Birria bombs

So I’m interested to hear from anyone who’s done both traditional Birria and the bombs as to a comparison? I’ve only done the traditional, and quite frankly, it’s a bit of a pain with toasting the chilis, then soaking them, then making the purée. But there’s also a certain pleasure in doing all of that to understand and appreciate how flavors come together. But if there’s no difference in the taste of the end product, I’ve been there done that and happy to take the easy way out going forward. I asked the owner of my local Mexican joint about it, and he said he hadn’t tried the bombs and never will. He makes some kick ass Birria.
Try the Bombs. Use beef broth and a can of Cold Smoke. It is good. mtmuley
 
I had an antelope shoulder in the freezer and this thread provided some great inspiration. I made beef Birria with a chuck roast (the traditional way) for a work cinco de mayo potluck, and the one last night with a Birria bomb and antelope shoulder was definitely better. For sure never cutting up another antelope shoulder again. This is the way.
 
I had an antelope shoulder in the freezer and this thread provided some great inspiration. I made beef Birria with a chuck roast (the traditional way) for a work cinco de mayo potluck, and the one last night with a Birria bomb and antelope shoulder was definitely better. For sure never cutting up another antelope shoulder again. This is the way.
Works with deer shoulder and shanks from any critters. I'm a bomb fan for sure. mtmuley
 
I wanted to follow up on this with my second round…

Had one more venison roast in the freezer. Dropped it in the crock pot for 10.5hr with the following:
-1 can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
-2 diced jalapeños
-3.25 cups beef broth*
-3 packs of Asadero Spanglish Birria seasoning

Definitely turned out better than the Bomb in our opinion due to a lower clove flavor. More of a “sauce” after it was done. No MSGs. A few bucks cheaper.

Made excellent burritos and Birria tacos.

*Will use 1.75 or 2 cups next time
 
I had an antelope shoulder in the freezer and this thread provided some great inspiration. I made beef Birria with a chuck roast (the traditional way) for a work cinco de mayo potluck, and the one last night with a Birria bomb and antelope shoulder was definitely better. For sure never cutting up another antelope shoulder again. This is the way.
Works with deer shoulder and shanks from any critters. I'm a bomb fan for sure. mtmuley
Are you guys using strictly shoulder or leaving shank on?
 
Are you guys using strictly shoulder or leaving shank on?
Mine was shoulder + shank, but I’ll be separating them in the future. The whole leg wouldn’t fit in a crockpot so I had to use a turkey pan and the amount of liquid wasn’t optimal for the braising portion but I didn’t want to water it down too much.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,132
Messages
2,250,817
Members
39,098
Latest member
MuskegMunitions
Back
Top