Blue Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was in Texas, but we ( students ) worked on a project and at that time it was directed more at the Hispanic population --but the discrepancy in sentencing was an eye opener . Everyone jumps right to "the people of color are getting longer sentences'
and ignoring the "why" I am not saying the longer sentences are correct or even deserved but how the person got their sentence and why is different .

The most important part of this procedure seemed to be what "charge" the prosecutor decides to start with and where/what he is willing to deal down to. ( if a felony, remember the Grand Jury is basically a "rubber stamp" for the prosecutor.)

and then

The details of the crime, the details of the arrest ( per the officer ), criminal history, the district tried in ( some districts hand down harsher sentences than others and the harshest ones are in the high crime area of a city ), the "mandatory minimum" after the prosecutor has settled on what to charge them with, then the opinion of a probation officer, and finally the Judge, listening to both sides and making a decision based on the "mandatory minimum" and doing so with a full calendar .

All this and most of these folks are being represented by an overworked, underpaid, public defender. A high priced attorney can absolutely change the charge before it goes to court ( obviously not true in some felony cases )

BUT, like others have said, like Nameless Range who posted as I was typing this. I have never been arrested but I have ben stopped by LEO's. I did everything they ask me to do, even the one time that it did not seem "fair". But I followed their orders and drove home. For the record I pleaded my case to my father and he told me I needed to work a few more hours so as to pay for the ticket ---no sympathy at home either :( But I didn't argue, didn't get hurt, and didn't get arrested------- by following his orders--even when I didn't agree with them..

I read an essay where this study was referenced regarding racial bias in police shootings, and so I went and read the study. It is very interesting.

Love it man! I wish more people would challenge themselves and their opinions and try to learn before commenting.
Just as a technicality, this publication has been retracted which means withdrawn from publication by the editor of the publication. There are also a couple of letters which are published communications supporting the retraction along with a rebuttal from the original authors. It doesn't mean that this reference isn't valid; I think quite the opposite. Thanks for sharing. Its also very important to highlight that this is a peer reviewed publication which is a much higher standard to try and meet, definitely not a rubber stamp to published in PNAS.

What was the point of order here to the original post?

I have no idea whether or not this post was directed at me or ?? But since it followed my post. The discussion of racism doesn't stop at the arrest, as many others have mentioned. Black males on average receive longer sentences, but when the circumstances of the case reaches the court room, including where the court room is, also contributes to the sentence.

I have no idea whether or not this post was directed at me or ?? But since it followed my post. The discussion of racism doesn't stop at the arrest, as many others have mentioned. Black males on average receive longer sentences, but when the circumstances of the case reaches the court room, including where the court room is, also contributes to the sentence.

This would be captured by the term "systemic".

It's evident from the thread that everyone has their perspective that they are not likely to change anytime soon.

What is obviously changing is the reaction to a police involved shooting. I predict that the city of Kenosha will end up paying a multi million dollar settlement as a result of this shooting. There is also millions of dollars lost in property damage and collateral deaths resulting from the protests/rioting. It does not take much insight to realize that the next high profile police involved shooting will spark a similar reaction.

What is obviously changing is the reaction to a police involved shooting. I predict that the city of Kenosha will end up paying a multi million dollar settlement as a result of this shooting. There is also millions of dollars lost in property damage and collateral deaths resulting from the protests/rioting. It does not take much insight to realize that the next high profile police involved shooting will spark a similar reaction.

This is an aspect I've been thinking on quite a bit lately, and something I haven't seen addressed here. We can push our perspective and use the data to support it until we're red in the face, but it seems to me that there is an element of social science/ acceptable behavior that is shifting. More of the public is perceiving these shootings as extrajudicial killings these days, regardless of whether or not they are determined to be appropriate or legal.

I was comparing it in my head to our discussion of social science in wildlife management. While the data may suggest that certain habitat can hold many more elk, landowner tolerance often dictates that herd numbers be reduced. Not a perfect analogy, but it's a piece of the puzzle we have to consider. While LEO's are absolutely necessary for our society I think we're going to have to change how they operate.

All lives matter--Black, Brown, White, whatever !

But I strongly support law enforcement and military

do we have those in law enforcement and military that break the law--yes. And we need to arrest them, and they should be tried before a jury of their peers ( or a military court )

Damn it, we are throwing the baby out with the bath water and we are going to regret it. I dont want to defund them, threaten them, not serve them ( restaurants ) or hit them in the head with a bat when they are trying to remove someone off the street who would hurt us if left on the street.

There are several right here on this forum who are now or have been police officers and/or in the military . THANK YOU !

Perhaps I am just to old and things have changed or need to change and if that is the case I am receptive to new ideas.

What needs to change ? thank you
I completely agree with you

Yup, protesting his death got something accomplished...more dead...

Ooof

Last edited:
How do they say... not good optics...

won't matter a damn bit. They will dig in deeper. Same goes for the opposite side. And believe me they both sides see this issue an us vs them situation. Tribalism will win over commonaity when they are only willing recognize the segment community that they agree with.

Last edited:
Lots of new updates tonight from the AG.

I'm not going to say it was for sure justified but it does appear from these facts that Mr. Blake was sure acting in a way leading to the decision made by Officer Sheskey. All I can think of is the video earlier of the officers that tried everything but a firearm and the end result was them in return being shot.

How do they say... not good optics...

He was at a Trump rally.. So what

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back