Before I get a prettier 22LR, I am lurking on GB for a 22 Mag, but I have other things to drop $1000 on right now.

My first rifle was a Rem 514. Learned to shoot with it. I've had it over 65 years now.

In later years I bought a Rem 512, put a scope on it, and it put many rabbits in the dinner pot.

Then about 20 years ago I saw a Rem 541-T at a gun show and basically traded a Rem Classic in .375 H&H for it. I put a 1" recoil pad on it to make it fit better, and a 3-9x Simmons scope, and it's a 50 yard tack driver.

When will it end? You’re taking about what may be the most prolific bolt-action rifle trigger on planet earth. 90% or more of the owners had ZERO interest in sending their rifle in to Remington to get a new trigger installed for a number of reasons. Maybe they didn’t want a company that was partially owned by George Soros writing down all their serial numbers to distribute them to who knows who in the future. Maybe they didn’t want to be without their rifles for who knows how long? Maybe they didn’t find the “problem” to be that big a problem in the first place and didn’t want to give up the bolt locking feature. Remington should have adopted Mike Walker’s improvements(a redundant safety feature) to that trigger that he made before the trigger was even released. They don’t deserve a complete pass on that, but the idea that 7,850,000 rifles are going to be shipped to Remington for trigger replacement is ludicrous.

Many users don’t even consider the original trigger to be flawed. The “problem” does not occur if your trigger is not dirty and is as properly adjusted. It just happened to be one of the only factory triggers that was fully adjustable without modification AND only blocked the firing pin(many safeties only block the firing pin) AND incorporated a bolt locking feature into a two position safety.

Remington was able to deny the problem because it’s not really a problem when something on fails to function properly if it is dirty, maladjusted by the user, or worn out. Was there a cheap simple improvement that would have made the trigger even safer? YEP. Should they have incorporated it? YEP. Is the original 700 trigger one of the best factory triggers in history? YEP. Did anyone die who didn’t have a loaded gun pointed at them? NOPE.

Personally I prefer a trigger/safety that allows me to open the bolt while the safety is on, and blocking both the trigger and the firing pin is a worthwhile redundancy. Anyone using an original 700 trigger should be well aware that under the wrong circumstances, their gun could fire when they take and safety off, and should thus follow this very simple gun safety practice…NEVER POINT A FIREARM AT SOMEONE YOU DONT INTEND TO KILL!!!
Nobody has given Remingtons a greater chance to prove themselves than I have.

I had 5, a 721 in .257 Roberts. Two classic 700's, one in 7x57, the other in 35 Whelen. I had a .280 in the Mountain Rifle and finally a .260 in a model 7 in which the trigger was only plated and I wore through the plating.

Dirty,,,as you say above could cause the malfunction. I recall one day waiting for wild boar to cross the plowed field where I was waiting for them,,,hoping they would return that way from a field heavy in green barley.

A hard wind came up, dust was flying. No boar showed up but after the blowing dusty wind I checked my trigger pull. It had gone from under three pounds, to 5 and half. The trigger box was filled with dust. i did mearsure the pull later at home cleaning it out

I like , I trust, I now only have open military style triggers. model 70's amd mausers. They are self cleaning, they are open no place for dust to build up, clog up.

What you say is true, do not ever point a fire arm at somebody,,,,but what about the acidental discharge that happened to me.

Boom It went off, just moving the safety,,,my rifle was point forward,,,,nobody was in front of me,,,but that bullet went for how many miles,,,That was real scary, knowing my bullet was just travelling out there.

The trigger and the backwards safety are two negatives with the 452. I replaced the Varmint trigger with a Rifle Basix and swapped springs on the Scout. The FS is a little creepy, but I was able to get it fairly light with the stock spring.
You can beat that trigger for $10.

Last edited:
Nobody has given Remingtons a greater chance to prove themselves than I have.

I had 5, a 721 in .257 Roberts. Two classic 700's, one in 7x57, the other in 35 Whelen. I had a .280 in the Mountain Rifle and finally a .260 in a model 7 in which the trigger was only plated and I wore through the plating.

