MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Blackhorn 209

Rooster52

Though this has been out for some time I had never tried it till today. Very impressed.Blackhorn 209 will be my powder of choice for this years season. Shooting a Powerbelt 295 bullet over 90 grains of powder touched bullet holes at 65 yards today.Very easy clean up.

Just make sure that your breech plug is compatible. It takes a little more fire to ignite than triple 7 or pyrodex. I had to get a compatible breech plug for my CVA muzzleloaders. I think TC are fine. I really like that powder. No real ned to swab between shots. I have heard that some guys have done 20 shot or more with no change in accuracy. I can't verify that though. Worth a google to double chech though.

I have put 20 shots through in between cleaning the barrel. However, even with the special CVA breech plug, I brushed the opening after 5 shots. I would recommend to do so if you are using magnum primers.

In shooting I found the Barnes TMZ 290 gr with 100 grains BH209 with Fiocchi #616 209 primer was my most accurate load out of the CVA Accura LR.

I've been using it for years now and the only thing I use. NM allows scopes &sabots.
TC Omega 50 cal. ,100 gr BH 209 ,250 TEZ ,Win 209 shotgun primers.
I swab oil out ,dry fire, then can shoot 10-20 rounds to make sure it's dead-on @ 100-200 yrds and I'm set till I clean it after season til next year.
I have left it loaded for 2 months and it still fired fine and it looks like new after cleaning(not advisable)

I left an Omega loaded with B209 all last winter and it went off fine this summer. Like Sept-June.

However, I might as well pour water in the barrel of my Knight with the B209 as I am having terrible luck getting it to go off. Hangfires, miss fires, POS gun.

I second Hank4elk comments. I soot 100 grais of powder and 250g sst hornady and CCI shotgun primers out of a T/C Triumph. I've shoot it 30 times consistently with great accuracy and still a super easy cleanup.

BH 209 works pretty good in Black Powder Cartridges as well. Super clean and w/ magnum primers, has been very reliable in terms of ignition.

Also do fine with 90 grn of it and a 240 gr. Hornady XTP in TC Omega. Dad's Knight hates it, hang fires every time. Sticking with Triple 7 pellets in that gun.

I love BH 209. But, it sure makes a crusty mess of the breech plug. Anyone found a solvent that eats that crust up good?

Schmalts, just soak it for about 10 - 15 minutes in Hoppes 9. You will be able to wipe the breech plug clean with a cloth.

Ditto. Hoppes #9 Might need to clear the hole out too.
It's all I use to clean it anymore. Any gun . I use sabots so there's just powder fouling.

Last edited:
Yes ,I bought the CVA Blackhorn 209 breech plug for my Optima

I plan on switching mine for next season. Do you happen to know a part #? My local sporting goods store doesn't seem to know much.

I love BH 209. But, it sure makes a crusty mess of the breech plug. Anyone found a solvent that eats that crust up good?

schmalts, I was thinking we had the same model CVA? I have never had issue with crusty breech plug.

I use hot soapy water and a bronze brush to clean my breech plug. No crust, normally just a film of soot. I agree with the others, it sounds like oil or some sort of lube on your breech plug is making the mess. A colder primer also can build up that crusty fouling. I used the cci magnums with no problems. Winchester W209 and federal 209a primers also work perfectly clean.

It is possible it is the oil I use. Hopps will not cut it that easy but it will do the trick if I soak it for an hour. It is not a thick layer, just a coating of a hard deposit that will not wipe off.

Back