PEAX Equipment

BLM Directed to Implement Corner Crossing

This needs to be implemented in a REASONABLE way. It can’t be left so up in the air that people are in danger creating devices to remain in the “airspace” or up to 3rd party mapping apps, with every mis-step brought to court. BLM needs to write it into their grazing leases, and require gated corners (or otherwise crossable) if fences are in place, or perhaps a different marked easement if that’s not feasible, and states need to pass language clarifying that merely passing through or over a corner - directly on foot- with no other purpose but to cross and no damage to private property - does NOT constitute trespass. Put this stupid issue to bed already, stop kowtowing to rich landowners who want yet another subsidy and their own private park, and let the other 350 million “landowners” , the public, access to their damn lands. It’s time.

Last edited:
How can BLM implement this? They own diagonal corners and have no say on the other diagonal, or over game and fish, or sheriff's. This was a total stunt, over stepped and quickly walked back
I have mixed feelings on corner crossing. If Montana managed wildlife maybe it would be different. To do it correctly there are a lot of pins or walk through gates that the blm needs to put up. Until that happens most will be trespassing doing it. I’m not opposed to it but it needs to be done correctly and it could be the end to any mature mule deer on the landscape in Montana.

How can BLM implement this? They own diagonal corners and have no say on the other diagonal, or over game and fish, or sheriff's. This was a total stunt, over stepped and quickly walked back
If BLM or USFS is offering grazing leases with owners of adjacent deeded land, they should be able to put this as a term and condition of the lease. Nobody is forced to sign and it doesn’t even require a change to any laws. The other party can choose to accept or reject those terms and go seek a lease with a different landowner offering more favorable terms (good luck). Why should our public land management agencies NOT represent public interests in access?

Last edited:
If BLM or USFS is offering grazing leases with owners of adjacent deeded land, they should be able to put this as a term and condition of the lease. Nobody is forced to sign and it doesn’t even require a change to any laws. The other party can choose to accept or reject those terms and go seek a lease with a different landowner offering more favorable terms (good luck). Why should our public land management agencies NOT represent public interests in access?
Then why did we need a court case in the first place? What BLM can do is simply use their cadastral surveyors to ensure the survey pins are clearly marked and provide a fence corner that promotes crossing without trespassing as well as ensure the private landowners are not blocking the pin. That would be about the extent of it

If part of the terms of a BLM lease was you had to provide access, most landowners would view a private lease as having more favorable terms even if the cost was 10 or 20 times greater.

If part of the terms of a BLM lease was you had to provide access, most landowners would view a private lease as having more favorable terms even if the cost was 10 or 20 times greater.
Terms can be negotiated. End result may be based on who holds the strongest card on a particular section, and let the chips fall where they may. If end result is legal access, I am happy.

Also, I only want them to ALLOW access or not to IMPEDE access. “Providing” access is hardly the point. If it takes gates, 100% I would support the public funding that cost. Other than that, there is nothing for the deeded owner to do.

Don’t know of one rancher that would go for “10 or 20 times greater” lease costs. Just not economically feasible.

Terms can be negotiated. End result may be based on who holds the strongest card on a particular section, and let the chips fall where they may. If end result is legal access, I am happy.

Also, I only want them to ALLOW access or not to IMPEDE access. “Providing” access is hardly the point. If it takes gates, 100% I would support the public funding that cost. Other than that, there is nothing for the deeded owner to do.
I may have miss read your thinking, If you are only talking about corner crossing at the corner you would get some takers as the damages are small if any at all. Fred and landowners like him would not be one of the takers. I replied as if it was all land locked Public land.

Last edited:
Don’t know of one rancher that would go for “10 or 20 times greater” lease costs. Just not economically feasible.
You are right, I should have said 10 to 20 times more than the 1.35. It is not unheard of for the price of a private lease to be 20 times a buck thirty five. That price is however not the entire cost of a government lease. There are often costs to a government lease that are not included in a private lease and in general government leases are not as good of quality so you will take a hit on production compared to a private lease. My family has two separate herds of cattle, One spends the summer entirely on forest, the other spends the summer on mostly private and some state and BLM. I once figured we could pay 16 dollars per AUM for the private and still make more money per cow on the private.

You are right, I should have said 10 to 20 times more than the 1.35. It is not unheard of for the price of a private lease to be 20 times a buck thirty five. That price is however not the entire cost of a government lease. There are often costs to a government lease that are not included in a private lease and in general government leases are not as good of quality so you will take a hit on production compared to a private lease. My family has two separate herds of cattle, One spends the summer entirely on forest, the other spends the summer on mostly private and some state and BLM. I once figured we could pay 16 dollars per AUM for the private and still make more money per cow on the private.
If people make more money on private leases, then why do they lease from the Government at all? Is it because these better value private leases aren't available?
I used to work for Plumcreek, who were the biggest private landowners in the US. Plumcreek had lots of leases for range cattle in NW Montana. Plumcreek always wanted to get out of the leases, as the cattle were doing more damage than the leases were worth, to fences, creeks etc. I wonder if it's the same for the government?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back