MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bitcoin - Cryptocurrency

Serious question @Flatrock, @TOGIE, @ajricketts and anybody else that is following crypto...

Where do you think BTC & ETH are on 12/31/2021?

I'll say BTC at $50-60k and ETH at $6-7k

I can see that being a reality ^

though I’m personally thinking more conservative on eth, maybe 3-4 grand. I have no idea how eth2.0 will effect everything but my assumption is that it will create value. Plus, it seems with staking more and more eth will be locked up reducing circulating supply. So I could see your prices being very realistic

BTC could go anywhere lol, way higher is very plausible

though I’m expecting a crash sometime between now and summer

Interesting for sure. I am hesitant to invest anything now, but hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have invested (or gambled) a few dollars a while back.

Last edited:
In 2016, four of us bought 20 coins( units), since then we all went our separate ways. Mine sat in a wallet till 2018 when I sold them at around 12k. On my birthday late March 2019, I again purchased two units( coins) at around 4500....... not sure what if anything I do with them at this point.

But the argument is for higher demand. A ETH sitting in your wallet isn't participating in the economy, increasing its use and its demand and , thereby, its "value".

Anyway, thought this was a funny description of the main problem.

View attachment 168895

i'm not interested in helping create demand, i'm interested in reaping benefits from demand I think is going to occur - don't forget, i'm buying lottery tickets over here, not investing ;)

things like eth weren't really meant to be currency anyway, they support and validate decentralized blockchains, which is where the value is in terms of what the technology is capable of. that's why i bet on eth and just constantly wish i bought more btc back when i was buying eth

i'm not interested in helping create demand, i'm interested in reaping benefits from demand I think is going to occur - don't forget, i'm buying lottery tickets over here, not investing ;)

things like eth weren't really meant to be currency anyway, they support and validate decentralized blockchains, which is where the value is in terms of what the technology is capable of. that's why i bet on eth and just constantly wish i bought more btc back when i was buying eth
The technology is very useful and will be used in different ways in the future. But there is no copywrite or "moat" to blockchain technology, hence why there are thousands of digital currencies. I have yet to hear a solid argument for any of the currencies. ETH is the latest because it is only $1,000 not $33,000 like BTC and people think "It's cheaper! Yeah!". "Hope" is not a strategy. You can pay me $1000 for a really cool rock and you can put it in your basement and try to sell it 10yrs from now for more. Basically the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I hope ETH goes to $100,000 and you make out like a bandit. But this idiot is not going to participate in hopes of finding a bigger idiot later in the game, especially without a clear vision of what it is we are exchanging.

The technology is very useful and will be used in different ways in the future. But there is no copywrite or "moat" to blockchain technology, hence why there are thousands of digital currencies. I have yet to hear a solid argument for any of the currencies. ETH is the latest because it is only $1,000 not $33,000 like BTC and people think "It's cheaper! Yeah!". "Hope" is not a strategy. You can pay me $1000 for a really cool rock and you can put it in your basement and try to sell it 10yrs from now for more. Basically the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I hope ETH goes to $100,000 and you make out like a bandit. But this idiot is not going to participate in hopes of finding a bigger idiot later in the game, especially without a clear vision of what it is we are exchanging.

you underestimate how dumb myself and the general population is and what our collective minds will give value to 😉

Does it seem like a good investment right now? :sneaky:
This is from yesterday.

The price of bitcoin has plummeted by more than $5,000 in what is the single biggest crash in its history. ... Bitcoin had never previously lost more than $4,000 in the space of a few hours, though more severe crashes in terms of percentage losses were seen following the 2017 bull run.1 day ago

Like I said, you want to buy a rock- on sale - $999.99
First you have show me a bunch of other idiots that have already bought them for +/- that price, plus others who paid less and others who paid more. In other words, show me the demand that bitcoin and others seem to be generating.

I can easily agree that it's basically a bet, but you can't ignore that BTC prices are up +/- 77% over the last month, and up +/- 268% over the last 6 months.

Bitcoin is shiny and trendy, it only has value because it’s shiny and trendy. But it’s value may just keep going up regardless

eth has real value in the long haul IMO. Very impressive underlying technology

here’s my take:

don’t buy Bitcoin

buy eth, but only buy it with the mindset of a lottery ticket. Be willing to never see the money again. And buy it with the mindset to never sell... for a long time that is. But, I think eth is going places in the long haul. I.e. I don’t think it’s too late necessarily
my thinking also. The interest in crypto's outweighs, and is much broader than any 'investment' asset out there. so it probably appreciates further than you would guess.
But I don't know how you assign an underlying value to it

my thinking also. The interest in crypto's outweighs, and is much broader than any 'investment' asset out there. so it probably appreciates further than you would guess.
But I don't know how you assign an underlying value to it

right now you can’t assign value. You rely entirely on the supply and demand of the digital asset which is at the whims of trendiness... and (hopefully) whether or not corporations want to adopt the technology the underlies the trendy asset. For me, I couldn’t give a rats booty why it goes up in value, but I’m gonna bet that it does

I also put my email in for the hgtv dream home giveaway every day 😁

right now you can’t assign value. You rely entirely on the supply and demand of the digital asset which is at the whims of trendiness... and (hopefully) whether or not corporations want to adopt the technology the underlies the trendy asset. For me, I couldn’t give a rats booty why it goes up in value, but I’m gonna bet that it does

I also put my email in for the hgtv dream home giveaway every day 😁

Exactly. And also why I've bought TSLA stock several times despite nearly every expert saying it is overvalued by an enormous factor. People like it, and sometimes that's enough.

Exactly. And also why I've bought TSLA stock several times despite nearly every expert saying it is overvalued by an enormous factor. People like it, and sometimes that's enough.

i keep coming back to that when I think about crypto. At a basic level how different is it from stocks?

It’s like, yeah, there is a lot more to stock than whether or not people simply and only think it has value. BUT we have to be honest, that's kinda also all that it is. a shitty companies stock can go up, because people say it has value, for whatever crazy reason

Last edited:
i keep coming back to that when I think about crypto. At a basic level how different is it from stocks?

It’s like, yeah, there is a lot more to stock than whether or not people simply and only think it has value. BUT we have to be honest, that's kinda also all that it is. a shitty companies stock can go up, because people say it has value, for whatever crazy reason
You are thinking in terms of how market value is created. The difference between a stock and a cryptocurrency is enormous from a legal perspective. A lot of this is because traditional markets are highly regulated, which is coming for crypto, but still a difference. My simple answer is I know what a share of stock gives me (shitty company or not), but I don't what a BTC or ETH does for me. I can transact for things in certain places, but I guarantee that the corporation I transact with immediately converts that BTC to US $. How do I know? because BTC lost 17% in like 30min overnight on Sunday. Any company is in the business of selling whatever it might be, not betting on BTC prices. Net demand can be unimpacted even as velocity goes up. The current rise is getting it noticed by the media (and HT'ers), but not doing much in terms of building credibility.

BTC lost 17% in like 30min overnight on Sunday.
Cherry picking info much? What's it done in the last two weeks, two month, six months, year?

The current rise is getting it noticed by the media (and HT'ers), but not doing much in terms of building credibility.
Don't tell that to JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Square, PayPal, etc... All of them have taken pro-crypto positions recently.

This run has been largely fueled by institutional investors, something that differentiates it from the 2017 run.

I'm not a BTC fan and don't own any, but I do think I'll regret that someday. I'm just not sure enough about it to put my money where my mouth is.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back