Dirty,,,as you say above could cause the malfunction. I recall one day waiting for wild boar to cross the plowed field where I was waiting for them,,,hoping they would return that way from a field heavy in green barley.

A hard wind came up, dust was flying. No boar showed up but after the blowing dusty wind I checked my trigger pull. It had gone from under three pounds, to 5 and half. The trigger box was filled with dust. i did mearsure the pull later at home cleaning it out

I like , I trust, I now only have open military style triggers. model 70's amd mausers. They are self cleaning, they are open no place for dust to build up, clog up.

What you say is true, do not ever point a fire arm at somebody,,,,but what about the acidental discharge that happened to me.

Boom It went off, just moving the safety,,,my rifle was point forward,,,,nobody was in front of me,,,but that bullet went for how many miles,,,That was real scary, knowing my bullet was just travelling out there.
Point it at the ground when you remove the safety.

For those who don’t know, the “problem” with the original 700 trigger is that the safety only blocks the firing pin. You can still pull the trigger. If the trigger fails to reset(generally due to getting dirty or being improperly adjusted) then when you remove the safety the gun fires. Why someone was pointing their loaded gun at a friend or family member when they took the gun off safety is beyond me.

A three position safety that allows you to clear the chamber before taking it off safe is better. A safety that blocks the trigger and the firing pin is better.

I like Mauser triggers. They’re pretty good for a hunting rifle.

I think the Tikka's are really slick little rifles, but I di like a longer barrel to balance more like my centerfires, so I would vote CZ 457 American. I have one in 17HMR and it is accurate and real easy on the eyes....

Point it at the ground when you remove the safety.

For those who don’t know, the “problem” with the original 700 trigger is that the safety only blocks the firing pin. You can still pull the trigger. If the trigger fails to reset(generally due to getting dirty or being improperly adjusted) then when you remove the safety the gun fires. Why someone was pointing their loaded gun at a friend or family member when they took the gun off safety is beyond me.

A three position safety that allows you to clear the chamber before taking it off safe is better. A safety that blocks the trigger and the firing pin is better.

I like Mauser triggers. They’re pretty good for a hunting rifle.
Yikes, there are few things more sad or silly than seeing somebody defend the undefedable. Safeties are supposed to be safe. That is why they are called a "safety".

The normal sequence when hunting is carrying ones rifle in a somewhat of a horizonatal position then as the rifle is being brought to shoulder when a legal game animal is seen, prior to the butt meeting the shoulder the safety is released. (That is when mine went off)

Now,,,you are saying just forget that normal process. Upon seeing a game animal, now point the rifle down instead,,,,because of fear of dysfunctional discharge,,,then bring it up.

That you could even make such a suggestion ,,,,amazes me. Were you really serious when you suggested that?

Yes I like mauser triggers too. Nice that we have that in common. And I like those winchester 3 position safeties, I never owned a target rifle by the way,,,and none of the Remigton rifles I named above were target rifles.

You keep digging yourself in a hole deeper and deeper with me,,,,like the time IN BIG BOLD LETTERS when you said the load data I offered was not there. It surely was, you just did not know where to look.

So lets change the entire hunting process if you are carrying a Remington...When you see a game animal,,,just point your rifle to the ground first,,,then bring the rifle to your shoulder. SO SILLY

If you can find a used 880 SQ Marlin I promise you that you wont be disappointed in that gun.

Yikes, there are few things more sad or silly than seeing somebody defend the undefedable. Safeties are supposed to be safe. That is why they are called a "safety".

The normal sequence when hunting is carrying ones rifle in a somewhat of a horizonatal position then as the rifle is being brought to shoulder when a legal game animal is seen, prior to the butt meeting the shoulder the safety is released. (That is when mine went off)

Now,,,you are saying just forget that normal process. Upon seeing a game animal, now point the rifle down instead,,,,because of fear of dysfunctional discharge,,,then bring it up.

That you could even make such a suggestion ,,,,amazes me. Were you really serious when you suggested that?

Yes I like mauser triggers too. Nice that we have that in common. And I like those winchester 3 position safeties, I never owned a target rifle by the way,,,and none of the Remigton rifles I named above were target rifles.

