Black Crack

----

Hoping for some input on what to do with a cracked ebony tip.

The cracks been there for a while, but I didn't think it was that bad until I took the gun apart for a good cleaning a couple weeks ago. It's in pretty sad shape.

Is there any way to salvage it? It won't spread into the walnut, correct?

It's frustrating because there's no scuffs on the stock at all, I don't think there was an impact that caused the separation.

20160629_071505_zpsfijy6liv.jpg

20160629_071520_zpssdoxcuzw.jpg

20160629_071547_zps3cpygygv.jpg

Tape the whole front half of the stock off except the crack, you'll want to massage some epoxy as far down into the crack as you can, set up a jug to squeeze it back where it belongs. Depending on the how much of a mess the over run on epoxy causes, will determine if you have to sand and paint the end. I'd think a smith could pull it off without the need to sand.

I definitely wouldn't shoot it anymore until the crack in under control from spreading.

Take it to a smith and have them fix it. Should cost less than 20% of what a McMillan would cost.

Hey Randy, Dan Coffin in Victor is a wizard with stocks. Might have him take a look. mtmuley

Hey Randy, Dan Coffin in Victor is a wizard with stocks. Might have him take a look. mtmuley

Take this advice, goat slayer.

A smith will make it look like the crack was never there and it will be stronger.

$25 bucks and a week at the Smith later and it's now a filled crack. I'm glad I didn't mess with it.

20160819_182706.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back