Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bitterroot muleys

MTLivin

Not looking for anyones secret spots here, just wondering how the mule deer herds are fairing in SW MT and also looking for insight on some realistic draw odds units. I live in Helena and hunted central MT and the breaks this season, it was a hard winter in the breaks and we didn't even hear of a deer over 160" spotted, central MT deer herds weathered ok but trophy potential is low on public. I'm looking at some of the units bordering the glory tags like unit 250 and wondering how the trophy potential is? This is a tough state to consistently find anything over 160", still looking for that elusive MT buck over 170" and wondering if its worth applying in any of the other bitterroot units to find what I'm after? Thanks in advance, Greg

Wish I could help you...other than you could start looking for jobs in CO. :)

There a bucks like that here in the Bitterroot. The issue will be access. Youll find most of the bigboys on the ag lands and private stuff. I dont see it as worth it if you are in Helena, I'd go to SE MT.

There a bucks like that here in the Bitterroot. The issue will be access. Youll find most of the bigboys on the ag lands and private stuff. I dont see it as worth it if you are in Helena, I'd go to SE MT.
The issue isn't access. The issue is the best units are LE. There are bucks like you want in the unlimiteds or fringe areas. If you don't live here, and don't want to give up hunting mule deer bucks anywhere else, don't apply for the unlimited areas. If you lived here, I'd say go for it. Tough hunting, but doable, and easier if you are minutes away from the unit. But, after the late winter we are having..... mtmuley

Although 250 borders 270, the habitat is very different. Public land? Yes. Good winter range and lots of open clear cuts for feed? No. I wouldn't count on finding similar trophies as 270 in that unit.

250 has been limited entry for some years now. Guys I know that hunt it say there are some great bucks in and around that unit. mtmuley

Almost picked off a trophy on 93 near Hamilton a while back,with the truck.
Course it waas after dark, so it would prob be considered poaching....:rolleyes:

250 has been limited entry for some years now. Guys I know that hunt it say there are some great bucks in and around that unit. mtmuley

270 was expanded to encompass the best deer range that HD 250 had. It's now down to the Main West Fork water shed and doesn't have the winter range available. Historically the deer there use to bug out the first week of archery. Travel through the Selway and end up over in Idaho. Then Idaho decided to have a late winter muzzy season on that winter range. End of the big West Fork bucks. I spent a ton of time there last year and saw 10 deer total.

Shoot, guess maybe "great buck" is a relative term. I was just going off what I was told as I tend to hunt further North than that.I think a good way to find a good mule deer in the Root, besides the obvious, would be the wilderness only permit. 3 months to find a buck beginning October first. mtmuley

I know very little about the bitterroot deer, but that is where I applied along with massive amounts of other people. I'm past my days of making fun of somebody for shooting a buck bedded in somebody's flowerbed, behind the barn, or eating applies next to a swing set. I would find a way to enjoy that if I drew a permit.

With the way they've re-structured the units, 262 is the only tag that'll have swing-set bucks, and the way they're managing that there wont be big bucks around for long. Every other unit you're going to want to be targeting forest service.

With the way they've re-structured the units, 262 is the only tag that'll have swing-set bucks, and the way they're managing that there wont be big bucks around for long. Every other unit you're going to want to be targeting forest service.
From what I've seen, the decline of 262 has begun. mtmuley

It's odd to see so much posted about access issues and backyard bucks in the Bitterroot. It's maybe ten percent of the mule deer habitat in the valley that falls into this category. I guess that ten percent has been really good at kicking out big bucks, so that breeds the reputation.

I can think of 6 or 7 good (180"+) bitterroot bucks posted on this site the last handful of years, and only one that I can think of wasn't a forest service buck.

It's odd to see so much posted about access issues and backyard bucks in the Bitterroot. It's maybe ten percent of the mule deer habitat in the valley that falls into this category. I guess that ten percent has been really good at kicking out big bucks, so that breeds the reputation.

I can think of 6 or 7 good (180"+) bitterroot bucks posted on this site the last handful of years, and only one that I can think of wasn't a forest service buck.
I think that the 10 percent holds bucks that are highly visible throughout the year to just about anybody. I also think that what is now 262 is the reason that "261" became a desirable permit. mtmuley

I measure a good handful of these bucks each year, the vast majority come off private land. Accessing private land in the Bitterroot is notoriously difficult. Im sure there are public land bucks within the unit, but from harvest data I have seen, most aren't.

I measure a good handful of these bucks each year, the vast majority come off private land. Accessing private land in the Bitterroot is notoriously difficult. Im sure there are public land bucks within the unit, but from harvest data I have seen, most aren't.

You're right, my apologies. Don't apply without access.

Baloney. mtmuley

I applied for full on swing set mode. Don’t care what any of you have to say about it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back