"Blaze" the Bear

Check out the comments on the YNP facebook page....UNREAL how many clowns are out there!

If you want to maintain sanity, never ever read what people write on the Yellowstone page.

Yellowstone does, however, have really thoughtful, informative, relevant, and awesome posts for the most part. It's a win-lose page to follow.

If the bear walked away after the attack they wouldn't be killing the bear. The reason they are killing the bear is because it partially ate the guy and cached the rest for later.

Exactly! There are a lot of occasions where a bear attacks someone and it is clear that the bear is protecting her cubs, and the bear is not killed. This is a unique case in which the bear not only attacked the hiker, but killed him (which from everything I've read on defensive grizzly attacks is rare), and consumed him (which is even more rare).

I just "liked" the YNP Facebook page. Can Hanes no longer allows me to comment on his page - maybe YNP will be more fun.

The week before the guy got eaten I saw 7 Grizzlies in YNP. 3 near the road where some people were insanely close to. I saw a sow and 2 cubs on the south edge of Hayden valley- 2 miles west of volcano pots and another lone boar feeding on a bison carcass right west of volcano pots. Those 4 Grizzlies were about 1.5-2 miles from where the guy was found. Must be a pile of them there. I pack spray & a gun.

If they eat people - they need to go.

This was from 60 yards - 3x zoom. Too close.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 646
Exactly! There are a lot of occasions where a bear attacks someone and it is clear that the bear is protecting her cubs, and the bear is not killed. This is a unique case in which the bear not only attacked the hiker, but killed him (which from everything I've read on defensive grizzly attacks is rare), and consumed him (which is even more rare).

Yeah - rare tastes good!
More rare is fine too.

One of my favorites,,,,,,,,,,,

Steve Boaz Ridiculous!!! This is the chance we take hiking in the wilderness and even more so off the trail and by yourself. It's the same chance people take swimming in the ocean with sharks. We don't track sharks down and euthanize them once they bite or kill someone. What we should do is euthanize the criminals that kill innocent people. James Holmes the Colorado gunman kills 12 innocent people but we have to pay to keep him alive for the rest of his life... Relocate the bear and her cubs deeper in the forest. There has been more incidents in Yellowstone this year because of stupid people not the animals...

Once they have the taste of human flesh, they never go back to pine nuts and trout.

People - the other white meat.

Hide yo chillren, hide yo womens, the bears is coming.

I wouldn't think humans taste good.

The dude above suggests you can track sharks, throws in a mass murderer comparison and wants the bears moved "deeper into the forest". We are doomed.

She was euthanized today, the cubs will be going to an AZA accredited org. The bear had consumed a lot of the hiker and cached him to dine on later. It's also been confirmed that the hiker wasn't carrying bear spray, which borders on insanity to me--Here's the post:

Yellowstone NP News Release: Hiker’s Death Confirmed as Grizzly Attack

Results from an autopsy conducted on Monday afternoon concluded that Lance Crosby, a 63 year old Billings man, died as a result of traumatic injuries sustained from a bear attack. Results from genetic (DNA) analysis of bear hair samples collected next to Crosby’s body confirmed the adult female grizzly bear that was captured at the scene on the night the body was discovered was the bear involved in the fatal attack. Additional support beyond the DNA evidence that this female was the bear involved in the attack include: the bear and cubs were at the attack site when Crosby’s body was found by park rangers; bear tracks of a female with cubs were found at Crosby’s body; this bear was captured at the fatality site within 24 hours of the body being found; and canine puncture wounds inflicted on the victim are consistent with the bite size of the female captured at the site.

Based on the totality of the evidence, this adult female grizzly was the bear involved in the fatality and was euthanized today. An important fact in the decision to euthanize the bear was that a significant portion of the body was consumed and cached with the intent to return for further feeding. Normal defensive attacks by female bears defending their young do not involve consumption of the victim’s body.

Arrangements have been made to transfer the bear’s two cubs to a facility accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The AZA sets strict standards for facilities with regard to animal handling and care. Details of this placement are still being finalized. The facility is expected to make an announcement on Friday.

“As managers of Yellowstone National Park, we balance the preservation of park resources with public safety,” said Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk. “Our decision takes into account the facts of the case, the goals of the bear management program, and the long term viability of the grizzly bear population as a whole, rather than an individual bear.”

The area closures, including the Elephant Back Loop Trail and Natural Bridge Trail will be lifted on Friday, August 14.

Last edited:
Good thing they don't care for Chinese food. It would get ugly fast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 568
The guy posing on top of the SUV is classic. Perhaps there was a bison grazing a few yards behind selfie stick gal and he is just a little more cautious than the others?

This story has absolutely amazed me at how many people think this bear didn't need to be killed. People I would have guessed had a reasonable amount of common sense.

8574080_G.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back