Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bogus Movie Hunting Scenes

Not exactly hunting but I saw a movie where these guys in buckskins were shooting at each other with muskets. One of the good guys got shot and fell face first in the river. For dramatic effect, the camera then fallowed his musket as it slowly floated down the river.

That was a real head scratcher for me.

What confuses me a little, is that to get it right shouldn't exactly cost that much. Just shows how out of touch the moviemakers are.

Probably goes something like this: Hey, anybody know anyone who hunts? No? Okay, Hey you low level Assistant, google "hunting scene" so we can put it in our movie.

Anyone see the Mountain Men episode where Ray Livingston shoots the cow and builds this giant wooden sled ziptied together to drag the elk out in it. I’m all for using modern plastic sleds to get game out but seemed like he was really stretching the practical application of a “survivalist.” Only episode I’ve seen but thought that was pretty goofy.

I always liked the bison in Dances With Wolves who hit the dirt face first, stone dead, the moment an arrow hit them.
What you talking about? Every single time I've shot a bison off a running horse with traditional archery gear, it has been DRT! At least those looked like bison. Not a hunting movie, but I've always thought they portrayed a mid-west whitetail spot-on in this classic.

Last edited:
They just have no real expertise, at it. They aren't inclined to spend much money making it perfectly realistic, since the large percentage of the audience, won't know the difference.

My pet peeve, since getting horses, is the terrible horsemanship on display in every western.
Lots of production companies hire "expert" military advisors, and still get it all wrong....They don't want realistic, they want to pander to the audience.

Lots of production companies hire "expert" military advisors, and still get it all wrong....They don't want realistic, they want to pander to the audience.
The joke is on them. They are ignorant as the day is long about military or hunting arms. So how would they be able to present stories involving them realistically?

1702946654442.jpeg

Watched the movie “Big Jake” this week. His son Michael makes an impressive 500 yards running shot on a deer offhand. Since he swung the gun in an arc covering about 30 degrees in three seconds by my math the deer was running close to 200 mph.

Truly impressive shooting.

A “guide” in Canada told me about making two shots one right after the other on running whitetail across a stubble field with his 303 British at 700 yards. Just have to swing through them🙄

Not exactly hunting but I saw a movie where these guys in buckskins were shooting at each other with muskets. One of the good guys got shot and fell face first in the river. For dramatic effect, the camera then fallowed his musket as it slowly floated down the river.

That was a real head scratcher for me.
Damn balsa wood stocks!
Every movie that shows a red stag when they are hunting deer or elk. Or just showing red stag in the wild in the states.
Like this from last of the Mohicans were they are hunting in the NE united states.images.jpeg-57.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back