You keep digging yourself in a hole deeper and deeper with me,,,,like the time IN BIG BOLD LETTERS when you said the load data I offered was not there. It surely was, you just did not know where to look.

So lets change the entire hunting process if you are carrying a Remington...When you see a game animal,,,just point your rifle to the ground first,,,then bring the rifle to your shoulder. SO SILLY
I was really serious about pointing the barrel down when you’re at the truck snd unloading the gun. I also make a conscious effort to keep my barrel below parallel on occasions that I carry it in my hands(yes it gets pointed up occasionally while maneuvering around brush), and yes I’m really serious about making sure that your target has a backstop behind it if you’re going to shoot. When I do have my rifle in my hands, it’s pointed generally downward, and when I pull up on a target, the muzzle is above the horizon for little to no time at all. I can’t expect you, I, or anyone else to be perfect, but the fact that you have no idea how far that bullet went suggests that something other than the trigger was also imperfect at that moment. Yes, I’m serious, try to keep your muzzle pointed downward and not at people. It really doesn’t require changing the whole hunting process. There are a lot of people on this forum that won’t even hunt with a round chambered regardless of what rifle they’re carrying, so I’m far from extreme on this issue.

I wouldn’t say that I’m doing much to defend Remington’s lack of adoption of a trigger blocking feature. They absolutely should have adopted a trigger blocking feature. BUT those triggers don’t allow the gun to fire when you take it off safe UNLESS there is a problem. They don’t do it when functioning correctly.

I absolutely would “defend” Remington in terms of not having replaced 7.85M triggers. Most people don’t actually want them replaced. How do you put that off on Remington? They can’t just send everyone a trigger without taking serial numbers, and I understand them wanting to actually take temporary possession of the firearm, but I also understand how a lot of owners would not be willing to do that, even if they did want a new trigger.

Your Mauser safety also does not block the trigger. It only blocks the firing pin. Go put it on “safe”, depress the trigger, and move the safety back to “fire” while the trigger is depressed. The firing pin will fire. Now, those trigger return springs are stronger than on a Remington 700, the trigger is NOT adjustable(without modification), and as you’ve mentioned, getting them dirty is less of an issue. I have swapped springs in Mauser trigger, and yes you can make them less safe.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the Browning T-bolt. Excellent accuracy and has a longer barrel and larger stock than some mini 22s like a 10/22. It's a great transition rifle for younger shooters.

The CZ 457s are an upgrade over the previous models. If the OP wanted a nice walnut stocked tack driver a CZ457 Varmint is a very nice rifle.
The Tikka T1xs are really accurate with a great trigger and reliable magazines.
I bought a Bergara Barreled action and put in an XLR chassis to shoot some of the Rimfire tactical matches that are getting popular. With Lapua Center X its a 1/4” rifle at 50 yards and under an inch at 100.

Last edited:
I’ve never had a “nicer” .22 as I grew up with a Marlin 981T and my dad’s Remington 514. I graduated to a few Glenfield 25’s from my Marlin as like how they handle and shoot for me, but there is much to be desired for on the smoothness of everything about those rifles. I still have a hankering for the Remington 510, 511, 512, 513, and 514. Those were well made rimfires and shot great!

For those who, like me, like the older rimfires. Check out the scope rails from DIP Products. They make a solid base that fixes to your dovetail and gives you better scope mounting options.

I was really serious about pointing the barrel down when you’re at the truck snd unloading the gun. I also make a conscious effort to keep my barrel below parallel on occasions that I carry it in my hands(yes it gets pointed up occasionally while maneuvering around brush), and yes I’m really serious about making sure that your target has a backstop behind it if you’re going to shoot. When I do have my rifle in my hands, it’s pointed generally downward, and when I pull up on a target, the muzzle is above the horizon for little to no time at all. I can’t expect you, I, or anyone else to be perfect, but the fact that you have no idea how far that bullet went suggests that something other than the trigger was also imperfect at that moment. Yes, I’m serious, try to keep your muzzle pointed downward and not at people. It really doesn’t require changing the whole hunting process. There are a lot of people on this forum that won’t even hunt with a round chambered regardless of what rifle they’re carrying, so I’m far from extreme on this issue.

