Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

30-06 Load Development

AussieHunter

I thought I should add some of my experiences here so others may get some insight and maybe ideas.

I have been using a Sauer 202 in 3006 but a trip into the Victorian High Country after Sambar last year on a back pack hunt convinced me that a 12 pound rifle was to heavy to carry in steep thick country. Especially combined with a 70 pound pack for the trip in to and out to a base camp. Going off the thoughts and first hand knowledge of a mate I purchased a Tikka T3x in fluted blued 3006 and a Southfort Labs Tikka Bush Hunter Stock and then proceeded to bed the Tikka into the Southfort. These stocks are excellent quality and a great shape for both off hand and prone position shooting but not cheap running at around $1000AU. And Southfort guarantee them for life.

Bedding the Tikka has a few traps, in that you need to glue the lug into the stock but still have a perfect fit into the action. Which means essentially jamming the lug into the action recoil lug slot whilst achieving the correct clearances where required and then checking fit multiple times before adding bedding compound and getting it all stuck in wrong. There is also the issue of ensuring the depth the action is set into the action is correct so as to allow proper feeding from the box magazine.

After a multiple day sessions in preping, the bedding was completed and the finish was great but the proof would be in the shooting.

I have been a long time shooter of Nosler products and had over the last few years made the jump to ABLRs. So, first round load development was in Norma cases (Down Under for quality brass you grab what is available when it is and get a good stock it. Either Lapua, Norma, Hornady or Nosler. Norma was what was available at the time) Reloder 17 and 165 grain ABLRs. Initial results were tempting but just weren't getting consistent grouping. Always two shots real close and a third out wide. And the patterns of shot fall wasn't consistent. It could have been shot 1, 2 or 3 that went wide no pattern, nor were the groupings in each load weight consistent. Bugger. And I was conscious of taking my time in shooting the groups with such a thin barrel and ambient temperatures on the range line of 100 deg F.

Time for a rethink.

As I have already alluded to supply of reloading products down under can be fickle, so many experienced blokes choose what is more readily available when it comes to reload components. After some thought I decided to move up a weight class and sourced some Hornady 178 Grain ELD-Xs.

From the outset I could see a dramatic improvement with 54 grains of RE-17 putting three shots into 0.5MOA. All groups from 54 right through to 56 grains at half grain increments proved very accurate with the 56 grain opening up to 0.8MOA. I have settled on 55 grains which went 2785fps averaged across six shots with a ES of 17fps measured with a Magneto Speed Chrony.

I am super happy with the result given that this rifle weighs in at 7.3 pound with a Swaro Z6 2.5-15X44BT mounted on it, in Talley lightweight one piece bases. Looking forward to taking it out in the field this season after I get the BT set-up and verified. It should be a pleasure to hunt with as it will get carrried alot in the mountains of New South Wales and Victoria.

I should put out a shout out to Nathan Foster's technique on shooting fundamentals. Over the years I have struggled to get consistency, trying many different techniques. Well over the last two years using his guidance that consistence has only been cemented further and further in to tighter groups, and with lighter rifles.

Tikka ii.JPGTikka.JPG

Interesting result on the 165 grain bullet. I have rounds loaded for optimal charge weight testing on one of my 30-06's using both RL-17 and my old standby IMR-4350 behind the Nosler 165 gr ballistic tip. A friend gave me two pounds of the RL-17 and though it was developed more for the short magnums I saw a chance to get a little more speed out of my .280 Rem utilizing the more linear burn rate, hoping it wouldn't stress the old Mauser action it's built on. Results were less than optimal using a 140 gr bullet but I'll be testing 150's and 160's ere long, hoping the heavier bullets will be more stable. Speed isn't really that important at the ranges I'll likely encounter but accuracy and consistency certainly is.
If the RL-17 doesn't give good test results from the -06 it will find a new home and I'll stick with what works. I can always scatter it in my veggie garden as fertilizer.

This is great. Packed in to base camp with a 70# pack to hunt Sambar. I've never seen one! Have to think they are at min a hundred pounds though. You pack out that pack and the Sambar? Your an animal! :)

Don all the fellas hooked in a helped as is the norma with hunters down under and I from what I see in North America.

Yes a big Sambar Stag can go upto around 400kg so they are big animals. I have yet to see a big Stag. The are just so elusive and atune to what is going on especially in that thick country.

Here is the link to the Day one of Seven video the mate did one his YouTube channel Bolt Action Productions

Interesting result on the 165 grain bullet. I have rounds loaded for optimal charge weight testing on one of my 30-06's using both RL-17 and my old standby IMR-4350 behind the Nosler 165 gr ballistic tip. A friend gave me two pounds of the RL-17 and though it was developed more for the short magnums I saw a chance to get a little more speed out of my .280 Rem utilizing the more linear burn rate, hoping it wouldn't stress the old Mauser action it's built on. Results were less than optimal using a 140 gr bullet but I'll be testing 150's and 160's ere long, hoping the heavier bullets will be more stable. Speed isn't really that important at the ranges I'll likely encounter but accuracy and consistency certainly is.
If the RL-17 doesn't give good test results from the -06 it will find a new home and I'll stick with what works. I can always scatter it in my veggie garden as fertilizer.

I have great success with RE17 in two 30-06s now. Great load density. And clean burning.

Nice set-up you got there. In my 30-06 I load a Barnes 168gr. TTSX bullet on top of H4350 and get great accuracy and velocity. RL17 is a great powder but have never tried it, so not sure about how temperature might affect it.

I got my best accuracy out of my 30/06 shooting the Barnes 168 TTSX loaded with 55.0 grains of IMR-4350, Fed 210M Primers and Remington Nickle plated brass.

I have had good luck with RL-17 in three 30-06's using 165 gr accubonds and 168 gr Barnes tsx.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back