Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

BLM Directed to Implement Corner Crossing

Didn't the decision explain that there has to be no other way legal into the "blocked" section for corner crossing to be legal? And I would presume that someone has to make every attempt to avoid impacting private property? So much info and opinions, it is hard to get clarity, and people often create just as much clarity as they need to do what they want to do. That is what would make me nervous.
I honestly hope most are too scared to do it. I'm not.

Didn't the decision explain that there has to be no other way legal into the "blocked" section for corner crossing to be legal? And I would presume that someone has to make every attempt to avoid impacting private property? So much info and opinions, it is hard to get clarity, and people often create just as much clarity as they need to do what they want to do. That is what would make me nervous.
The issue in Wyo is as clear as it needs to be for me to CC. You dont have to attempt to avoid impacting private property, you must not impact PP. When done correctly, you will not impact PP. If the situation presents itself this season to myself or my sons we will CC without reservation and in doing so we will not impact PP at all. I will not be waiting for Director Stone-Manning or Secretary Haaland to clear things up for me.

When done correctly,
So no ATVs I presume? As is often the case, damage occurs not from a single user, but from the combined impact of dozens or hundreds. I am almost glad I don't have a WY tag this year so I can just observe how this works. I hope it goes unnoticed and time gives clarity. But that just leaves us with the task of maintaining the "done correctly" part, which is always hard.

So no ATVs I presume? As is often the case, damage occurs not from a single user, but from the combined impact of dozens or hundreds. I am almost glad I don't have a WY tag this year so I can just observe how this works. I hope it goes unnoticed and time gives clarity. But that just leaves us with the task of maintaining the "done correctly" part, which is always hard.
Correct. Not sure how a person could even do it on a ATV? Wouldn't that need to happen on publicly accessible road? Therefore not CCing.

I think that is the problem, some are going to abuse the intent. IMO, if that happens those offenders need the book thrown at them. Then someone should pick up that book and beat them with it until they understand the intent.

I would hope not many, but I could see some low brain cell individuals doing it. Would be a real chicken shit type of move that likely would open the landowner up to all kinds of other issues.
Nothing new, 40 years ago I was in a non-landowner city dwellers house, and he had 4 of the brass caps mounted in his rock fireplace.

The government doesn't have to enough money for eminent domain, current elk hunting ranches are pushing 2k per acre.
Don't think it would take up too much ground for a 3 foot or so at corners. Enough for foot and horse traffic. I may be wrong though

Don't think it would take up too much ground for a 3 foot or so at corners. Enough for foot and horse traffic. I may be wrong though
Major legal fees involved with eminent domain. With the small number of hunters compared to the rest of the US population, I don't think the government would try to prove a eminent domain case.

I have mixed feelings on corner crossing. If Montana managed wildlife maybe it would be different. To do it correctly there are a lot of pins or walk through gates that the blm needs to put up. Until that happens most will be trespassing doing it. I’m not opposed to it but it needs to be done correctly and it could be the end to any mature mule deer on the landscape in Montana.
So we should just let the landowners keep the access closed to "save" mature mule deer?

So we should just let the landowners keep the access closed to "save" mature mule deer?
I think I’ve already said in a lot of states I would guess there will be minimal impact to wildlife(states that have some type of wildlife management). Montana is a free for all and lack of access is the only thing keeping the wildlife from being shot or pushed further into large blocks of private. It will have negative effects for wildlife and hunting in Montana without a change of management. I also know that’s a very narrow view and hunting is just part of public land use. If you want to do it have at it, the attorney in my county said he would prosecute it, go be a hero for the rest of us.

Major legal fees involved with eminent domain. With the small number of hunters compared to the rest of the US population, I don't think the government would try to prove a eminent domain case.
But the two corners of the checkerboard junction on private would be half of maybe a 3 or four foot square. That shouldn't be too expensive .... should it? Or the landowner (s) could be reasonable and sell it(the small corner). If the people using it are causing problems and trespassing the owners can take the path that Fred did and call LE or file a legit civil suit, seems like a reasonable solution.

But the two corners of the checkerboard junction on private would be half of maybe a 3 or four foot square. That shouldn't be too expensive .... should it? Or the landowner (s) could be reasonable and sell it(the small corner). If the people using it are causing problems and trespassing the owners can take the path that Fred did and call LE or file a legit civil suit, seems like a reasonable solution.
The eminent domain would only need to be for a right of way diagonally through the corner from public to public, no need to purchase as deeded.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back