Caribou Gear

How Clean is Clean, Muzzleloaders

Clean, brush, clean brush, clean, brush, clean brush, clean, until the rags come out spotless.

Then I swab the barrel with a rust preventative.

Before I hunt, I clean, brush, clean, then load. This gets all of the oils out of the way of the powder so they don't stick to the bore when I dump them down the breech.

@BrentD D I'm shooting an inline not a traditional is the process significantly different for some reason?

Not that I know of. You could probably slip a hose up the rear, or pull the plug and put the muzzle in the bucket and wipe from the breech. I don't know how faux blackpowder responds to high-tech solvents like what I use.

Keep in mind, I have never so much as touched a gun like yours, lest my trigger finger becomes instantly necrotic and falls off and my guns would stop talking to me. I'd be really lonely then. :)

Any ever try windshield washer fluid?
Windshield washer fluid, the kind with methyl alcohol as the antifreeze additive, is very effective. I just use Windex, since I keep a bottle in my car to clean my windows from dog noseprints. If you clean it soon after firing it, the cleaning process is quick and effective using either cleaner.

David
NM

David-rose GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don't understand how these suppository guns can get pawned off as muzzle loaders. I did touch one of them guns once, took lots of Grampa's corn juice and then some of Gramma's salve recipe on my hands and lots of prayer to prevent gangrene....

I can say, though, that I have never had to ask forgiveness for shooting anything other than Holy Black and round balls out of my smokepoles.

And I don't buy them truck stop pocketknives, either.

David
NM

How clean does everyone get their gun after the season is over and what is your preferred method.

I spent about 90min this weekend cleaning mine and it's definitely not 100% but I'm also not sure if it matters? Black Night, inline.

I'm using blackhorn 209, it's a old muzzy that was used for a couple decades with pryodex and lent out to a number of people who knows how well it had been cleaned before I got it.

I've been using the Blackhorn 209 solvent. I start out alternating wet patches and the brush for a bit then do a couple of wet patches, then the brush.

Eventually I get to the point where I run the brush then the first wet patch has a bit of black at the top then is mostly "blue", then the second is totally clean... but as soon as I hit it with the brush the same.

I'm wondering if I'm just dealing with old powder built up in the chamber/threads of the nipple and then mostly just 20+ years of copper in barrel?

End of the day it's a sub 100 yard gun, but I don't want to pit out the barrel 🤷‍♂️
I think you are on to something with the old build up theory. Have you ever scoped it to check for pitting? I inherited an in-line that sat uncleaned in a garage for years. The rust was unbelievable. I would scrub and scrub then get clean patches and if I brushed it would start all over again.

I finally plugged one end of the barrel then filled it up with Kroil oil and left it for a week. Then I went to work with a tight fitting brush and JB’s compound (soft lapping compound). After an hour or so and wearing out two brushes in the process I couldn’t get a dirty patch.

That being said, you answered your own question. It’s a sub MOA gun. You are doing something right and I wouldn’t be worried about the old build up. BH 209 takes nothing to clean. I don’t see how you aren’t sufficiently clean to avoid damage after 5-10min.

My method copies @Kaitum, with the exception that i add distilled white vinegar.

Learned from the old days of doing Civil War reenactments back in my high school days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back