Bighorn, get the Coors on ice.

shoots-straight

Advisory council proposal tabs 130 wolves for hunting
By EVE BYRON - Independent Record - 12/11/07
Up to 130 wolves in Montana could be shot next year as part of a first-time wolf-hunting season proposal put forth by Montana’s Wolf Management Advisory Council Monday.

The 10-person group of ranchers, hunters, scientists and others didn’t tie its recommendation to that number as a quota. But 130 wolves could be killed in Montana — half of which probably would be shot for preying on livestock — without reducing the overall number of wolves in the state. That’s the amount of anticipated population increase next year due to births and immigration, according to Carolyn Sime, wolf coordinator for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Keeping the population stable at present levels would aid scientists as they try to figure out how many wolves the landscape and inhabitants of Montana can tolerate and sustain, Sime noted after the meeting.

“We took a look at last year’s information and created a variety of scenarios and the potential outcome of different levels of harvest,” Sime said. “We looked at what was too much and could jeopardize Montana’s population; what would maintain what we have got; and if we took less than that, how fast the population would grow.

“So we took the conservative approach, using an educated guess. That could vary from year to year.”

The initial recommendation will be sent to the FWP commission, which will set tentative 2008-09 quotas and hunting seasons for a range of wildlife at its Dec. 20 meeting in Helena, then put it out for public comment.

A final decision is expected in February.

Using the present population as a “status quo” clearly bothered some council members, who said the number of breeding pairs and packs in Montana already is well above what was recommended in its plan seven years ago.

“We need to honor our management plan,” said Jim Cross, a retired FWP wildlife manager and hunter. “We have at least twice as many packs as we recommended in the management plan. ... I understand taking the conservative approach, but this is one time where we have to move beyond conservative.”

Wolves were put on the Endangered Species List in 1973 after being hunted to near extinction in the lower 48 states.

But reintroduction and recovery work started in 1995 have burgeoned their population, with more than 1,200 gray wolves populating the Northern Rockies.

Montana’s management plan, recommended by the advisory council and adopted by the federal government as part of the endangered species delisting process, called for a minium population of 100 wolves. Initially, the state found 10 breeding pairs to be a sustainable population goal, but the advisory council revised that to 15 pairs to ensure the success of the species.

With an anticipated population of 400 wolves in Montana by the end of the year — including 40 breeding pairs — some council members wondered whether they were betraying a public that had mixed feelings about the reintroduction of the wolves.

But Robin Hompesch, a high-school biology teacher and hunter from Bozeman, noted that the management plan also didn’t put a cap on the number of wolves for Montana. She believes the human tolerance will expose itself over time.

“But there was never an assumption that you just let the population explode,” Cross countered. “Then you’re not managing the wolves. I have just one question — at what threshold are wolves represented on the landscape? 100? 200? 600?”

Terry Beaver, a retired school teacher in Helena, added that if this conversation took place only a year ago, the status quo would have been 290 wolves.

If it took place in another year, that number would be closer to 550.

Other recommendations to be sent to the FWP commission include splitting the state into three wolf-management units, with hunters being allowed to shoot wolves in any of the units until harvest goals are reached.

Those goals could vary from year to year based on a number of factors, Sime said.

The fall hunting season tentatively will run from Sept. 15 to the last Sunday in November, with resident licenses set by the legislature at $19 for residents and $325 for non-residents.

The council decided to maintain the opportunity for the FWP to set a trapping season for wolves, but noted that might not be palatable to the public initially.

“But the council affirmed today there is some value in moving forward now,” Sime said. “It’s worthwhile and very clear that we have to begin conservatively so we don’t jeopardize the wolf population here.”

Get the coors on ice, we're going wolf hunting.

SS you're jumping the gun a bit here. Do you really think we will be able to hunt them in 2008? Not going to hold my breath.

This comment from the council was fairly disappointing......

"The council decided to maintain the opportunity for the FWP to set a trapping season for wolves, but noted that might not be palatable to the public initially."

Do you think we will be able to hunt them like the buffalo? Find a subaru parked on the side of the road and start glassing?

