Caribou Gear Tarp

Blackhorn 209

Read up on BH209.
It requires a hot 209 primer. Even the TC primers I got with mine will not work. It will miss fire.
I use Win 209 shotgun primers.Never had a miss fire. Slow do to oil on 1st shot of season,but no miss fires.
And use the stick thread lube on plug. Clear the edge of plug of lube before installing.
I had left one loaded a whole winter and it shot just fine. Plug came right out and cleaned up easy with Hoppes #9 and wire brush.
I know lots of folks use new fancy silicone military gun oils these days.....I use Hoppes.

And I've heard stories that CVA's need a different plug for 209. And nipple hole problems.

I love BH 209. But, it sure makes a crusty mess of the breech plug. Anyone found a solvent that eats that crust up good?

I use MPro7 gun cleaner, and don't have any issues with clean up. I just spray the plug with cleaner when I pull it out and let it soak while I clean the rest of the gun.

I use TC's thread cleaner for the outside threads, use a q-tip for the primer pocket, a 1\8" drill bit for the main part of the flash hole, and a small needle for the end of the flash hole.

When hunting I will not use any lubes,in the barrel or the breach plug.Dry and clean.
Winchester 209 primers. Blackhorn 209. 295 Powerbelts.good combination.
Shot some 4 inch groups with open sights. Either very lucky or my 64 year old eyes are better than I think.

Try wrapping that plug up with plumbers tape. I used oil and the grease stick in the past and that works fine but plumbers tape makes cleanup a breeze and it also prevents blowback.

Back