Bitterroot muleys

So funny story...I was on an archery depredation hunt in a state park in NY and the deer were on the acorns off the oaks in the playground. I had a ground blind near there, but couldnt get close enough for a shot. It was the end if the season for the park and no one was there, so I climbed up into the slide like the pic above and used it as my ground blind. It definitely felt weird, but was very effective.

Greenhorn, hot tip for if you draw. Bring irrigation chaps, a long sleeve shirt, a floppy straw hat and a beat up four-wheeler wirh a shovel strapped on it. Ultimate 262 hunting costume. Oh, and a good, dark tan will help also. mtmuley

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up putting my hat in 291, I don't personally know of anything great in there but its close enough that I would beat it hard enough to find out. I also talked to the local biologist and she didn't have much good to say about 250 either. I'm sure one of you local guys could find a nice buck in there though.

On another note I subscribed to GoHunt this year and am still working through the BS factor they've applied to every unit in the west for trophy potential, some seem pretty good and others are quite a bit off. They are showing good trophy potential in ID just across the border from 250 and after doing some research on the MT side its hard to believe the imaginary border is keeping all of the 180" deer in ID.

October vs. November seaon can make quite a difference on quality.

[QUOTE="MTLivin, post: 2801467, member: 24869"

On another note I subscribed to GoHunt this year and am still working through the BS factor they've applied to every unit in the west for trophy potential, some seem pretty good and others are quite a bit off. They are showing good trophy potential in ID just across the border from 250 and after doing some research on the MT side its hard to believe the imaginary border is keeping all of the 180" deer in ID.
[/QUOTE]

Back in the early 90's I shed hunted both sides of the boarder south of Dillon and Bozeman. Didn't take long and I quit looking in Montana. I found big antlers just about anywhere I went in Idaho and big ones were few and far between in Montana.

Go Hunt posted an interesting Montana deer article this week. Look through the graphs and you can basically see the mule deer numbers have tanked in most of the regions in the state. If you were to make an average line over the last 11 years it would basically point strait down the toilet for most regions, especially the western ones.

Go Hunt posted an interesting Montana deer article this week. Look through the graphs and you can basically see the mule deer numbers have tanked in most of the regions in the state. If you were to make an average line over the last 11 years it would basically point strait down the toilet for most regions, especially the western ones.

I thought that article made things sound pretty rosy for most of MT.

I believe that imaginary line runs all the way around MT with similar results. That line on the maps seems to be an extraordinary big buck repellant. Certainly not 100% effective though, giving hope to dreamers like myself.
I would be curious what a guy would find in those same areas in Idaho now. Not that I would print it on the www.
The best place was just unreal. It is with in 20 miles of the MT border. On more than day I found antlers from a half dozen 180+ bucks. I wasn't the first antler hunter there. I found several stacks of antlers other people had piled three feet or better high. I would dig through the piles to see if there was any big ones and leave the rest. I didn't keep track back in those days of how many antlers I found but I did pick close to 50 big antlers form that spot alone.
I made it back about 8 years ago and it wasn't nearly as good. I found some antlers but none were real big. I don't know if that was dew to fewer big deer or just a lot more competition from other antler hunters.

Last edited:
Here's a laugher- in 2018 1,287 non resident, non landowners applied for the 110 buck permits in 250, 261, 262 or 270 as their first choice. Any guesses on how many drew?

Last edited:
If you guessed zero you'd be right. How're those for draw odds?
Our mule deer hunting here is drawing applicants off of the glory years of 270. I don't think most applicants that aren't local have any idea what they are in for if they draw. The internet and other media made a couple areas popular. Some applicants apply out of habit I think. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back