I wouldn’t say that I’m doing much to defend Remington’s lack of adoption of a trigger blocking feature. They absolutely should have adopted a trigger blocking feature. BUT those triggers don’t allow the gun to fire when you take it off safe UNLESS there is a problem. They don’t do it when functioning correctly.

I absolutely would “defend” Remington in terms of not having replaced 7.85M triggers. Most people don’t actually want them replaced. How do you put that off on Remington? They can’t just send everyone a trigger without taking serial numbers, and I understand them wanting to actually take temporary possession of the firearm, but I also understand how a lot of owners would not be willing to do that, even if they did want a new trigger.

Your Mauser safety also does not block the trigger. It only blocks the firing pin. Go put it on “safe”, depress the trigger, and move the safety back to “fire” while the trigger is depressed. The firing pin will fire. Now, those trigger return springs are stronger than on a Remington 700, the trigger is NOT adjustable(without modification), and as you’ve mentioned, getting them dirty is less of an issue. I have swapped springs in Mauser trigger, and yes you can make them less safe.
Hmm, no bold print,,,no more jabs back and forth between us,,,we might well end being email buddys.

You are a scrapper,,,so am I . It is obvious you know a lot,,,in some areas where I know far less,,,,you know much more about safeties. I always just loved the mauser safety I loved knowing the the firing pine was locked solid away. I never liked trigger only safeties, but best of all for me is the winchester three position safety. My kimber has the classic three position winchester safety.

My sako finnlight has this cool button to depress which allows the bolt to be lifted with the safety fully on. When all is said and done my Sako is the most highly engineered rifle I own. I really dig the dovetail mounting grooves in the receiever and using those vintage optiock rings.

Times change us, as I got older with more money to burn on things that go "bang" I was looking for othe guns to buy.
Truth be told, one rifle I will always miss was my model 721 in .257 Roberts. It taught me what accuracy could be.

If I saw one around, I would buy it, definitely get the trigger/safety redone.

When I bought it, there was a fixed 3x weaver scope on it. I lived down by the Mexican border then. I used to hunt little deer in cactus thickets. I forget what grain it was, but I had these Hornady round nosed bullets. Heavy for .257 caliber. They went right thru some thin flat cactus into deer hiding behind them.

Hmm getting sentimental now,,gonna look online and see if I can find one of those .257's

Take care,,how old are you?

Mustang Rule

I’ve been thinking I should get a solid .22 rifle. Been getting by with a semi auto Marlin for quite a while, it’s an okay plinke, w/ lousy sights and a receiver dove tail that won’t hold a scope in place for love nor money.

I lean towards one of the CZ Trainer types, or the Tikka. My experience with Tikka CF rifles gives them a small lead. A bit of small game use and plenty of range / new shooter work.

Experiences? Other choices I should consider?
Believe it or not .22 rimfire rifle can be picky as center fire guns about ammo.
I shoot long range rimfire matches regularly engaging targets out to 250 yds and sometimes 300, steel silhouettes.
I personally have two rifles I compete with, a Tikka T1x, and an old Marlin mod 25. Point is the Tikka takes Eley match standard velocity @1080 fps and slings em into a single hole @50yds an so does the old Marlin but the Marlin has to shoot Fed HV Match @1200 fps.
The marlin is not stock anymore but the Tikka is. The money is in the optics. Both run Vortex Vipers.
Other and most common rifles I see at the competitions are the Savage MKIIs heavy barrels, CZ 452-457s, and Ruger American Rimfires. All these are accurate enough to make the shots at these distances with an ammunition that shots well in that particular rifle.
Hope this gives you more options.

CZ really knocked it out of the park with the 455 series. I have a 452 (trainer) and my wife has a 455 (hunter I think). They are both phenomenal guns and great hunters, but I'll be damned if I don't eyeball my wife's when we take them out of the safe. Tikka makes great guns, but the CZ is a go light workhorse for knocking down small game in the deep nowhere.

My only complaint is that the trainer barrell is a bit long for the hellholes I frequent.

Top them with a vortex rimfire scope and you will be happy with the set up.

Back