Other recommendations to be sent to the FWP commission include splitting the state into three wolf-management units, with hunters being allowed to shoot wolves in any of the units until harvest goals are reached.

I could see the above qoute being blown up by the huggers. It might be a better option to have drawing tags. JMO.

Should be interesting how this plays out. Since we are way above population objectives it is about time. BUt the enviros will try to spin it somehow in court to drag it out.

Cool.

Can we trap them? When I lived in northern MN and trapped, I caught wolves by accident while setting for fox and coyote. They were released by wardens and USFWS. They are very easy to trap.

Sign me up!

This comment from the council was fairly disappointing......

Ah, the ever present Duke of doubt. It will take trapping to control the wolf population I believe. Hunting them would keep them away from conflicts to a point and take enough to slow the population.
Hunting first, then latter trapping.

"Hunting first, then latter trapping"

No SS, lawsuits first.....then appeals.......then maybe a hunt in 3 to 5 years. But at least we are moving forward.

The lawsuit has to have merit to give the judge the power to halt a hunting season. After wolves are delisted, EIS in place, all our T's crossed and i's dotted a lawsuit won't do squat. BTW, greenies can at any time try and sue the state to stop any season. I point out the fact that we now hunt Buffalo.

Again your a downer. I read the whole story today and it says the season will run Sept. 15 through the end of hunting season. You can tell the people that are involved in the proposal aren't sportsmen. The season should run through March. Make sure of complete harvest, and get the wolves when they follow the elk to winter range, which is when they get into trouble... Is what happens is the Game wardens and other state employee's will be killing the most of the wolves not he hunters.

SS,

Dont expect BHR to make good on his bets...buy your own beer to celebrate after you kill a wolf.

I'll celebrate just for being able to purchase the tag....I would hope that BHR would be the stand up guy I've always thought he was and make good on his bet..:D

"So when's WY gonna hunt wolves...?"

Feds give formal approval to Wyoming wolf plan

Associated Press - December 14, 2007 6:05 PM ET

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has given formal approval to a plan that it helped to write that spells out how wolves would be managed in Wyoming.

The Fish and Wildlife Service drafted the plan early this year and presented it to Wyoming officials. The state's acceptance of the plan broke a deadlock that had threatened to leave Wyoming out of the ongoing process of removing wolves from protections under the federal Threatened and Endangered Species Act the northern Rocky Mountains. Both Montana and Idaho already have federally approved plans.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has been holding public hearings about its proposal to remove the protections from the wolf. Final action could occur possibly in all three states as soon as early next year.

Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal says the federal agency's acceptance of the state plan is an encouraging sign that wolves in the state will soon be removed from the Endangered Species List.

Latest roadblock S. S.. I can't get any links to the copy of the letter to work at this time or would post it here.

Five members of the United States House of Representatives banded together to write a letter opposing wolf delisting in the Northern Rockies.

The letter was signed by Representatives Nick Joe Rahall, II, George Miller, Norm Dicks, Wayne T. Gilchrest and Jim Saxton.

The letter concluded: "Until reasonable, sustainable state management plans are in place, we urge you not to delist the northern Rocky Mountain wolves."

The letter was sent to U.S. Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne.

Don't MT ID and now Wyoming have those plans approved?
Typical congressmen getting involved in something when pushed by enviromental Lobbyists (ranting about our "elected officials" not wolf management). Maybe they should do a little homework before signing there name to something.
BHR what states are these reps from?

Here's the run down of states these Reps are from....no surprise the're from the East and West Coast.

Congressmen Nick Joe Rahall (D-WV), George Miller (D-CA), Norm Dix (D-WA), Wayne Gilcrest (R-MD), Jim Saxton (R-NJ)

The 3 states wolf management plans have all been approved by the USFWS, but will no doubt be challenged in court. This letter will be used to support the challenge. Don't rule out one of these guys slipping language into a bigger bill blocking Rocky Mountain wolf delisting, which would become law once signed by the President....whom ever that might be. There's been talk of using that stratagy to block grizzly bear delisting too.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back